Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a muncie 4 speed need to fit snug into the bellhousing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a muncie 4 speed need to fit snug into the bellhousing?

A friend of mine has a question about the fitment of his muncie 4 speed trans. to the bellhousing. He has more than 1 bellhousing and they vary. The main difference/ concern is the way that the trans. fits into the bellhousing. All of the bolts line up but 1 of them fits snug into the back of the bellhousing and the other the hole in the bellhousing is about 1/4" bigger. It will bolt up to either of them though. We have been told by some people that it needs to fit snug and some people say that it does not need to fit snug as long as the bolts line up. My question is does it need to fit snug into the bellhousing? Thanks in advance!!!!

Re: Does a muncie 4 speed need to fit snug into the bellhousing?

absolutely must fit snug - the fit of the trans to the bellhousing is what centers the input shaft to the center of the crank.

In order for the transmission main shaft center line and the engine crankshaft centerline to be in fact the same line.

The only way to do that is to have the bellhousing snug to the locating pins on the back of the block, and the transmission snug into the bore of the bellhousing

(which should be centered properly - this is not always the case with steel shaterproof bellhousings -- there's tons of info on the net about how to check that and correct it)
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

wow ! a muncie

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        wow ! a muncie
        the guy next door to our shop came over againg the other day and told me to come get the tranny out of his basement{I picked up a 55-64"P"case complete inhis basement a few weeks ago}
        I went down there grab this box bring it to the shop and it is a muncie he stoped over a few days later and when I asked were it came from he said he had it taken out of his vette when it was a year old he did not like it lol
        so i GOT A YEAR OLD MUNCIE FOR FREE LOL there still out there
        Ya bore should fit nice and snug

Comment

truck bellhousings starting around 1967 used a bigger hole, to fit the SM465 trans...he needs the right bellhousing that fits the trans.

I chased a jumping out of high gear problem in a car for a while, finally figured out it had the truck bellhousing, putting the right one fixed the problem'
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            truck bellhousings starting around 1967 used a bigger hole, to fit the SM465 trans...he needs the right bellhousing that fits the trans.

I chased a jumping out of high gear problem in a car for a while, finally figured out it had the truck bellhousing, putting the right one fixed the problem'
            good info.
            There is many places in a car to let things slide...
            drivetrain is not one of them. Not even a millimter. Add high power, and popping out of gear is minimal in comparison to what could happen.

I learned my lesson with some lifters whose actual hydraulic squish is one half of one millimiter. One could guess at the lash....damn. microscopic. :

some engineers did not play around like the cars look like they do.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
            X