'68 GTO Quarter panel question/resto parts collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '68 GTO Quarter panel question/resto parts collection

An old friend of mine's wife is going to start helping me collect parts to start the restoration of his '68 GTO. Triple black 400/4sp with extra rust.

It's his high school car and it's been sitting for years, and she wants to surprise him with a stack of parts for his birthday....

Car needs quarters, wheel houses, rockers, fenders......

WHERE is the BEST place to buy these parts? anyone with body/resto experience? (I know, dumb question)

I don't know much about body work, but I want to help out and learn!!

Any advice is appreciated!
    Alex

Re: '68 GTO Quarter panel question/resto parts collection

Wow, noone has ever bought quarters?

I'm surprised.

Ax

Comment

I'd go buy a Hemmings Motor news from your local book store and start looking there and on Ebay.
      Pontiac stuff can be hard to find sometimes. I have a buddy who has a 69 and has oem quarters sitting in his living room. And they have been there for years. I guess he's just waiting for the right time to restore. :

Comment

I've never had a Pontiac, but these guys have a lot of sheet metal.

At least you can add up some prices for what's needed and ballpark it. The way the muscle car market seems to be headed, it might be cheaper to buy one that's already done.

Comment

Thanks guys, I've been looking around at stuff all over the place....

I just wanted to know if anyone had already been through this. Looking for quality metal and it looks like he just may want goodmark or year one.

He's stubborn.

Ax

Comment

Year One gets much of their stuff from Goodmark.

Goodmark has an installation center in NE Georgia. For a fee, they will put the quarters on for you.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing - I believe most of this stuff comes from the same source, no matter where you buy it.

I did a little searching around, and there were a lot of '68 GTO's for sale from $15 - $25K. If it's really rusty, it would probably be pretty easy to get upside-down restoring it. Is he going to do it all himself? Got any pictures?

Comment

I know he's attached...I've tried to buy the car before when he had fallen on hard times and he still wouldn't sell it. It sat for a few years.... Outside....with no cover....on his parents farm.

Now his wife is helping with the resto. She's great, I talked to her today and she said that she's buying the quarters and some other stuff for his birthday. When I was over there we turned the engine over, and got it cranking, but never got it running. I may have driven, but I would not have trusted the brakes.

It's not that rusty...it does need a lot of work, though. He's a mechanic and is doing a lot of the work himself. Triple black 400/4 speed. It's a really cool car. It has a 4 link with a 12 bolt and a 4:10 gear. Someone had cut the rear suspension up and made a drag car out of it....

I digress....I could ramble for a while. I just hope all good things for this car, I wish i owned it. (or my high school car.)

Ax

Comment

In the Pontiac world, the 2 most common parts suppliers are Ames Performance, and Performance Years. All they do is Pontiacs, and they do them well. Check out www.performanceyears.com They have a tech forum similar to this one that is all pontiac, all the time. Catalogs are available, as well as online ordering.

Comment

Working...
                  X