Networking for Jobs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Networking for Jobs.

Surprisingly, the most thorough interview I've ever been through - was at ATI Procharger in Kansas City!

Even more thorough than IBM and ACOG (the '96 Olympics). First couple hours they put you through a personality test with the HR staff. They never share the results of the test with you - but it had some strange and interesting questions.

Then they have individual interviews with key positions in engineering and management. They were VERY well prepared, there was not much informal anything there. They run a tight ship and it really shows.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Interesting, Brian. My oldest son works for 3M in St. Paul. They moved there from Chicago where he had a much "better" job with a different company - more money, in charge of a team, etc. But they (my son and daughter-in-law) had just had a daughter and they decided that it was important for him to be home after work to be with his now two little girls as they grew up. 3M has been a great employer and has done exactly what they promised to do. The stopper for me would be that you had to live in St. Paul. It's a great town but the weather is a show-stopper.

Dan

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
      The craziest job interview I had was with 3M. After college I knew a guy who knew a guy that was their automotive sales rep in the northern New England region who was being promoted. I had a local interview that went well, then I went out in the field with the guy for a couple days, and that went good too. 3M flew me to world HQ in Minnesota. There were six guys in my group and none of us knew if we were competing with each other or for different jobs or what.

They did 4 or 5 back to back interviews with different people asking very close to the same questions. It was a sales job so they wanted to see how you could adapt and think on your feet.

I got offered the job but at the time I did not want to move to Minnesota for a month for the training and the other catch was that at the end of the month they told you what job you got. There was no guarantee that I'd be the New England guy. I wasn't looking for a move at that point so I passed on the job.

It was a cool experience though.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
        Originally posted by IRONHEAD
        Originally posted by jcharliem
        sorry, man your resume, is missing the biggest, important.. item... to get a entry level management job..

"I don't mind being shit on, and I only know how to say yes"
        otherwise in retail .. forget it..
        they don't want ideas from the lowers.. they just want to hear, their idea is great, and you do that by agree'n with anything they say.. with YES..
        I never could be a yes man robot..
        but good luck
        Wow. Now that's some great advice. Sheesh. ???
        it is..
        24 years in retail.. if your not willing to be a yes man,(at most companies,starting out,, not all)
        your not gonna get far..
        upper management don't like to be told they are wrong or there IS a better way..
        I've found they can be VERY cocky. in this manner
        did you ever consider that it's your attitude about management that keeps you out of it?
        thats fine I make more than them ;D ;D

Comment

All I can say is if you want to make the big bucks, work for yourself, as you'll never do it working for someone else. Thus the reason I've worked for myself for the last 20 years. No boss telling me what to do, I make my own hours, do the jobs that I want to do, there are lots of perks working for yourself. Plus it gives me a lot of time to be with my kids, which I feel is one of the most important things a person could do.

Comment

sorry, man your resume, is missing the biggest, important.. item... to get a entry level management job..

"I don't mind being shit on, and I only know how to say yes"
            otherwise in retail .. forget it..
            they don't want ideas from the lowers.. they just want to hear, their idea is great, and you do that by agree'n with anything they say.. with YES..
            I never could be a yes man robot..
            but good luck
            That is a tough answer, and only the beginning of truth. I know of several with the ultimate schooling route first,espeically business (where do these crazy ideas come from- 5 years school == miracle? WTF were they thinking?)no experience, and they went right back into a military tour risking life and limb before nothing ever just unfolds respecting a degree. Hide the formal stuff, it is time for real world, it could take decades to catch up without neppitism or other crimes launching experience falsefully...and that gets caught up to as well.

:

on the other hand, politics could over rule the wait. ie: a woman in the military, before 30 climbs to master sargent sitting at a desk.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Funny thing is yes I'm working on my degree, at the same time going to college full time, working full time, and family all the time. those that know and have met me here know that i live the life and that working over sixteen yeas as a blue collar work are my experiences. So it is not like i have not paid my dues along the way. I paid my taxes putting myself through school paying out of pocket, and putting your children in school albeit the system sucks. but like i said i paid my dues, and prefer not to just settle for less. those that don't have the initiative is perfectly allright by me, we need people at all levels, I just don,t feel like being there anymore. have
              HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Good luck to you man - that's a hard row to sow but you're almost there now!!
                Hope to see you on PT next year.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                  Surprisingly, the most thorough interview I've ever been through - was at ATI Procharger in Kansas City!

Even more thorough than IBM and ACOG (the '96 Olympics). First couple hours they put you through a personality test with the HR staff. They never share the results of the test with you - but it had some strange and interesting questions.

Then they have individual interviews with key positions in engineering and management. They were VERY well prepared, there was not much informal anything there. They run a tight ship and it really shows.

my dad worked for IBM for 36 years

Comment

My job interview:
                    Me: "Hey Clyde, are you hiring? I'm looking."
                    Clyde: "Yeah, when can you start?"

My wife's current job:
                    Me: "Hey Vince, you're driving yourself crazy without a secretary. Why don't you take one on and save yourself the headaches?"
                    Vince: "You're right. Send her over."

Background: Clyde remembers the day I was born. He is like an uncle to me. Vince is my cousin.

I can't imagine the circus of working for a huge national company where you don't know anyone from outside of work, and any complaint is in the form of a... form. If I have a problem, I see the owner of the company. And he sees me. The biggest company I ever worked for was around 400 people; that is a situation I would like to avoid forever.
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I keep thinking I need to get my resume updated, partly because of economics and mostly for negotiating leverage with current management. Fortunately mining is a fairly small community, and saying Robinson District (2005-present) on the resume is practically gold (or copper :P). That and my boss has been good at well rounding my practical education. Various types of mapping, Ore Control, Database Management, 3D Modelling (geology, structure, alteration, grades, etc), practical statistics, running a drill program and water management. There's more, but it all has to be updated to my resume that was last done right before I got this job. (i.e. Washed cars, Sold Autoparts :P)
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                      X