Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it wrong? A question I would like answered.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it wrong? A question I would like answered.

I see a lot of bashing of the "checkbook gear head" so lets talk about it....I want to know where you stand...what is acceptable when is it okay to buy your rod...when is okay to farm out tasks....

let me propose this question.............lets say that I make 500K a year, and I want a hot rod...I love hot rods and have always wanted one...but lets say I am the type of guy that should never be around a tool...ever...lets say I have no skills whatsoever...Plus in order to make that 500K..I am super busy and top that off with family...the time just is not in the cards........should I not buy a hot rod because it makes me a poser because I don't have the capacity to build one myself?

And if I did buy a hot rod...I couldn't fit into certain circles cuz i did not build it...Am I really an outcast and would you really turn your nose up at a guy like that?
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: Why is it wrong? A question I would like answered.

To me you are not an outcast, after having worked on OTR trucks for 4 years i have no desire or place to work on stuff, that being said if i had a shop (4 walls and a concrete floor) i could get into it again...

Comment

It seems to me that there is a group that believes if you didn't mine the ore and smelt the iron to build the tools to build ALL your own parts that you are a poser.

I personally believe that they are just jealous that they haven't learned how to balance their checkbook so that they can write checks.

Personally, I have no problem with people writing checks to professionals for services that they are not capable of performing. In you example, that would mean buying a turnkey hot rod. I think the benchmark should be do they enjoy hotroding or is it merely another bobble to display their success with?

Comment

There's a general dislike of those who have money from certain groups of people. That whole blue collar against white collar type of thing.

If I had more money, I would be paying others to do certain jobs on my car.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I built my own and am still an outcast. There's alot more cliques than those who build versus those who buy

Comment

Doesn't matter to me how you got your toy, as long as you enjoy it and play with it, I don't care.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Same kinda attitude amongst some HAMB'ers.

If we ALL built our own stuff, how would all the hot rod and kustom shops make a living?
              Not everyone has mad skills with a wrench, torch, or spray gun - ya know?
              Some folks can operate a checkbook, and that's OK!

As I have pointed out, Father Larry Ernst was a great lover and owner of kustoms.
              His day job was serving his flock as a priest, and he wasn't mechanically inclined.
              Yet, he owned and enjoyed his kustoms as much as the home shop apes loved their creations.

We are CAR GUYS, OK? We like cars, and how we enjoy driving them is our common denominator.
              How they came to be, is not nearly as important.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Too me it comes down to how often is it driven or used. If it's just for showing up to parties or car shows, then Meh, not my type. If it was bought, not a single nut or bolt turned on it by the new owner, but he/she goes out and flogs the hell out of it on the dragstrip, autocross track or litterally real daily driving then I'm good with it. But hey, I don't get paying big money for art on the wall in a house either, it does nothing but sit there to be looked at and talked about (like my first example).
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I don't give half a rat's crap how a car came to be if I dig it, I dig it. There are just as many jerks that build their own stuff as those that are jerks who paid others.

On the stuff that doesn't get driven, it's basically a sculpture. Again, no problem from me. I'd rather someone with uber bucks have Troy Trapanier build some insano show rod than some dinko glass artist get paid to make an unidentifiable piece of "art".

I know the limits of my own skills and given the chance, I'd farm junk out to the local talent (actually I am with the floors in Goliath).

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I only have issue with cars that are NEVER driven. Other than that....I am happy to see them.

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                      I don't give half a rat's crap how a car came to be if I dig it, I dig it. There are just as many jerks that build their own stuff as those that are jerks who paid others.

On the stuff that doesn't get driven, it's basically a sculpture. Again, no problem from me. I'd rather someone with uber bucks have Troy Trapanier build some insano show rod than some dinko glass artist get paid to make an unidentifiable piece of "art".

I know the limits of my own skills and given the chance, I'd farm junk out to the local talent (actually I am with the floors in Goliath).

Brian
                      Bingo.

Comment

the thing is - checkbook hot rodders want you to work on their cars FOR FREE - you know , because it such way too super cool car
                        that is my problem with that

oh yeah , if you are that into our scene , why not take the time to at least TRY ?
                        yep loaded with experience and ability - no money , guess I should starve the kids and build a wild car

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                          There's a general dislike of those who have money from certain groups of people. That whole blue collar against white collar type of thing.

If I had more money, I would be paying others to do certain jobs on my car.
                          Exactly, some stuff is better left to a professional, other stuff you do yourself.

Now saying that, if you don't do one drop of work on your HotRod, then your not a Hot Rodder, but that's not saying your not a car guy.

Comment

I Don't expect everyone to have a 100% home-built car, but I have a lot more respect for the guy who does as much of his own work as he can.

Tried my hand at doing my own paint & bodywork twice - failed miserably so I farmed that work out to a pro this time. I did strip the thing down completely until it came to the point where it was beyond my meagre skills, and I re assembled it 100% myself after he painted it. (With the help of wife & friends.) I also don't have a machine shop in my garage, so that work is going to someone who does it for a living.

But the 100% chequebook guys? Posers as far as I'm concerned. At least they could learn to check the ####in' oil for themselves. It seems, things like skill and craftsmanship from the average guy are swiftly disapearing - be it cars, carpentry or anything else...not a good sign if you ask me.

Comment

like a trade school argument we had ...why not invest the 30k they charge for admission into tools and get a job somewhere ?

we are always looking for kids that are not a walking busy signal

Comment

Working...
                              X