Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to go for a ride in a Toyota?

Re: Want to go for a ride in a Toyota?

old monte's and mustangs would do that when the drivers motor mount broke, remember? and on the mustang certain headers would lock the steering column too so you couldn't turn the wheel. ask me how I know.
    BUT I did know I had brakes, a key and a shifter. :

Comment

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by joe_rocket45
        old monte's and mustangs would do that when the drivers motor mount broke, remember? and on the mustang certain headers would lock the steering column too so you couldn't turn the wheel. ask me how I know.
        we tried the shifter thing in Kyle's lexus - no dice, it WILL NOT go out of Drive when you're cruising 60mph down the road. It stays in gear because it's just an electrical input to the computer (which sucks).

The key? same thing. It won't shut the car down (in his Lexus, it's a PUSHBUTTON switch). Reading the owners manual, there IS a "Emergency Power Off" function that requires you to push AND HOLD the ignition button for 5 seconds. I doubt many toyota/lexus owners know this.

And the brakes? already been shown that at WOT with any momentum, the brakes just cook right off.

that's what sucks about this whole situation. Everyone assumes "dude just turn off the engine or put it in neutral" but Toyota (and most other cars now, including a lot of GMs) don't have any way around the computer if it decides to freak out...

Marketed properly, there's a lot of potential sales for a remote power disconnect switch. Millions of toyotas could use them !
        www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by peewee

Dude that's funny...even my 16 year old laughed!
          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
            Originally posted by joe_rocket45
            we tried the shifter thing in Kyle's lexus - no dice, it WILL NOT go out of Drive when you're cruising 60mph down the road. It stays in gear because it's just an electrical input to the computer (which sucks).

The key? same thing. It won't shut the car down (in his Lexus, it's a PUSHBUTTON switch). Reading the owners manual, there IS a "Emergency Power Off" function that requires you to push AND HOLD the ignition button for 5 seconds. I doubt many toyota/lexus owners know this.

And the brakes? already been shown that at WOT with any momentum, the brakes just cook right off.

that's what sucks about this whole situation. Everyone assumes "dude just turn off the engine or put it in neutral" but Toyota (and most other cars now, including a lot of GMs) don't have any way around the computer if it decides to freak out...

Marketed properly, there's a lot of potential sales for a remote power disconnect switch. Millions of toyotas could use them !
            They definitely need a "kill the throttle" over-ride switch on the dash. Five seconds is waaaay to long to be under full throttle in any kind of traffic.

Hmmm.... 'geek, wanna get rich? With the right marketing...
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I know GM still uses shift cables

we have a recall on them

Comment

5 seconds at 60 mph is 435 feet, add 1.7 seconds for reaction time is 582 feet then you get to brake..... and presuming the brakes aren't overheated you have at least 110 feet to stop so in the best world you can stop in 692 feet 1/8th of a mile.... that's from 60mph - at full throttle? double everything.... nope, the lights were not on in the engineering department at Toyota when they came up with that idea....
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Comment

several of us at work have tried some of these with mixed results, my '03 Sierra I can kill the ignition on, but a buddies Pontiac he cannot. If you can't put it into neutral, then how about gearing down?
                    "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

what kind pontiac ? a vibe ? hee hee

Comment

Working...
                      X