Maserati BiTurbo, what to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maserati BiTurbo, what to look for?

My dad and I are going to look at a cheap 85 Maserati we found for sale for Dylan this weekend, says great runner, solid body and not much rust except around the wheel wells, the pictures looked good.
    Any trouble areas we should look for?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: Maserati BiTurbo, what to look for?

Trouble areas?!

Start with the ENTIRE CAR.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

What to look for? Falling rubish bins!!

Want more Top Gear? Visit the official Top Gear channel: http://bit.ly/TopGearWWTop GearWhether you’re searching for a caravan challenge, Ken Block in the Ho...
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I'd say the thing to look for is your easiest escape route. There's a reason why those cars can be bought for a song ... total turd. Unless you're planning an engine swap, run away.

cheers
        Ed N.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

A tow truck?

Comment

Huge piles of long green?
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Maserati BiTurbo, what to look for?

A differant car? Hahahahahahaha ;D

Comment

This was on a used car lot by my house for a couple years. Not the invisible Italian sheet metal. This is a Quatroporte but what the hell's the difference really?

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

These cars were so rare but personally Id go for the Quattroporte [just over 2k built b/t 76-90]. The interiors alone were beautiful. but i also have no idea where I'd start either. No cheaper way to get into a vintage exotic

But yea they are cheap for a reason. U'd think after being bought out by DeTomaso they would've come to their senses and ditched the unreliable engines for the Ford 5.0 as used in the Mangusta. I search Maseratis every now and then on craigs.

try a maserati forum perchance? http://www.maseratilife.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=16

Comment

What did Dylan do to deserve such a horrid punishment?!? Has he been killing neighborhood pets or something?! Unless you're going to replace every mechanical and electrical component on that turd, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!! Maseratti's are legendary for being in the shop more than they were on the road, especially the ones from the 80's. I remember hearing horror stories about these things when they were brand new. I wouldn't even touch it for fear the bad mojo would contaminate me.
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Bi-turbos are fiddly at best... But really nice cars to drive... The later models with fuel injection (yes the early cars had a blow through system, if I remeber correctly) are the ones to get as they were put together well (for a '80 Italian mid-level exotic) and the electronics were margianlly better...

For a DD, you would have to pay me a large some of beer and tires to even entertain the idea of owning one...

One as a weekend cruiser, maybe... If everything was in order... Usually not found a on a cheap Bi-turbo...

Comment

Some years back,we had one at Reedman's. Ran 'jitterishly'(is that a Word?)/Steering Column shook like crazy,when running...it diddin't matter what gear you were...or WEREN'T :o...in. The Wipers would stop mid-stroke up the Windsheild,the E-Brake Cable snapped(Dealership actually FIXED it with a FACTORY replacement :o!!...),the Transmission(Automatic is this case...)slipped,the Engine would 'smoke' under full throttle. Lots of problems with it,BUT...that didin't stop the Guy'z from slapping a $5500 price Tag on it :o. The Body on the other Hand,was excellent due to it being Garaged. Why don't you just go out 'an buy a Nice Pinto Wagon instead,Shag ;D ;D? ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                          Trouble areas?!

Start with the ENTIRE CAR.

I agree. I was on a 6cyl kick for awhile...
                          the maserati is a strange one on top of all the v6 strangeness. The only owner stuff I saw written was the placement of turbos..insane on wiring, the cabin, and flows...and then there is the overall crazy physics of all v6 at the heart if it...

one is better off hacking a cheap flat six sube or an 87 porsche with a blown headgasket...(both stereotyped- wrongfully so...) :
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Stay away !! Unless you can adopt a family in Italy that can hook you up with parts.No really stay
                            away.Get a nice G body Gm car nice and simple and cheap.

Comment

My brother would never, ever want to drive such a gorgeous car as a G Body

seriously, he's mostly into italian cars and......
                              uuugggggghhhhh
                              cars with stereos bigger than the engines
                              Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Working...
                              X