Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone skilled at web site design? Looking for help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone skilled at web site design? Looking for help..

Anyone have the skills? is there someone who wants to develop a web page dedicated to the gentleman that Banfster has been introducing us to over the last few weeks...Bamfster made a good point, he would like to bring everyone together, so we could share in this mans experiences...however that is not possible...but if someone here were willing to archive the photos, and develop a simple site to chronicle this mans achievements it would be truly awesome and would allow countless others to share in this bit of automotive history...there are tons of pages dedicated to the big names....but this guy was one of us...a low budget, do it yourself-er...and it would be bad ass if we could help develop a site dedicated to him....we have talented writers here...they could help develop stories and bamfstr is scanning all the original photos and should be able to give details.

See "A Local legend Discovered"

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: Anyone skilled at web site design? Looking for help..

Joe, THANK YOU!

I'm more than happy to do this, and I know Jimmy will break down in tears if it comes to fruition. Thanks in advance to anyone that is capable and willing to assist.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

BUMP,

c'mon....someone knows or knows somebody who wants to tackle this.....
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I remember someone previously saying they did that for a living (they were talking about BS site with Brian I believe) but I will be darned if I can remember who it was now of course. If we keep this near the top I'm sure he'll see it when he logs on. I'd love to see the website come to life but I probably know the least about computers of anyone on here. - Phil
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

most online providers (aol/verizon/yahoo) offer it as part of your internet
          and alow you to make a web site page for every emaill addy..
          take verizon/dsl with msn or yahoo
          I can have up to 8 email addys and web site with 1 or 2 gig. each for free as part of the wopping 14.99 a month dsl fee...
          and the page builder part runs you through building your page or pages..
          simple

Comment

there are plenty of places to host a web site but it takes some skill and imagination to get it to look good...I could prob toss one together but I think a page like this should look good visualy and flow with the stories....if I did it it would look like a bunch of vintage photos were posted by a crosseyed chimp...

Comment

Not sure if this will help but there is another site called Hubgarage where you can start your own garage, post pictures and blog. Check out my site. http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage

Comment

My hobby site is built with MS Front Page and is basically a link farm. I wasn't going after looks, just content.

I've built several sites for the company I work for using Dreamweaver. Dreamweaver software is pricey, but it allows you to do frames (where you have an index always visible on the side or wherever you want it) and more stuff somewhere else on the screens.

I'm not by any means a pro at it, but it seems that most great-looking sites are built with frames. Frames are a bit more tedious for the webmaster to keep up with, but in most cases that's what makes a site look "professional."

For an "I've got content and I want to get it out" site, I'd recommend one of the hosted and you-build it deals. They host it for about ...well it's cheap, maybe 5 bucks a month? and you edit it yourself. It has the feel of PowerPoint when you start, with a selection of templates you just throw your content into.

My ex-boss's wife wanted to start a website for her photography business and I put her onto http://www.homestead.com

She's computer savvy but knew nothing about web software, and she had her site up in an hour.

Just a thought, not a commercial. My boss asked me how to make a web without using somebody else to do it for you, and I did a Google search. There are a lot of packages out there like that.

pw
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I completely agree on the need to get the word out.

I can make it be a link on the Weeville home page to Local Legend, but I really think it wouldn't get the traffic it deserves. It should be a free-standing website. Plus, the address would be long: weeville. com/local legend etc. Too hard to find. The bots wouldn't find it easily on the search engines.

And I can't make it be visually pretty. I have a few skills, but I don't have the talent called graphics design, and neither does MS FrontPage, from what I know about it.

I stand behind my own suggestion that you get a hosted service where you build the site yourself. And that's after lots of thought on the matter.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I would recommend you find a computer nerd, have him set you up a http://wordpress.org/ site. And then you can add content to that as easy as you can make posts here.

The neccessary domain name and hosting should come in at less than $100 a year. But you'll have a freestanding website, that is super easy to maintain and post new content to, that you can easily change the look of, that you don't loose when you decide to change your internet service.....

just my $0.02

Comment

Originally posted by 91xcabpro
                      I would recommend you find a computer nerd, have him set you up a http://wordpress.org/ site. And then you can add content to that as easy as you can make posts here.

The neccessary domain name and hosting should come in at less than $100 a year. But you'll have a freestanding website, that is super easy to maintain and post new content to, that you can easily change the look of, that you don't loose when you decide to change your internet service.....

just my $0.02
                      I was just going to say the same thing, I use Wordpress on my site and it's super-easy to add new content as it comes up. There's literally thousands of great templates to give it a nice look, and most of them can be slightly customized (colour/graphics/etc.) I pay about $100 hosting/year, and the domain is registered through a separate company for $10/year. If you want to cheap out, there's wordpress.com, which is free but restricts the choices for style, and you can't post ads or other revenue-generating stuff to recover costs, support charity, etc. Not that these sites ever make money, just sayin'......

Comment

I think I can help out here.
                        I do webhosting on the side and host about 60 sites and even more domainnames already.
                        All of my own sites have been build with Wordpress. Use it for my homepage too. I can also install forum-software if there's a need for that.

I haven't read into the topic yet of the fellow but I might be willing to setup a complete website so others can log-in and supply content.
                        www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Working...
                        X