Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of buying a 99 F150 XLT....comments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a 99 F150 XLT....comments?

Well, with the demise of our Windstar, we need to get a replacement vehicle. Since we will be closing next month on our property in PA, we will need something to haul stuff. We're really, really tight on money at this point and buying anything was not in the budget. We were looking at a 04 Freestar at a local dealer. It has 106,000 miles but was very well taken care of. Clean Carfax and looks like it has 20,000 miles. The interior is in excellent shape, no wear spots, stains or y anything. The body was in great shape as well with only one small dent on the bottom of the pass sliding door and rocker panel. Their asking $6900 which is slightly above what it should be going for. I was going to offer $6K.

So my wife and I were talking about everything and she commented that we'd probably need something to plow our driveway with in PA, such as a quad. I told he for the price of a quad we could get a used 4X4 PU with a plow. That got me thinking. Why not buy an extended 4X4 PU instead of the Freestar? While we were out doing some errands I sugested we stop at the Ford dealer that was close by. They have a 99 extended cab F150 XLT 4X4 with a 5.4. This truck also has 106,000 miles and looks like it has maybe 30,000. It belonged to the sales manager's friend. Clean Carfax, 1 owner was always serviced at the dealer. It as a A.R.E. fiberglass cap painted to match the truck, silver. This truck was somebody's prized toy. The paint on the floor of the truck was shiny, no scratches or dents! The whole truck was very nice and clean and a non smoker truck too. We took it out for a test drive. Drove very nice, lots of power, stopped great, no squeaks or rattles. My wife fell in love with it as well. I know gas mileage is going to suck but I'm not buying it for fuel economy. We realized that we can haul and tow a lot of stuff. My wife would like to get a horse if we move to PA full time. We would be able to tow a horse trailer...something that couldn't be done with the Freestar or plow for that matter. But the down side is the Freestar would have a lot more interior room and seating along with comfort on the highway.

The dealer was asking me if I had anything to trade : I told them about my POS Windstar with 150,000 and engine problems and that it might make the 12 mile trip. They asked me how much I wanted, I told them $1K. So trading in the Windstar I would be driving out the F150 for $10K, tax and title included. Personally I don't think it's worth $1k (the Windstar*G*). I won't have to worry about getting rid of it, waiting for people to come and kick the tires or no shows. I'm very tempted to raid my 401K for the F150. I need to do something quick.

So any problems with these F150? I know about there were some issues with sparkplug threads in the heads.

Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Re: Thinking of buying a 99 F150 XLT....comments?

guy I know has one, his dad had it and he purchased it off his dad for next to nothing, it has 150K on the clock and I the thing runs like a top...he has take crazy good car eof it but it is a nice truck....My dad had a V6 and his timing chain cover cracked....aside form that I dont think he had any big issues either....
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

My dad has one. Had to have it into the dealer twice to fix the threads in the heads for the spark plugs. A couple on each side, so they did all the holes in both heads as they had them off anyway. Other than that, pretty solid trucks.
      Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

Best way to buy a used car/truck, know the owner, and how they take care of their stuff. Sounds like this guy is the type you want a used truck from, I'd say pull the trigger if you like it. The cap alone would cost you a grand +, if you bought a truck without one.

Good luck if you do the purchase!
        Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13
          Best way to buy a used car/truck, know the owner, and how they take care of their stuff. Sounds like this guy is the type you want a used truck from, I'd say pull the trigger if you like it. The cap alone would cost you a grand +, if you bought a truck without one.

Good luck if you do the purchase!
          Thanks, we were just talking about the truck. I was thinking the same about the cap! I would hate to go out and buy one. I'm glad I put a $100 deposit on it for the weekend to think about it. As you said, it's a plus knowing the history of it and that it didn't come from an auction lot someplace. When I worked at Hertz, all the abused cars went straight to auction. The good cars that weren't wrecked, well taken care of with known history went to Hertz used car lots. Bought a couple used cars that way with no issues.
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

To me the price seems a little high for an 11 year old truck. I know, I had a 2000 extended cab 4wd and sold it for $6k. Granted, I just wanted to get rid of it so I gave the kid a good deal.

As far as problems, as was already said, the sparkplugs sometimes jump out of the heads. It's an easy fix for a dealer that knows what they're doing and relatively inexpensive. Since it has the 5.4, it should have a 9.75" rear and 4R100 tranny. Both stout pieces that shouldn't give you any trouble.

Body wise, look at the seams where the door skins attach to inner door panels. It seems Ford screwed up when they were putting the doors together and these trucks are notorious for rust in the seems. The only other body problem was the door crack. Look at the driver door at the lower rear corner of the window. These trucks like to crack the sheetmetal there. Some were fixed under warranty, some weren't.

All in all, they are great trucks and I'm sure you'll be happy if you buy it. Hope this helps.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning
              To me the price seems a little high for an 11 year old truck. I know, I had a 2000 extended cab 4wd and sold it for $6k. Granted, I just wanted to get rid of it so I gave the kid a good deal.

As far as problems, as was already said, the sparkplugs sometimes jump out of the heads. It's an easy fix for a dealer that knows what they're doing and relatively inexpensive. Since it has the 5.4, it should have a 9.75" rear and 4R100 tranny. Both stout pieces that shouldn't give you any trouble.

Body wise, look at the seams where the door skins attach to inner door panels. It seems Ford screwed up when they were putting the doors together and these trucks are notorious for rust in the seems. The only other body problem was the door crack. Look at the driver door at the lower rear corner of the window. These trucks like to crack the sheetmetal there. Some were fixed under warranty, some weren't.

All in all, they are great trucks and I'm sure you'll be happy if you buy it. Hope this helps.
              Thanks for the tips. Yes, it has the big axle. First thing I looked for. It ran really well other then the exhaust seemed a little boomy. Although it's raining today and didn't get to look the truck over as much as I'd like to (which I told the salesman that I want to look at it when it's dry and contingent on that) I really didn't see anything like that. Like I said, it impressed me as being very, very clean and it was the sales manager's friend and was regularly serviced at the dealer. I know the price is a little high but I'm kinda in a bind.

My work truck from school, is an extended F250 that has a 4.6. It's a slug and I wasn't expecting the 5.4 to run all that much better but the 5.4 seemed to run very well with plenty of power.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

If it's a good clean truck, you can't go wrong. The only reason I sold mine was I didn't need it anymore and it was just taking up space.
                I R Bob
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

bulletproof vest for the plugs shootin through the hood

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                    bulletproof vest for the plugs shootin through the hood
                    Yeah and Obama doesn't own Ford. Blah blah blah ;) ;D
                    I R Bob

Comment

I just need to throw in my obligatory, "Towing with the 5.4L motor sucks balls", comment.

Other than that, I have a 5.4 powered F250 (although mine is a 3V) and it's not all that bad with nothing in the bed and nothing in tow.

Towing the Jav home was a 10mpg adventure....towing Goliath home was 8mpg.

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

LS1 SWAP

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                          LS1 SWAP

Jim, if I paint the engine Chevy orange....will that make you happy? :
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            I just need to throw in my obligatory, "Towing with the 5.4L motor sucks balls", comment.

Other than that, I have a 5.4 powered F250 (although mine is a 3V) and it's not all that bad with nothing in the bed and nothing in tow.

Towing the Jav home was a 10mpg adventure....towing Goliath home was 8mpg.

Brian
                            I'm not buying it for the fuel economy but for what it can do. My 08 extended E250 from school with the 4.6 gets a solid 10 mpg no matter what. The 4.6 is a slug in that heavy truck with all my tools and parts. The only trailer I have (for now) is a small one from Home Depot that I use to hall yard waste with my Subie about 1.5 miles to the town dump.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I think it's a good deal, don't get me wrong. By the sounds of it, the truck will fit your needs well.

I never knew you could even get a 4.6 in an F250 -- that's dumb.
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X