Choppin coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choppin coils

I had both an '85 Mustang and an '89 I don't remember how much I cut in total but I started at 1/2 coil in the front. I do remember that the first turn in the front spring will lower it less than the next turn. Seems 3/4 to a full coil sticks in my head but I don't remember for sure.
    The rear I never cut but thread lightly one turn may be 2-3" in the rear.

Best set up in the rear is a set of convertable springs (stiffer) or 4cyl if you want to be like a 93 Cobra ,but you may want the bigger cobra rear bar too.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main

if you got a 200 dollar lemons racer and just playing, hack away...else, it is a death wish.
      there is some serious integrity out there, just got to know where it is.

A death wish to cut coil springs? I have to disagree.

When I bought the Moroso trick springs for the front of my Chevelle, the directions said to cut the springs to obtain the desired ride height.

Now that the car has settled, the cross member is right at 3" from the ground. A bit too low for street practicality, but it's just inside the NHRA rules, and I love the stance. The shop I use was able to align the front end with no problems.

... of course, the instructions also say that those springs aren't safe for street use... but I haven't had any problems. Trick Springs front and rear, drag shocks in the front and 90/10 drag shocks in the rear. Ideal for street, no. Unsafe... eh. The lack of a sway bar is probably more unsafe than the spring/shock combo. I corner like an old lady anyway.

Comment

My chevelle has 79 Caprice wagon sprins in front.One coil shrter,that is.So i have tried it with original caprice springs,and with one coil shorter.What i got,was 11/8 lower front end,and a more sharper steering.It gets you that feeling"i wanna play in the turns" ;).

We tried it on a friends 73 442 some 15 years ago too.Took 2 coils on its original 442 springs...that got the 442 around 3 inches lower in the front.That was too much,cause it plowed everything afterwards.But it really felt more corner happy too.

What i really want to know.Some people will buy new springs,believing that it will give their ride more quality.I have tried that too.New original springs have never felt diffrent than the worn ones they replace.Isnt the main surpose to hold the car up from the road??.

Old springs will sag,but they will have the same function.To hold the car up from the road.

Comment

Working...
        X