Welding engine parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding engine parts

While I know there is a whole industry about repairing cracked blocks and heads and such but that's not what I'm talking about.

Reading over the twin SB2 headed 292 I6 and remembering an eBay auction for a V12 aluminum "Buick" engine (2 215's welded together) makes me wonder about doing something simular with a block and heads. Obviously aluminum is easier to work on so what kind of specialty setup would it take to weld say 2 parts of a Northstar together to make a V12?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Welding engine parts

Would you weld them together for the appearance of a V12? I'd think a coupler, like a Lovejoy, between the engines would be better.

Comment

V12's should have a 60 or 120 degree bank, not the 90 degree bank you get from working with 2 V8's.
      V16's can be 90 degree.

If I were going to fab a DOHC V12, I'd start with 2 Atlas I-6's. Slice the sides of the block off at the correct angle to weld two of them into a 60 degree V12. That just leave the issue of both heads exhausting to the passenger side of the vehicle.

Comment

out of idle curiosity, why weld them together? why not bolts?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

al mathon welded up the mathon v16 -double sbc . like a gmc twin six

the grump and larry kopp dominated the first year of pro stock truck with welded up V6 chevy splayed valve heads on an sbc , added a chamber

Comment

USE a Greek coupler to join the two motors : Jerry

Comment

Working...
            X