Is it dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it dead?

Finally got one of the Buicks on the road today,after getting it going,I let it run for awhile,then I took it up on the Highway,got off,drove around some more when suddenly..*POP!*..the Car just died,it would'nt restart,even after spraying some Car-Cleaner down the Carb,getting a push-start,ect,I deduced a bad Fuel Pump,am I right? ~J/W.

Re: Is it dead?

If you're lucky-timing chain if you aren't.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing. I'd pop the distributor cap off, have someone crank it and see if the rotor spins.

Comment

Guess it's a 'Sleeper' now,huh? I'll try the Dizzy thing tommorow. Well,if it IS 'dead',I'll hafta buy another Car that RUNS ;D! ~J/W.

Comment

you need to pull the breather and look down the carb and hit the accelerator, see if the squirters squirt.
          if not check for fuel pressure

if they do pull a plug wire and check for spark, if no spark pull the cap and make sure the rotor turns.

Comment

If there is a breather or oil fill on the valve cover, pull it and see if the rocker arms are moving when cranking. Hope there isn't a baffle blocking your view. Could be a lean backfire, intermitent spark? Put a timing light on while crancking maybe. Sounds like a chain to me as well, If it hasn't broke but jumped several teeth could be hard to figure out. Is it easier for the starter to turn over or harder. Timing light will tell you if you have spark. Smell gas?

Comment

I did pump the Pedal,and I did smell Gas,and it turns,just as it did before,just fine. Although I've rarely driven the Car,I alway's 'kept it going' buy giving it a nice,short 'run' to keep things in check. ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                Guess it's a 'Sleeper' now,huh? I'll try the Dizzy thing tommorow. Well,if it IS 'dead',I'll hafta buy another Car that RUNS ;D! ~J/W.
                What, your "other" 66 cars don't run either? So, you have a junk yard or what? ;)
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin
                  Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                  What, your "other" 66 cars don't run either? So, you have a junk yard or what? ;)
                  :-X
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Most run,they're several that don't run,there's a couple without Engines,but,I want the Buick back up 'an running as this was one of the GS-455's Convertables my Brother gave me. ~J/W.

Comment

Send a pic and I bet we can figure it out.

Comment

I read the title and thought of Boondock Saints where Rocko accidentally shoots the cat and asks "Is it dead?"

Comment

Originally posted by FoFittyFoSS
                          Send a pic and I bet we can figure it out.
                          Now that's funny! ;D
                          I R Bob
                          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Almost done! I replaced the Chain,and it's Gear(Steel item replacing the 'Fiber Gear'...)along with the Fuel Pump. Everything's almost buttoned up except the Rad. The Twins helped. While the thing was apart,the Twins found some old Eastwood Black Radiator Black Hi-Temp Paint,after washing out the Rad,they went and painted it,they also took the time to clean the front of the Frame out,and gave it a 'quick' Prime-N-Paint with some Krylon stuff. Some folks dropped by. One was a neighbor who last week took delevery of His brand new,2010 Shelby-GT-500 "Super-Snake" Coupe. It's a sort of "warm Orange" in Colour,with matching Leather Interior. It's been "Autographed" by Carol Shelby on the Passenger-side Dash along with it's "Build Number"....in this Car's case,it's #60. Under the Hood,is the Kenne-Bell Supercharged V8(I'm sorry,I don't know what it is....really :-[ :-\...)cranking out 750-HP :o. It's got a Six-Speed 'Stick,3.73's in the rear. Beautiful brute,to say the least,and to think,this Guy already owns FOUR OTHER Shelby Mustangs,TWO of which He's bought THIS YEAR. His next Car is going to be a new "Panther Pink" '10 Challenger Coupe. Chrysler is due to Build roughly 400 Challengers in the Retro Pink,and this Guy WANTS one....like BAD. Besides the new Mustangs,He's also has 3 '08/'09 Challengers,including a Hurst version,and a Mr.Norm's version. Yes,the Guy's a bit loaded,but then again,the Guy and His Wife are Stockbrokers on Wall St :. Work hard,play hard I guess....Another Guy showed up,named Tom Danks,who's a bit of a GM 'A-Body Nut',He showed up in His own '71 GS-455 Primered Ragtop,it's a Car He and His Brother's put back together after buying it from a Guy who had 'Too many Cars',and had to 'sell some stuff'...sound familiar :? Anyway,He came to give some advice/pointers. Oh,and He's thinking about SELLING His Convertable,$7500 OBO ;). Hmmm. ~J/W.

Comment

Awesome! The Buick lives! I'd love to have a GS 455 convertible, and $7500 sounds like a deal, but I'm so out of room. I need to buy a hangar or a farm with a huge barn or something. How do you store 66 cars?

Comment

Working...
                              X