Hey D.F.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey D.F.

Do me a favor and tell the people at HRM how much I appreciate the "stuff a sbc or LSx into it" mentality. I guess a lack of imagination goes a long way in the magazine business.

I am a fan of the LS1 and I have on in a 98 Formula, but to stick them in everything as the be all end all? Man please.

Ok Im going to go back to welding on my unimpressive and boring old Pontiac that wont have a sbc in it and thus wont ever see the ink inside a magazine.

Re: Hey D.F.

Hahahaha.......I just had this conversation Saturday nigt....that and how it seems hot rod tried to develop trends and dictate what's cool and what's not...much like a fashion magazine.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Guys, I dont have a dog in this fight just remember this before i get flamed on this, you have to understand he has a magazine to sell, if you want him to do coverage on a poncho motor or a damn 5 horse briggs & stratton you have to put the request out there.

Comment

With D.F. back at HOT ROD I look forward to every new issue. He's Baskerville's illigitimate son!

Comment

.....but YOUNGER(at least a couple years....) :D! ~J/W.

Comment

I think they are reporting what they see at the shows. You know how many chevy's had LS engines in them at the GNRS show this year? There were an equal amount of LS powered cars to the ones with traditional sbc or BBC's. I'm split in my feelings for this. On one hand, the more people do it; the more there is competition in the marketplace and the prices will drop. Right now, it still isn't budget friendly. The other, I mentioned this to Chad when we were there; I'm already bored of seeing them. In any case, GM is selling a boat load of those motors.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Hey, it's just typical magazine bullshit. Get used to it. I really love the how to build big power on the cheap articles. Well, we got this $1000 crank for a buck at a swap meet.....and "What's his name machine shop" liked my smile and did $1200 of machine work for free....... ;D :. So, for $312 we built a 575 HP 350 : :P :-*
              STUGOTS

Comment

I guess some of the junkies thought the bleachers were too quiet.......damn where did I put those tomatoes
                a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                  I think they are reporting what they see at the shows. You know how many chevy's had LS engines in them at the GNRS show this year? There were an equal amount of LS powered cars to the ones with traditional sbc or BBC's. I'm split in my feelings for this. On one hand, the more people do it; the more there is competition in the marketplace and the prices will drop. Right now, it still isn't budget friendly. The other, I mentioned this to Chad when we were there; I'm already bored of seeing them. In any case, GM is selling a boat load of those motors.
                  I don't know about that scott...that nova I posted has an ls2...and it was purchased from a chevy dealer for 3800 bucks....the 383 in it was sold for 3000 and the harness and ecu was purchased online for 250 bucks...depending on the budget an ls can be done for a reasonable price...and I am impressed with the power these things make....but again...I don't like anyone telling me what's cool...
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                    I'm with you on that-I'm getting sick of the "305 I pulled out of an old pickup and slapped a $50 dress-up kit on it" under the hood of damn near everything. The worst is that these are the same people who always-ALWAYS-leave the hood up at cruise nights. At this point, my Mazda station wagon belongs in the shows more than some of those cars. I mean, it's not as collectible as, say, a '76 Nova, but there's no bloody small-block under the hood!

Comment

Originally posted by groucho
                      Hey, it's just typical magazine bullshit. Get used to it. I really love the how to build big power on the cheap articles. Well, we got this $1000 crank for a buck at a swap meet.....and "What's his name machine shop" liked my smile and did $1200 of machine work for free....... ;D :. So, for $312 we built a 575 HP 350 : :P :-*
                      My machine shop guy smiled......then handed
                      me his bill
                      ;D
                      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

What?! He didin't give ya 'The Buddy Deal' Monk ;D? ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                          No........he bitched and moaned the whole
                          time about the W block
                          :D
                          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk
                            Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                            No........he bitched and moaned the whole
                            time about the W block
                            :D
                            I really think we should get a discount for the bitching and moaning we hear from machine shop guys ;) Dang, one of the shops I use would be free "what, a SBC head? that's going to need new valves, seals, seats, guides", but, I say "I just bought this from Scoggins"... "Oh really" he says, "well, you know those heads keep coming back to me and then we have to do all of it again"..... I digress..... I'd faint dead away if I took something to a machine shop and the guy said "oh, that's an easy one, we'll have it for you tomorrow" and does.
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This again? : Let's see, May '10 edition in my hands. A supercharged Ardun-headed flatty. A genny SOHC. A 1,000 hp new Hemi. An all aluminum blown 636ci Hemi. A supercharged 4.6 liter. A fuel injected and supercharged 392 Hemi. A Ford GT powered '39 ford. A 521ci Boss. And a 'Model B-based Donavan D block with a replica Miller head.' Yeah I don't know exactly what that one is but it looks cool in that '32 pick-up.

I'm not a fan of stuffing a small block in everything either, but if they're not my cars and nobody asked me how I'd build it... How do you guys react when someone tells you how they would have built your car and what you did wrong?
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X