How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers

Hope this is not a repost but it is cool!!!

How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers
    Professional motorsport is a cold, hard place. If you want to run with the big dogs, you can't just build a car in your mom's garage and show up, right? Wrong. One guy did just that. Here's his amazing story.

This is the multifaceted tale of Bill Caswell, a man who bought a $500 crapcan off Craigslist to run against the $400,000-plus rally cars in a World Rally Championship race earlier this month. It is a tale of a guy who had a welder, a bunch of credit cards, and a lot of free time but no real backing or funds. It is a story of a dude who taught himself how to build an FIA-legal roll cage, with no prior experience, because he wanted to spend the fabrication fee on race tires instead. It's the story of an enthusiast who drove a rustbucket to a third-place finish in an FIA-sanctioned race.

Most of all, it is a story of hoonage.

Bill Caswell, an unemployed Chicago racing freak, entered the Mexico round of the World Rally Championship in a 1991 BMW 318i that he found on Craigslist. The car cost $500. One year ago, Caswell decided that he wanted to go rallying with Rally America. Two months later, he crashed a car and blew up an engine five minutes into his first event. Four events later, he found a loophole in the FIA rules that let him enter a twenty-year-old car in the same event as guys like Ken Block and former F1 driver Kimi Raikkonen

More on link

Professional motorsport is a cold, hard place. If you want to run with the big dogs, you can't just build a car in your mom's garage and show up, right? Wrong. One guy did just that. Here's his amazing story.
    2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
    First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
    2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
    2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Re: How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers

Amazing, what a great story.

I immediately translated that into , "Why can't a few half millions of us ever achieve success with GREAT guitars and equipment?" Not taped together junk, I mean good stuff.

Answer = "Talent."

It's so good to see that story. Great post! Very inspiring. Well written, and I loved it.

pw
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I don't care if it is a repost, I didn't see it the first time. Awesome read!

Comment

very cool!
        www.Nightmare-Motorsports.com

Comment

Hellyeah!

Comment

thats awsome!

Comment

it is a rerun, http://www.bangshift.com/forum/index.php?topic=20849.0 however, that story is so awesome it could be repeated 10x without getting old.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yeah, this guy is my new Hero, right behind the guy who has the job of putting the oil on the Girls for Playboy.
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                X