400 v 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 400 v 400

I have two 400 cores sitting here, one chevy the other Pontiac. I am always hearing about how fast a chevy is or how much better they are, etc. but the thing that really makes me wonder is how most say they are so cheap. So the idea came to me,why not build them both, run a trans with a dual pattern like a 2004R so I can swap the engine easily with only headers and mounts, then stuff it in something like the 75 Buick Skyhawk I have laying around and see what is faster, gets better mileage for the least amount of money in it. So its a tight budget build, and the sbc is going to end up in a truck so I want it to live longer than a couple passes.

They share the same bore and stroke 4.125x3.75 so its really close to an apples to apples comparison as long as we use similar parts. Like no aftermarket aluminum heads, gotta use factory iron heads, hydraulic flat tappet cams, and any compression ratio we can get with whatever piston we can put in it. I can run lots of squeeze cuz Im an ethanol type of guy.

So for $100 I got the Pontiac core, its a 73 400 standard bore, and along with it came some #48 heads, they have 2.11 intakes and 1.77 exhausts, screw in studs, guide plates, a 14 degree inclination, and a 67 cc chamber. I get 400s cheap all the time, usually way less than $100, but this was from a machine shop that had it sitting on the floor. In essence its like starting with a 1969 Ram Air III 400 and going from there.

The chevy is a .030 over 400 that a bud of mine built a few years back to stuff in his 3rd gen, he went to an LS1 instead and I ended up with the short block for $500. Balanced, hyper slugs, not a bad little starting point.

I have the Pontiac planned out already, stock stroke, stock intake, stock heads, mild cam around 230/234 and headers. A nice street engine that should get decent mileage and make some good power. So to keep it relatively close, lets use a similar grind for the chevy engine. The one thing undecided on the sbc is what heads to run. Since the Pontiac is running 69 vintage heads, is it fair to run Vortec heads on the sbc? That is what I have planned, but I wonder how close they are to the #48s.

So on a tight budget how would you guys spec out the chevy so it gets good mileage and makes good power without being more expensive to build than my Pontiac?

Re: 400 v 400

I'm betting on the Poncho beating the pants off the Chevy 400.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I di my 400 chevy small block so I like this idea

what were the factory rateings on a pontiac 400 I know a chevy was like 265hp 400 lbs in stock 2bbl trim {not that it matters

I have built a few my last one was a basic rering low milage block with a performer rpm intake and cam as it was a daily driver for a truck I had

good luck keep us posted

Comment

Vortec heads are the best 'stock' head out there.

even though I'd like the Pontiac to win, my money would be on the SBC... better flow..... I ran some aluminum corvette heads (stock) on a 406 SBC and really liked them (they may not work with your pistons as they are a 58cc head) made 450ish hp (11.5:1 motor).
        my 2cents
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It has been pretty clearly demonstrated that a NEW set of Vortec's flows more air is usually cheaper than any rebuilt factory "HiPo" heads.

The knock against the vortec's in your situation is the lack of a factory 4bbl intake.

So, how many CFM do those Pontiac heads flow?

Comment

two words.. cast rods..
            that and you're stuck with factory heads that are so outdated..
            any 90's truck/van can get you killer cheap chevy heads..
            I like pontaics,, but. going with stock parts and cheap.. chevys got the edge..

Comment

The 48s flow pretty well considering, but with a Pontiac its more about velocity than outright flow. Also I can get forged rods for what it would cost me to upgrade the rod bolts and resize the stock rods, $239.95 to be exact. Even if I wanted to use the stock rods and just rework them, they last ok provided you dont spin the snot out of them, which goes back to the velocity over max flow thing. A stock rod bottom end runs me just over $1000 to build with new forged slugs, balancing, and the machine work. Figure the difference in reworking the rods and a new set of forged rods is about $20 from a wash, and it can then be spun to around 6500-7000 rpm no problem, if we needed to, and we dont.

How much will it cost to upgrade the Vortec heads to screw in studs, springs that will handle a .500 lift cam, and complete a valve job? At what point does buying an aftermarket chevy head make more sense for a low budget build? The Pontiac has all of that stock, except cutting the valves and seats. If we bring the aftermarket parts in and just go for broke, the the chevy needs aftermarket parts to replace the bigger parts sooner. Heads, intakes, blocks, and unless its a steel crank one of those too. I can stroke my 400 blocks to 496ci with a drop in crank kit that runs $2k with a forged crank, two spots to clearance and its in there. Cant do that with a mouse, and its hard to reach 455 ci without an aftermarket block. Sure the chevy block is cheaper but you need it sooner to keep up. Thats why I am sticking to stock or near stock stuff.

Remember it has to make decent power, get decent mileage, and live for a while. All the very cheap chevy engines I have seen start to fall off on performance after one season and often dont make it a year of being beaten on. So cast slugs and cheap bearings and gaskets arent going to cut it. You need to bring the chevy up to the level that the Pontiac is at stock.

If I put the Vortec heads on the sbc it will probably get an RPM, because it works good. I just dont absolutely need an aftermarket intake for my Pontiac, the stock one works quite well.

Comment

I just had to browse around the net. the 400 pontiac brought back a memory of a ton truck chevy I drove at work with one welded in, and chained (yes, chained, beyond the welded motor mounts). I was 16 at the time, so stomping on the throttle was a must do. It lit it up easily.
                my bro-n-law some years later built a 400 sbc, I hated just looking at it.

now I know why:

Bore and stroke on the Chevy 4.125" x 3.75" = 400.9
                Bore and stroke on the Pontiace 4.121 x 3.75" = 400.1

Pontiacs are a bit heavier and bulkier than Chevys. Stock deck height on the SBC is 9.025" and the Pontiac is 10.24". Compare that with a BBC's height of 9.8" and you can see that its a big engine, more like the BBC tall truck block. The heads are a bit bigger as well meaning that its just physically a larger engine. Weights of a typical SBC compared to a Pontiac (both with aluminum intakes and iron exhaust) you can expect about 550 and 650 lbs, respectively.
                pontiac edge is rod ratio(?), thermal dissipation...and guessing larger mains.

keep the 400 at 9 to 1 and in a van in my own opinion, I witnessed my relative go through hell with the chevy...complete with mig welding a chunk of block that decided it wasn't content anymore.

can't ya find a396
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Well I have a bunch of 455s both of the Olds and Pontiac flavors, and a 454 that is sitting in my C10, but you want to talk pricey then lets talk about building a rat. Not cheap, much heavier, but they can make some decent power. Even though my $2700 455 ran within a tenth of a 454 with rectangle ports and a roller cam in similar weight cars. 11.7 v 11.6 and mine got 13 mpg where his got 8. So I'll stay away from the bbc except in trucks and news reports. Also the rat in my truck likes to burn plug wires, never had that problem with any of my Pontiacs and it pulls almost as good as the 400 from a 72 GP I had in it before.

Yes my truck had a Pontiac in it for a while.

Comment

A set of #48s were flowed years ago for a HPP story at an odd-ball 12 inches of water instead of the more normal 28":

1969 NO. 48 (1969 400 "Ram Air III" D-port)
                    Date cast: K308 Grade: 2 (worn guides)
                    Valve sizes: 2.11/1.77
                    Intake(D) Flow (cfm) Exhaust(S) Flow (cfm)
                    .100 67 75 38
                    .200 116 119 77
                    .300 148 152 103
                    .400 156 159 119
                    .500 160 161 128
                    .600 165 166 131

(Note there are two different intake numbers for each valve lift because all of the ports did not flow the same)
                    http://www.pontiacpower.org/ultimateflow.htm

Converting flow figures for a stock 904 Vortec head (http://www.kendrick-auto.com/vortec_cs_gm_head.htm) to 12" yields the following:
                    Intake Flow (cfm) Exhaust Flow (cfm)
                    .100 44.6 33.9
                    .200 89.1 69.3
                    .300 126.4 88.2
                    .400 145.9 94.5
                    .500 149.8 96.6
                    .550 147.8 97.7

Note: all of the pros will tell you that comparing numbers between different flow benches is fraught with potential error. And heads that flow well at lower pressures may have reduced flow from turbulence at higher pressures (e.g. the Vortecs might actually flow better than the above results if tested at 12" and the #48 might flow worse if tested at 28").

But at least on paper, it looks like the #48 are more than competitive with the Vortecs.

Also note: the conversion formula is "cfm*square root of (new pressure/old pressure)"

The Pontiac's cast rods are not a factor if RPM is kept at a reasonable level (<5,500)

Comment

I have built both in similar ways you are describing. I cant remember what I used for cams but I might still have the cam cards around here somewhere. It cost about half the price to build the chevy and when all said and done it was probably a half second faster in the quarter. Remember the used parts market is alot better for the chevy so that helps too.

Comment

point taken but cheap power can = happy gas.. and pontiac cast rods don't like it, nor.. any pinging.. dual flame fronts are known to bend them..
                        cheap also, for the back yard/junk yard build, not balanced(i'd never :D ;) ) but it's a fact.. so drop the rpm to 5000 if your gonna ring the most out of it alot..
                        now intakes.. the r/a IV is a nice piece for it's time, but cheap it's not..
                        a 389 trip is nice and all but again with the cheap ..
                        r/a III intakes are cheaper.. but alot of those.. found the dumpster 30 years ago.
                        I had a 80 formula that I dropped a 400 in.. 70 r/a IV heads and intake off a s/d 455
                        and a bluebrinted 10.25 to 1 those cast rods. don't let you rest as your running through the gears..
                        it go like hell till 6300rpm.. and that was living on the edge with those stock rods..

Comment

unless you can score some big flowing heads and some aftermarket rods - the chev will out rev you

and I had my share of pontiacs , even liked my 301

Comment

326's loved to rev.. they also holed the block..
                            did that a few times

Comment

As you are probably aware, with the vortec heads, you either have to limit the lift of the cam or pay a little extra to get the heads that come modified to handle a normal aftermarket lift.

... and for a street motor, you'll probably want to drill the steam holes into the heads. Use the head gasket as a template as to where to drill, and do some googling to determine the angle to hold the drill.

If the motor is built right and broken in properly, you can beat on it for years without losing much performance.

Comment

Working...
                              X