A Bit of Trouble With the Video Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Bit of Trouble With the Video Game

Remember, I am 52 years old, before you read any of the rest of this. Remember that.

And I'm real mad at a video game.

On the X-Box. Need for Speed.

I'm in a heads-up contest between a Corvette Z06 and a Porsche 911 GT3 RS

For what the hell, I took the Corvette. Because I love America. I don't doubt that a Corvette will go 9 thousand miles per hour on a long straight road, but...

The dang Corvette comes out of the hole like a mule tied to a barn. And then come the first turn on the road course, it pushes like a dump truck brimming over full of whale crap. The Porsche goes by me and I never see it again. End of game. That Corvette is a mighty fancy dump truck that you have to climb down into just to drive it.

Does a real Corvette drive like that? I'm really asking because I really don't honestly know. I've never even sat in a Corvette, let alone driven one in real life. I'm not a GM guy anyhow, but the Vette in this video game is a real POS. And it's all just a video game. Right or wrong, this video game didn't sell a lot of Corvettes, for sure.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Re: A Bit of Trouble With the Video Game

mine is a little different, it feels really planted and stable then almost instantly the rear end steps out, and not in any type of controlled fashion like either of the last 2 s10's I've had. It steps out and there is almost no control what-so-ever.

In the game if you can change the suspension settings try to give some toe out on the front, maybe a softer sway bar on the front OR a stiffer rear sway bar.

BUT just a FYI, need for speed games, IMO, suck, I only played a few that were cool, none realistic.

Comment

can't trust those games...

even an 87 subaru wagon with a flat six would give somebody a non-rear end stepping heart attack in comparison.

there is even pickups out there today mastered. :
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee
        And then come the first turn on the road course, it pushes like a dump truck brimming over full of whale crap.
        the corvette is long, and has power, use it. It is a "point and shoot" car. in slow, out fast. drive in a little deeper on the brakes, rotate the car and accelerate out using a very late apex. see if that helps IF you cannot set the suspension up.

Comment

I am using pro street for the pc. I can take my Z06 out on the course and see if I can dial in the handling for road racing. I will be back in 15 minutes with results. What version are you using?

Comment

I've won some heads-on contests driving the 911, and a radical Nissan as well. I haven't looked into modifying the chassis setup. Thanks for the idea. It may be possible, just haven't done it.

I dunno, but without any mods, the Vette is just the worst in the whole collection. Maybe I simply don't understand why the game programmers set it up that way. Maybe the programmers were Ford guys, or Porsche guys or what have ya. It's just a game, after all, and it sure is fun. Drive wreckless and wreck and don't hurt a thing. Reset. Do it again.

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
              I am using pro street for the pc. I can take my Z06 out on the course and see if I can dial in the handling for road racing. I will be back in 15 minutes with results. What version are you using?
              Uhhh it's just X-box.... console. What do I say?

Comment

Those games are geared for the younger generation. Of course the vette is going to go slow on purpose. Kids today are running ricers with fart cans. So thats what they race on the games. Then they try to do that with their car. :o :o
                OH YEAH
                Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Ten or so years ago one of my friends described the handling characteristics of Bowser on Mario Kart 64 as "It turns like a cow on stilts" :D I now describe our F-250's like that :D
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I mean which need for speed game? The first thing I did so I could change things was to upgrade the stock suspension to have adjustability. Three hot laps gave me a time on 3:34. Stiffening the rear swaybar got it down to 3:32. The car still was having understeer issues under hard braking. I softened the front springs to help transfer with weight transfer under braking. That alone dropped the three lap time down to 3:29. Lowering the car halfway between stock and maximum drop got me down to 3:27. Understeer was still and issue, but it beat the heck out of the original setup.

Comment

Originally posted by hoofhearted
                      Kids today are running ricers with fart cans. So thats what they race on the games. Then they try to do that with their car. :o :o
                      Holy garbage, do u guys try to sound this old on purpose? haha

Comment

Originally posted by Black Steelies
                        Originally posted by hoofhearted
                        Kids today are running ricers with fart cans. So thats what they race on the games. Then they try to do that with their car. :o :o
                        Holy garbage, do u guys try to sound this old on purpose? haha
                        Uhhhh Steelie, I'm sure we ARE this old, and not on purpose.....

Comment

I started out with the whole video game ricer thing. Thankfully, Dad set me straight not long after that. I still do the computer games because there is not a lot of things to do up here during the winter.

Comment

Sorry Peewee, i get a laugh when some guys start off something by saying "Kids today..."

was it really all that different when those guys were kids, working on ricin up cars, listening to music and messing around with girls?

just the details changed:

ricin' = roddin', just with 4 less cylinders haha. It's pretty cool that hobby made it to modern cars today

Comment

Working...
                            X