X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First-Time Muscle Car Buyer

One of our boardmembers asked this great question

in another thread recently, and it really deserves

to be a new topic for everyone's consideration!
    ---------------------------------------------------

QUOTE: "This is a very special year for me because i'm in the market for my first muscle car. Time to lose the explorer and get something i really like now that i'm 18.

I just can't decide what i want yet. I'd like an older car, but the price can't be outrageous. I'm really trying to stay away from the efi stuff and get a solid small block. Traditionally i'm a ford guy, but i'd gladly buy a chevy or mopar if i find one i like.

Price and bang for the buck are going to be the selling points.

Anyone have any suggestions for a first time muscle car buyer?"
    -----------------------------------------------------

(THANKS for your helpful feedback!)

Re: First-Time Muscle Car Buyer

First:
    Get what you like.
    Chances are you're not going to turn much of a profit on the car, so don't buy it based on what it's worth, could be worth, or will be worth one day.
    Second:
    Know your limits.
    Don't buy something with rusted out floorpans unless you know you can weld in new ones or can afford to pay someone else to. Too many cars get "half done" because people run out of money and don't know how to do those last few things that need to be done. If you're an engine guy, look for a good body. If you're a body guy, look for a good engine. Everyone loves a challenge, but you have to know what obstacles you're close to being able to negotiate.
    Third:
    Don't be afraid to ask.
    With the limitless information available on the internet, don't be afraid to admit you don't know something. Or that you don't know how to do something. This goes hand in hand with number two. It's much easier to learn to conquer obstacles if you're not afraid to ask for help.

I'll leave it at three for now.
    HAPPY HUNTING!

Comment

My suggestion - Mustang or last gen Camaro. Both are good deals for the money, available with V8 power, have rear drive, they're kind of nice looking, and are fairly plentiful. Sorry MOPAR doesn't have anything in this category, but you get the picture. Another choice is a S10 or Ranger for a V8 engine swap. Both of these have swap kits readily available, and they make great first time cruisers. Don't cheap out on the swap kit - get the mounts, headers, etc, as the more that comes in the kit, the better and easier the swap will be. You can build on any of these as your money and experience grow - suspension, brakes, back-half, etc.

Hope this helps
      Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Two Lane Blacktop
        "This is a very special year for me because i'm in the market for my first muscle car. Time to lose the explorer and get something i really like now that i'm 18.
        Go price insurance first!

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

In my opinion being a traditional ford guy is one of the best things for a new muscle car buyer. I look around all the time and see great deals on early mustangs. A second gen camaro would also be a great choice. I would also have to agree with Dan a little bit as much as it pains me that finding a good entry level mopar might be difficult. They are out there but inexpensive starts usually require some drivetrain upgrades before even mild motors can be applied ( stupid 7 1/4 rear ends). One other thing, don't be so quick to get rid of that daily driver unless you need the money for the new car, this can help considerably with what kind of vehicle you start with, You can get something a little less perfect but more what you want if it doesn't have to get you to work on monday

Comment

As an older guy thats gone thru a lot of tinkering modes (and will be back to it once I land a garage to play in) I would look at something simple and with ample parts around. I'm thinking along the lines of a 65ish ford falcon because they aren't ultra common bodies and I think the 289's were pretty straightforward.

If you are just learning to take em apart and put em back together I'd look for a mid to late 70's triumph sptifire. I've had 2 of them and its a hoot to be able to lift the whole hood assy (they pivot forward) and work on the engine while sitting on the tires. I know its sorta sacriledge to talk about a 1500CC mill as muscle but you can run them up at high revs and have a blast on twisty turnies. Lots of parts around and the ones you can't scrounge locally are pretty cheap mail order.

dare to be different!!!! just my 2 cents.

Comment

I went through this scenario four years ago when.
              I got out of the AMC hobby because of parts....hard to find and high priced.
              One of my main criteria for my next ride was parts.........
              I ended up buying my 70 Nova and have been
              pleased with the availability of parts and prices.

Comment

flog it hard on the test drive. if you can break it, don't buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.WFO
                  flog it hard on the test drive. if you can break it, don't buy it.
                  THAT is funny! I am conjuring images of the seller having the keys returned to him and the expression on his face when he is told. "It quit running and there is a puddle of oil from one front tire to the other."

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Two Lane Blacktop..... thanks for making a new thread on my question i posted

and thanks for all the input you guys have given me

Comment

Some other bits of wisdom...

Don't buy the best you can afford, buy the best you can find. If good examples of Car X are out of your price range, look for a cheaper Car Y where it's easier to find one in mint condition for cheap. Restoring a rat can cost more than starting with a good car. Unless, of course, the learning experience is a top priority.

It's easier to find mechanical bits than body and trim parts. If you have to get a beater, it's better to get a car with no engine than a car with bad bodywork and missing chrome.

Test EVERYTHING! My brother and I have managed to pick up several cars with issues that some good testing could have prevented. Some examples:

- The owner started my '66 Dart with no apparent difficulty. I should have tried myself - there was a very big trick to it. (Rebuilding the carb cured this, however.)
                      - My brother's Ranchero looked nice but somebody had simply filled in rust holes with Bondo and painted some shiny pearl paint over it. One of the subframe rails was completely rusted away. A look under the car would have found this in no time.
                      - The first time I turned on the headlights on a Triumph Spitfire and left them on, the high beam switch burst into flames. I had only switched them on for a few seconds when test driving it. Double check anything electrical on British cars. (Spitfires are incredibly easy to work on and very cheap, though, so I have to second 03maurauder's suggestion.)

Comment

Buy a running, driving car! I know it's hard to pass up the great deals on cars that are partially or completely disassembled. But for your first car, putting one back together can turn into a huge nightmare. I've done this several times and it's amazing how many little parts end up missing. You can expect to double the time and money you think it will take to get the car back on the road. I'm putting together a Chevelle now that 2 of my good friends pulled the motor and front clip off of 12 years ago for a rebuild and detailing. All of the parts were labeled, boxed up and kept in the same place with the car the whole time. I'm missing all kinds of crap! :o If it wasn't for my vast supply of spare parts and network of car buddies, this car would break me. I'd also recommend looking to the mid 70's stuff. The cars are still stupidly cheap, v8 rear wheel drive platforms, and parts are plentiful. With the right wheel / tire / stance combo just about anything can look cool.

Comment

high fives to Matt...
                          2 more cents on shopping for a toy- warm it up while you a chatting with the seller, then take him/her with you as a passenger and drive the begeezus out of the car...if the seller looks worried, theres something wrong...if you get out a good ways and run thru all the gears at high rpms and really mash the hell out of the brakes..and have fun doing all this and THEN he/she tells you to ride shotgun so they can really show you what the car can do (it's a big plus if they can scare you half to death)....then I think it may be a worthwhile candidate....also when you get back...let the car sit and idle while you make more small talk...if it doesnt cool down correctly or you can smell oil burning on the block or see fluid drips- there's issues.

I don't think the spits are the only route to go on a sports car but they are the easiest to work on car I ever owned.

amen on getting a straight body too...I like the wrench turning but I leave the body work to those that are gifted in that area

Comment

I'd have to say too, get what you like. That's probably more like what you can afford. I'd start with a small block 350. You can find parts galore for cheap. I'd also be worried about safety. No rust buckets (less work) and the seat belts, suspension and brakes must be worked on, hopped up if you are planning on putting more power into it. I've seen plenty of Nova shells that are reasonable priced.

Comment

As I read through everyone's suggestions all I could think of to add is "Amen"! These are all great suggestions and spot on to avoid the same mistakes many of us have made or the lessons we have learned the hard way.

Comment

Working...
                              X