what do you guys do when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you guys do when...

What do you guys do when you just lose interest in your project? I don't know, maybe I am looking for a pep talk maybe I really want to sell it maybe I am in a rut but I have totally lost interest in the car....sick of looking at it sick or working on something I know is'nt worth the time...but I still love the car...you know....how do you reignite the fires so to speak...how do you motivate yourself to get working on the car again.....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: what do you guys do when...

Let it sit for a while.
    Do some other things.

After a break, take some time to really think out the next steps on it and get everything lined up in advance so you can knock it out quickly with good results so you get satisfaction from both your skill at making the changes and pride in the new stuff that increase the cars value (in your mind if not actual).

Comment

I occassionally have that happen. One of three things happen.

1) I drive the car, as much as possible. Not much motivates me more to fix little things like driving it. Just the little things until I'm amped up enough to do something big. A big reason I try and keep my cars road worthy as much as possible.

2) I move onto a different car. Again simple stuff, even if it's just wash the other car and drive it. New project renewed patience. Another justifiable reason to have more than one old car A change is nice.

3) I stop working on cars altogether and sit on my ass playing videogames, still driving the car but not doing anything to it until motivated to. I had a couple month run between getting the Skylark running, then EFI'ing it, then until just recently the motivation to put the traction bars on.

Non-drivable cars bug the heck out of me though. I know I can drive any of my cars right now (if I dug all the snow out of the backyard...but at least they start up).
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've even considered at times to just spend the $200-$600 at Maaco to put some paint on the car and just write it off as motivational money even though I know under the shine the body work still needs to be done. But that buys me time (one-five years) to do other things on the car rather than worry about the bodywork/paint. Interior, etc. A shiny car will always put a smile on my face.

Comment

The car is drivable but the issue is the windows...I can not get the windows to roll up and down because the mf-ing parts just aren't out there...I have purchased many used pieces off ebay but they end up craqcking or exploding....I have the scoop in....and a layer of glass down.....needs touched up and fillet applied and blocked...the day after I did it the weatjer went south and I just have not had the motivation to touch it....that's been since the start of November.....what really did it for me tho is when I was driving it for about a month and a half...every day everywhere...the headliner tore and then shredded.....that just pissed me off to no end and now I just don't care..its ugly inside and out now...

I could be persuaded if I could find the damn parts I need for the windows....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Yeah window's are a tough deal. You'll notice interior pictures of my car lack a head liner. First it shreaded, then I used tacks (that corkscrew) to pin up some vynle on the roof, and eventually the boarding behind shreaded, so out it went and it's raw metal now. My Firebird came with a shreaded headliner, so out it went. I bought one, but didn't get the chance to install it.

66 Fury 2-dr right? Anything else special about the window regulators?

Comment

Yup sport fury, 66

Nothing special..just unique round plastic rollers that are made of unobtanium
              I can adjust them and such, that's pretty easy, but the rear windows are AFU cuz all the damn rollers.guides are broke....and you can't tear them apart and make a good one out of 2....and finding a parts car is like finding gold...

Comment

Joe, the best thing for you to do is just give it away to someone for free...........like me! ;D I know where you're coming from, that was the reason why I got rid of the '62 Buick. It was a cool car and I enjoyed it, but parts were nowhere to found and anything else was 3x what they would be for a more popular car, so that's why I sold it. Moved onto something else that had parts available at a reasonable price and never looked back. If you can get out of it for close to what you had in it, I would go ahead and send it to a new owner.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
                  Yup sport fury, 66

Nothing special..just unique round plastic rollers that are made of unobtanium
                  I can adjust them and such, that's pretty easy, but the rear windows are AFU cuz all the damn rollers.guides are broke....and you can't tear them apart and make a good one out of 2....and finding a parts car is like finding gold...
                  Ah yes, them damnned rollers. My Centurion has the same issues and part availability :-\

Comment

I work in phases too - but many times, it's knowing when to just stop and relax... there's no schedule I have to keep with my car, so (like the headers) I work on the part I've thought through - then go watch tv for a bit or upload pictures to help motivate others (Thumper's 65 GTO does the same for me).....

As for the wheels - there are a variety of places where you can buy just the wheel, or do what all hotrodders do - adapt something else to work - such as you could probably use the window mechanisms they use in street rods (single rail) for your car.... it's inside the door so who's going to see it?
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's your quarter windows right? They don't roll up? Have you thought about taking the assembly apart and solid mounting the quarter window in until you can find the parts? Just think of it as cutting weight.
                      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

I know how you feel. Although, I've never lost interest in the Impala; I go through phases of not caring about the Caprice. The body style was never my favorite. My whole intention in buying it was to take all the good parts and part out the rest. I can't complain, it's been totally reliable since I bought it and has made a great second car even though I generally just ignore it. That's going to change when I start rebuilding the suspension and I pull the motor.

My remedies are:

I drive the car.
                        I go to shows. Randal and I will be in Pheonix at the end of the month. Come and see us. You got my number.
                        I help friends with their cars.

As for your window issue. Those tiny plastic wheels just suck. I replaced them on both windows in the Impala. I can't understand why they would be different from any other Mopar of that vintage. If they are available for other models, maybe they'll fit your car.
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I agree with what everyone else has said. Drive it, and drive it a lot. If after a few weeks you still have no desire, maybe it is time to move on to something else. You have the truck, and if you're like me, you totally dig off roading so maybe turn your attention and that part of the budget to that for a while.

As far as the regulator parts, do some research, in this day and age of all the reproduction stuff, I would have to say that something is out there to make them work. I like Buickguy's thought on using an aftermarket assembly...heck maybe a power window conversion complete with picks and how to is in order.
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

sorry joe...
                            good luck... if this car was not one you loved but was in your price range.. that might be the issue..
                            like everyone else said DRIVE IT...
                            find away to fix the windows... have rollers machined out of alum.. or make house sliding door rollers work..
                            you might just not want to deal with the old car oddness.. as we all been spoiled by new cars..
                            nothing gets you motivated more than driving it...but.. also when an issue pops up. not just getting out of it and slam'n the door. and the next day. starting up the truck... and driving that..
                            that idn't fix the issue driving you crazy in the old car.. it only got you away from it...
                            drive the fury.. and act like it's your ONLY CAR.. and all the little things that drive you crazy.. will get fixed instead of ,just, put off...
                            good luck...

Comment

Drie it
                              yep
                              like the guys said drive it
                              work on it till you get pissed off then walk aaway do something else then go back when not pissed
                              my pick up has been 7 years I let it sit for about 3 maybe 4 with out touching it no after working on other stuff etc... I miss driving it and need to get it done I want to drive it

the street rod power windows might be the way to go and they are simple
                              and do not feel bd about hard to find parts my coupe being a chevy I have to mke almost everything lol
                              and just wait till I start rolling on the 39 plymouth

Comment

Working...
                              X