New use for a Pro Charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New use for a Pro Charger?

Those crazy europeans are at it again, they are trying out a Pro Charger on an Allison V-12,

it is still in the design phase from what i understand, here is what he wrote on another forum about it versus a roots type blower,

"You mean roots type blowers?
    They are supposed to be!
    According to the guys running with the Pro Chargers there is about 300 hp advantage over a blower on a V8 engine.
    Our EFI guys had one on a 526 cui Arias Century with AJ heads which delivered 2800 hp at 8500 rpm. I have no idea wether this number is true, but I saw their fuel maps and they for sure put A LOT more fuel into that V8 than we can put into our Allisons at the same A/F ratio right now. So we hope to gain some air!

The other disadvantage of a roots type blower is the pretty small air exit on the modern roots blowers. When put on a large V12 as ours it's quite a task to feed more than 8 cylinders at all.

The biggest disadvantage of a roots type blower being in the same range of performance of the Pro Charger is the price. A Pro Charger will sell for + - 5000 US $, a state of the art Kobelco will probably go for more than 10k.

What would be an advantage of a roots type blower is the low end tourque. The centrifugal chargers need some rpms to move air and build boost.

This characteristic requires a way more complex fuel system (the same is true for turbos) for a centrifugal charger (which is why blow-through carburators are so populat with these chargers).
    While a roots type blower more or less delivers the same amount of air per engine revolution (and you can simply feed an fixed amount of fuel per revolution through a positive deplacement gear pump to the engine) the Pro Charger needs a fuel system which is sensitive to boost, adding a third factor - which is like going from a two dimensional graph to 3D.

We have the fully programmable EFIs on our engines so we can program towards perfection in (hopefully) a short period of time.

This all is just a test set up, bolted onto / adapted to the original accessory housing, to collect data and see where this all leads to."

here is a video that i hope works

Hot Damn i love that sound

Re: New use for a Pro Charger?

what the hell is that :O I thought the F4R looked huge

Comment

Is that real or Photoshopped? Can't be too many chargers the size of a V8 engine block out there. (Or maybe it was something originally built for locomotives?)

Comment

Uhhh - that is WAYYYYY too much money

Comment

why don't they go real engine, and stop this blower fantasy. :
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It is definately real, here is another link for ya.

Comment

I'm speechless..... :

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
              1966 Plymouth Fury III
              2014 Dodge Ram 1500
              Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
              Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                Is that real or Photoshopped? Can't be too many chargers the size of a V8 engine block out there. (Or maybe it was something originally built for locomotives?)
                What size turbo do you recommend for 1,710.6 ci?

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main
                  why don't they go real engine, and stop this blower fantasy. :
                  1. It is a real engine, an Allison v-12

2. Blower fantasy? WTF are you talking about? There are no fantasies about blowers they work. (besides this is a ####ING PROCHARGER, completely different than a blower FFS)

3. Please, please, please give google translator your code so we can understand the shit you type.

Comment

I spy a pulling tractor in the background..... big pressurized intakes are SOP for these guys.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
                      I spy a pulling tractor in the background..... big pressurized intakes are SOP for these guys.
                      If you watch the youtube link i provided you will see the tractor in question.... before the procharger

Comment

Gotcha..... but firewall blocks some links at work. ;)
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
                          Gotcha..... but firewall blocks some links at work. ;)
                          Ugh, i have the same problems at work................

Comment

Working...
                          X