2.4 grand ams seem to run forever
      the 4t40 is an excellent transmission
      the 2.4 does not suffer the intake leaks the vee six has

Comment

Re: The continued search for a college car

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        saab 9000 - very expensive parts
        that is the lancia thing ? oh no - bad
        I don't know if the parts are expensive. Haven't had to replace anything.

Oh wait, there was that fuel pump. Bosch replacement pump in stock at the local parts store for $60.00, took about half hour to change. (access panel in the trunk floor)

Comment

jeff had a 9000 - not a mechanic , so he had to pay for repairs , $$$$$$$

Comment

though Walt and his fam may in no way shape or form be looking for any car that isn't 'merican built, I would suggest a Volvo to anyone looking for cheap efficient transportation.

Volvos are famous for their practical Swedish design and many wagon variants. Though not the most stylish brand, their 5 cylinder powerplants are pretty tough and some can b had with turbos. Parts can be expensive if they arent maintained well but can rack up some serious miles otherwise. On top of that, older models feature some pretty up-to-date safety measures. I've found cheap examples all over the place, if u can put up with an ugly 20+ year old car, go for it.

Comment

the kid says he has no need for imports
              fwd volvos ain't all that

Comment

Originally posted by Black Steelies
                if u can put up with an ugly 20+ year old car, go for it.
                What do you think I have been doing? ;D

Anyway, I went up to tech for Friday and Today, and I learned several things. The first bit is the good news: Through the AFROTC scholarship, all of my tuition and fees are covered for a full five years for engineering, including books. Through the school, I have a full room and board grant for all five years. This more or less means that my family will have to put much less money out to put me through school. In fact, the scholarship is very close to full ride. It means that I will likely be able to avoid having to split my time between a job and school to help cover things. It also means that my family will be able to look at a decent car.

The second isn't really bad news, more just a reality I will have to live to with. Houghton is built in a valley. There are no flat roads in town. I am thinking that having something that can claw it's way uphill will be vital. The second is that I will likely have very little space to work on the car, so having something that need work is going to be a difficult situation to deal with. I don't mind driving a bare bones car with no amenities, I do it every day. But in this case, I will likely be the driver for two other students between Tech and home. So having something that can comfortably haul three people and there bags is a plus.

One car that would seem to fit the general bill is an Olds Aurora. AWD, good powerplant, four doors, nicely appointed interior. What I don't know about them is their reliabilty. Anyone have experience?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  the kid says he has no need for imports
                  fwd volvos ain't all that
                  Ik that, i mentioned it, jus mentioned them to anyone else perusing this thread.

also i was talking about older Volvos in general e.g. 200/700/900 series cars. they were rwd

IMO pretty reliable cars b4 being bought by ford

Comment

And Walt I feel ya on the 20 y.o. car bit.  My daily is an 87 and I love it to death but it is an ugly car.

Congrats on the ROTC scholarship! my roommate did that and he loved it but he signed with the Army. the bastard even got a $500 stipend every month or something like that. if you can deal with it, they treat ya right  ;)

Comment

no awd on the aurora , but the bravada has awd
                      stay away from northstars , nice motor , but cranky

Comment

OK. For some reason I thought they were AWD.

Comment

Like I posted earlier.... Subaru... Yes, it is a japanese make... But, they do and have since the late 80's built cars in the USA... AWD, can go the distance and parts are not that expensive...

There is nothing that is made by an american company that fits your needs... What 'american' made product will get 25 mpg, has awd and is reliable that is not SUV based?

The Volvo thing is a good idea as well... Lots of aftermarket support if you know where to look...Some of those later model Volvo's, at least the V70 had AWd as an option. If memeory serves me, it is the Haldex system...

You need to look at what you have to spend and time... You will not have time to work on a car while going to school and maintain the grades you need for your scholarship... Get something that will last you the five years and when you graduate, get your 'dream car' or as close as possible...

Comment

Walt,

CONGRATS ON THE SCHOLARSHIP, BRUTHA!!!
                            You aimin' for a pilot slot?
                            I was USAF for 7 years, so if you've got any questions....

On the hunt for wheels...if you're gonna be in snow country, you're gonna need 4wd....

Did they make Jeep Cherokees with a 4cyl? the best I ever got with my '89 6cyl was about 18mpg.

Or a Ford Exploder, or S-10 4wd variant.
                            Good luck dude...

Comment

They do make 4cyl Cherokees in 2WD and 4WD, though I still vote for 98+ GM H, C, or W bodies.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X