Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grooming a cat-Hazardous to your health. (testimonial)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooming a cat-Hazardous to your health. (testimonial)

This is NOT a forwarded E-mail like I'm sure you've seen hundreds of times. This is a review of the events of Saturday, 6 March 2010.

Meet "Diesel". Diesel is a 33-lb. Giant American Shorthair. Do not let the picture fool you...this cat is NOT fat, he is proportional...appx. 2'7 length (minus tail) by 9" wide. He is neutered and declawed, per Pierce Co., WA Animal Shelter guidelines. He's been living in my house since October 2008.

As I'm packing up my house in preparation to move to a short-term location, I noticed cat hair everywhere, in large clumps. I usually brush Diesel out once a weekend, and for the most part he tolerates it well. But with spring-like weather here in Western Washington, I figured that his winter coat is coming out and decided to have him professionally groomed. After MUCH searching (seems like nobody grooms cats..) I found a licensed vet with a private grooming practice who was willing to do the task.

I got Diesel into his harness (one that is meant for a large Pomeranian, might I add..) and got him into the Monte Carlo. After a quick stop by a cafe I frequent I go to this guy's house. Diesel has learned to equate car rides with vet visits, and sure enough, he was wedged up under the passenger side dash in fear of getting his temperature taken...

[img]http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0S020zwfJRLbW0A4VijzbkF/SIG=13ejm6tql/EXP=1268108912/**http%3a//icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/funny-pictures-cat-sits-on-scale.jpg[/img]

The vet is very surprised at Diesel's size and trys to take him from my arms. His legs buckle, I decide that I will carry the furball from this point forward.

First, we take him to a table to brush him out. Diesel usually is just fine with this...not this time. He tolerates the center of his back just fine, but when the vet decides to brush out the small mats of fur in Diesel's rear legs, Diesel decides to whip around and snap at the vet. I've never seen the cat do this before...flattened out, ears back, hissing and yowling, Diesel has now decided that everything and everyone is an open threat (read: TARGET) and will be dealt with harshly. OK...time for plan B.

"Plan B" involves picking up Satan-Cat and hauling him over to a professional animal bath setup and tethering his harness to a 5" lead hooked to the tub. We make sure the water is warm, then slowly start feeding water to the shower nozzle in the tub.

Diesel. HATES. water.

As soon as he realizes what is up he goes full-on psychotic. FIVE PEOPLE are holding down this cat while the vet is *trying* to shampoo and rinse this cat. I have taken the snake-handler route and have the cat's head pinned like the shrieking furball has venom. During the commotion, he slips the entire harness (WTF?!) and starts doing the One Lap of the Household. On his second trip around this guy's front room the cat goes from floor to the back of a couch, and mid-jump from couch to chair drills the vet's 16-y/o daughter directly in the chest as she comes out from a hallway. One teenager down, four confused adults to go...the vet's brother finally pins Diesel on a loveseat and we re-secure the harness (myself being bitten, presumably for my insubordination to Kittah's demands) and finish rinsing the cat, who by now, has toned it down as he plots for his ultimate revenge.

Once rinsed, Diesel is transported to a "cat-drying contraption". Let me describe this: A large rabbit cage with a carpeted floor, that has tubes hooked into the side. The tubes run to what looks like floor-drying equipment. Cat in cage, dryers set to "well-done". I am told that he will be dry in about forty-five minutes, so I head back to the cafe hoping my favorite barista has a first-aid kit behind that counter...

I return a little later to see that the cat's fur has poofed. He now looks like a large, bright-orange Tribble, and his expression reminds me of Hannibal Lecter. The vet shuts off the dryers and I remove the cat from the cage. Money exchanges hands and Diesel is put back into the Super Sport for the ride home. As I drive home I have the sunroof open and both windows cracked for airflow...I'm sure I-5 traffic adored me, because any and all loose fur on the cat was flying out of the sunroof into traffic. Sorry...

Diesel hasn't retaliated yet for this, but I think that next time, I'll save the money I paid this guy. I'll get shampoo from PetSmart and have a friend videotape the procedure...I'm sure it'll make for good laughs.

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Re: Grooming a cat-Hazardous to your health. (testimonial)

LMAO! Thanks for sharing, haha.

(Did you know this thread can be pasted right in to Facebook and the Cat's picture comes up in the link? haha)
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

that is one big cat..... perhaps sleeping with at least one eye open might be a good idea for a few days?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

HA!!! That was a great story, made me laugh and think of the time I brought home a beautiful long haired Grey cat, with yellow eyes...the wife..in her infinite wisdom..decided it was a good idea to clean her up...and decided a vacuum was the way to do it...I still get a chuck thinking of it and that was 15 years ago...
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

A vacumn? Yeesh...I bet that worked out reeeal well... :

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z
            A vacumn? Yeesh...I bet that worked out reeeal well... :

Yeah, worked out awesome...for me...I about pissed myself laughing. She still gets a hard time about it...
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick

(Did you know this thread can be pasted right in to Facebook and the Cat's picture comes up in the link? haha)
              I put it up myself off of my FB, but it refused to link to a picture...can't wait to see responses to this.

Comment

oh...my...god...f'n about did piss myself laughing so hard.
                Thank you, and this is why I don't own any cats.

My Husky / German shepherd mix puts up a bit of a fight at first when dragging his butt into the shower...but then just gives up and sort of whines in irritation.

Nothing like THAT though :o ;D
                Andrew
                1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Comment

Comment

You've got me beat, but I have to share....

MY new cat (says the wife, apparently its MINE now) is about 8 months old now. In cat years I figure that to be about 13, or early teenager. Old enough to be entertaining still, but not sulky yet.

Well she has developed an affinity for flies. (the cat, not the wife...) They are great sport, take lots of energy to catch, taste great apparently, and it gets rid of the flies. Cool deal, right?

Until she starts hunting them at night. On the headboard of the bed.

And knocks one of them out of the air straight into wifes mouth.......

Wake up to hear wife spitting on the pillow, wonder what's up, hear swearing, then cat jumps on her head and on to pillow, eats fly, gets thrown off bed, more swearing/spitting.

At this point I am very quiet, but I cannot control the shaking from keeping the laughter inside. :D

Couch was comfortable, so its all good.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

The cat problem I have is on the other end of the water spectrum. Dinkleman, our Himalayan, absolutely LOVES water. If you don't make sure the bathroom door is completely latched, he will hop into the shower or bath with you in about two seconds. Nothing like washing your hair and looking down to see a cat sitting there soaking wet and loving it. One night my daughter left the sink water running so that it would warm up and came back to find Dink with his head under the faucet. I swear the breeders must have gotten the momma cat high or something....

Comment

I like to groom a cat with a cleaver

Comment

JIM :o > ;D!! Anyway,Remy'z Cat's HUGE. I haven't seen one that big in a long time. Great story,'Rem'. ~J/W.

Comment

yuk yuk

Comment

Working...
                              X