Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what do you guys do when...

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
    The car is drivable but the issue is the windows...I can not get the windows to roll up and down because the mf-ing parts just aren't out there...I have purchased many used pieces off ebay but they end up craqcking or exploding....I have the scoop in....and a layer of glass down.....needs touched up and fillet applied and blocked...the day after I did it the weatjer went south and I just have not had the motivation to touch it....that's been since the start of November.....what really did it for me tho is when I was driving it for about a month and a half...every day everywhere...the headliner tore and then shredded.....that just pissed me off to no end and now I just don't care..its ugly inside and out now...

I could be persuaded if I could find the damn parts I need for the windows....
    the glass weight does not kill the window parts. it is resonance of whatever is surrounding them. This a big ol mopar with no extra steel engineering?

a slow analyze on a lift and remembering all the characteristics as an owner of every quirky little thing...can feed the thought of what needs what.

that brings a value never to get sick of, and a day to cry when it is damaged.

I speak from my locales tortured point of view, that nothing is complete with manufacture, then "they" run and hide and pretend stuff is extinct to get out of it.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

joe..
      pm me the year, make,model and what parts you need... and for what windows..
      a glass co. up here might have it..
      on another note...
      you work on airplanes for the A/F can't be that hard to get a guy to, on his own time to make the rollers out of alum.
      and pay him in beer

Comment

I have to leave 'em from time to time and come back when I have the enthusiasm. My situation is complicated by a heart that can't keep up with my body so sometimes I have to wait and recuperate, even if I am motivated. I've had to learn that I just do what I can, when I can.

On the window bits - find a machinist and work with him. Trade work or whatever and get him to turn you some replacements. They'll be better than original and should be a permanent solution. Besides, most machinists I've known kind of like to show off that they can make ANYTHING - and they can.

Dan

Comment

Joe, I've been there SO many times I can't even count. A month ago I pretty much had the tan Mercury sold to a guy from Wisconsin before he changed his mind, I was strangely relieved which probably means that I didn't want to sell it in the first place. Yesterday I fired up the blue Merc for the first time in a month. Sometimes I feel like a total failure when I realize how long I've had these cars and they're not even close to being done. Bottom line is that it doesen't cost much to keep them and god willin' I've got 40 good years left on this planet, so I try not to be too hard on myself.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I stay motivated a number of ways. I too will change projects. I have multiple vehicles, plus the alcohol fuel project, a biomass water heater, computers, the house, and of course some guns. I have to make time for all of them, and weather plays a big part of it for me. Days where I can get outside I will work on the outside projects with the highest importance. Days where I cant I spend it inside on the house, or on the computer.

I set goals and deadlines too. Like the May 5th deadline for the GTO. Or the goal of getting some quarter panels hung by a certain date. Doing engines and transmissions is more of a when I have all the parts together and the machine work done, it is done in a day or two. Body work is something I dont really enjoy as much as building a rowdy engine or setting up a transmission to cause tectonic plate shifts when it changes gears. So I need motivation to do the body work and setting goals and dead lines give me the motivation.

One big thing I do to motivate myself is using the background of my desktop. I dont put nekkid women on there, I will put pics of the cars I feel need the attention right now up instead. I'll change the picture when I stop noticing it. During the winter I will often put up summer pics showing the green stuff and sunny warm days. It helps with the whiteness of winter here and the bleak look of the trees.

Another thing I will do is sit and look at the car. If I dont feel like doing anything I will go out there, look at it, and bench race in my head. What if I did this, what if I did that. Even if I dont actually do anything to the car I am still getting things done, because that is where my planning comes from. Dreams and ideas go a long way to motivating me to work on stuff.

Been there done that with the windows and screwy little plastic rollers that are so brittle if you dropped it you would have 14 pieces. The 67 Cougar quarter windows didnt work good 25 years ago, they wont work good now either. So I just locked them in the up position with some all thread and jam nuts. You can get creative if you want them to still work, the street rod industry has all sorts of custom curved and flat glass electric lift kits. You can make one of them work if nothing else. Change out the plastic rollers and use something a bit more robust or modern on them, and install the lifts so you dont have the crank creating a drag on the ancient parts. Two guide rails, a lift and some new rollers bolted up and you have power windows. Or just lock them in the up position.

Headliners are a pain, but they arent difficult to do. Old Fords are annoying as hell because the windshield and rear glass hold the headliner in. Still it isnt difficult to change the seal and remove the glass to do them. You can also do a custom headliner like the late mode cars have with insulation foam, 3M headliner adhesive, and headliner fabric. Its stupid easy to do once you get the contours of the roof transferred to the foam. I will probably do one of those for the GTO and most likely the Mustang too. Yes I will take pics and how how to do it.

Its easy stuff man, its not like you have to get it exactly right the first time you do it to impress the councours judges. Just go freakin fix the stuff.

Comment

thanks for the pep talks guys...I will probably revisit this once more once my back is better and I can bend over and stoop and shit...but right now I cant even do that...not for 6 more weeks...

It is reassuring to me that others feel the same way from time to time...and it certainly helps my state of mind..sometimes you see all the progress others are maknig on thier cars and it makes me question if I should even bother...

It doesnt cost much to keep it and she is dead nuts reliable mechanicaly so...maybe once the weather warms up a little more I will start driving it to work...maybe that will move me to start messing wiht it more...
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

weather warms up..
                are u o.k.
                is there snow on the ground? no
                drive it..

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                  weather warms up..
                  are u o.k.
                  is there snow on the ground? no
                  drive it..
                  LOL, its in the 30's in the mornings and there are no windows...I have a high tolerance for pain...but not the cold...
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

It's got a heater. You got a jacket and mittons? lol.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                      It's got a heater. You got a jacket and mittons? lol.
                      The heater much like everything else doesnt work...The only heat I get is from the headers....they do warm up the floor pretty good...

Comment

I take a break from it. I also enjoy woodworking, so when my motivation level on the car is low or nonexistant I do some woodworking.

Comment

Working...
                        X