Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just ran my first slalom course...

and I learned two things:
    1. those cones hurt. my paint guy is gonna be pissed at how many dents are in the sides of my '73's bed.
    2. Oh my god that was fun!

Re: just ran my first slalom course...

I just made it look like a 70's car chase ;D

Oh yeah, Tire Smoke off the front tires rule! ;D
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

You autocrossed your pickup truck? Tell us more!

Comment

where did you guys do it...video?
        Reading , Pa
        Good Guys rodders rep.
        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

It was out at the old El Toro air field off the 5 freeway.

I only have crappy cell phone pics but someone managed to burn me a dvd with about 30 gigs of onboard video taken from a couple of those Go Pro cameras that were stuck to the side of my truck.

the bad news is i have no way to edit it down to a size small enough to post.

I had so much fun. Never autocrossed my truck before. I got faster as the day went on. My day ended when I got greedy and tried to not clip the last cone going as fast as possible. Ended up looping the truck out and doing a four wheel powerslide off the strip into a field. Folded the tires over hard enough to fill the rims with rocks and grass. Had to dismount the tires to get the rocks out.

Here are the aforementioned crappy cell phone pics:
          before....

and in the dirt.....

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Del Taco :D

That truck is killer!

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

had a chevy truck the same color (or damn near) Are those mini lights? bad ass!
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Sweet looking ride!
                Reading , Pa
                Good Guys rodders rep.
                "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

thanks guys. those are a copy of the old minilite wheels. Vintage Wheelworks makes them in a few different sizes. I went with 17s.

photbucket sucks..it's making my pics real small.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                    mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Del Taco :D

That truck is killer!

Brian
                    most days i exist solely on the macho combo burrito. lol

Comment

It's BLOWN....MORE...we need more man...details, build pics...mini lites and a f-ing blower on a short box chebbie...almost as bad as as a MOPAR!
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                        It's BLOWN....MORE...we need more man...details, build pics...mini lites and a f-ing blower on a short box chebbie...almost as bad as as a MOPAR!
                        Seconded! Details man, details!
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Once you autocross, you're addicted like crack. I can't wait for the Goodguys show in May.

The truck looks great. You can resize the photos with photo image programs like Irfanview, which has a free version that is free.

Originally posted by stmike

Here I used Irfanview to increase the size, sharpen and lighten the photo. Cell phones don't have sharp enough pics to go much farther than this without distortion.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Details? Well it's a '73 Chevy C10 with an '84 front clip. I searched for almost a year for a pre-'75 shortbed that I wouldn't have to have smog-inspected in California. i bought it about a year ago and it needed everything.

first thing i did was ditch the small block and three speed trans for a 4L65E and carbureted 5.3L LS1.

Then i dropped it 4/6 using Bell Tech suspension parts and sway bars.

And it needed brakes bad so I stuffed Baers on it. They barely fit inside of the 17s up front.

The saddle tanks leaked, had stranded me more than once thanks to clogged pickups and were a pain to fill up because I shaved the gas fillers in the bedsides so I installed a fuel cell.

I drove the truck last summer cross country and back. I've been wanting to learn about fuel injection so when I made the switch to a fuel cell I swapped the blower and fuel system at the same time.

it's pretty much done at this point except that it needs gears and a limited slip diff bad. At 70 mph with 3.07s the engine is barely turning 1600 rpm when the converter is locked up. it doesn lug but the acceleration could be better.

Comment

Very nice! Take a camera with you next time and let us know how it goes. For some reason autocrossing in a fullsize pickup is really giving me a chuckle. ;D
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X