• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I got a killer deal!

or a 100 of them hey?
    lets race Sawyer air force base ;D

Comment

Sawyer is just down the road from me, they wont let us race there. That makes me a sad panda.

Comment

Yeah I kinda figured that, but it would be cool hey?
        The base is pretty much closed, right?
        I remember as a kid in the mid 60's seeing a fighter just fly over at tree top level really slow at Greater Bass Lake about 18 mi north of Antigo. Unbelievably loud as hell.
        Remember sonic booms?

Comment

I grew up in the middle of Nebraska, we had a radar training area right above us. Back when Nam was still going I remember seeing all sorts of stuff fly over just high enough to clear the trees, LOTS of booms back then, almost a daily thing. Later it was B52s and F111s doing very low level flight trying to hide from the radar in Hastings that was 300ft higher than where I lived.

Its a huge part of why I joined the Air Force.

Comment

Cool stuff when your a kid. There's A10's flying with the National Guard in Madison about 90 mi to the west of me. Awesome aircraft.

Back to the tread, if you walked out to your garage and found your goat missing and another gp in its place, bet the killer deal would be the heart attack you'd have.

Totally of topic here,how does one start a thread? Forgive me I'm a computer DORK :

Comment

Originally posted by ch1ll

Totally of topic here,how does one start a thread? Forgive me I'm a computer DORK :
              Look for the New Topic (red button - upper right) out where all the different threads are listed - I'm sure there's a fancy name for that area but? - me helping someone else with a computer question ? - now that should have been an April Fool's joke.... sheeez.........that's a laugh.
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by ch1ll
                Cool stuff when your a kid. There's A10's flying with the National Guard in Madison about 90 mi to the west of me. Awesome aircraft.

Back to the tread, if you walked out to your garage and found your goat missing and another gp in its place, bet the killer deal would be the heart attack you'd have.

The year I spent in Korea at Osan AB filled my lifetime requirement of A10s, F16s, and U2s. Kuwait the following year maxed my lifetime limit on IL76, An 124, and AN225 loading.

Comment

*Off Topic* Is/are the U-2's still in service today? *Off Topic Over* ~J/W.

Comment

Kuwait the following year maxed my lifetime limit on IL76, An 124, and AN225 loading.
                    [/quote]
                    Were those all charter moves Todd ? Most of them have Russian flight crews. Were you a loadmaster or similar ?
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
                      *Off Topic* Is/are the U-2's still in service today? *Off Topic Over* ~J/W.
                      In 2009, the Air Force stated that it plans to extend the U-2 retirement from 2012 until 2014 or later. The delay is to allow more time to field the RQ-4 Global Hawk to replace the U-2.

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                      1966 Plymouth Fury III
                      2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                      Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                      Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10

Kuwait the following year maxed my lifetime limit on IL76, An 124, and AN225 loading.
                        Were those all charter moves Todd ? Most of them have Russian flight crews. Were you a loadmaster or similar ?
                        [/quote]

I was an Air Transportation Craftsman, 60571 / 2T271 in Aerial Ports and Air Mobility Squadrons, with a little bit of time in an Air Mobility Operations Group. We used some Russian planes to move stuff around, nothing secret or anything, just stuff. I drove 60K Tunners, all terrain forklifts, and all sorts of other vehicles that move cargo. They could move basic stuff far cheaper than the cost of using C141, C17, or C5 aircraft, so they were used when they were available.

Our cargo planes have a pallet system with rails on the edges and rollers in the floors that hold the pallets in place. The Russian IL76 didnt have the rails, but it had rollers. The Antonovs had small bearing like rollers on a huge flat floor. It made tying down stuff a real pain. You have to connect chains to everything and the floor to keep it from moving around in the plane so the balance doesnt change, otherwise you get lawn darts.

In Germany back in 89-90 I was part of the load team for President Bush Sr's secret service team, those Suburbans are HEAVY. Also loaded helicopters, tanks, trucks, armor, and a few disassembled A10s. Fun job, part of history and right in the thick of it, but no glamor, and very little recognition. Also a prime target because if you stop the flow of supplies, you stop the army. It seemed like I was always right at the epicenter of the crazy busy cargo movement for both the first war and the latest one. My units set all kinds of records during the Gulf War and Iraqi Freedom, they started making up annual awards to give us.

This is a 60K. It will lift 60,000lbs of cargo high enough to stuff it in a 747 or DC10, and you can move it around while its up. It will also squat down and load a C130 and other aircraft with low cargo decks. The bed tilts in every direction so you can match the aircraft on uneven terrain. They cost over $2 million each, so there is an extensive training program for them. Fun to drive, the center axle doesnt swivel, the rest of them do so you can turn it around in a much tighter area.

I kinda miss the job, it was satisfying to be part of such a large and important endeavor. It did end up tearing me up pretty bad though, its a highly physical job and it is very easy to get hurt or killed even without a war going on. Sorta like FedEx wearing green with mortars dropping around you.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation - I just caught up with this thread. I'm only on line weekdays.
                          Very interesting stuff - I work in the civilian air and ocean (no bombs) freight forwarding industry and we've had an
                          AN-124 in Omaha a couple times. Don't forget when you get to Omaha on your way back home lunch is on me brother.
                          Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
                            Thanks for the explanation - I just caught up with this thread. I'm only on line weekdays.
                            Very interesting stuff - I work in the civilian air and ocean (no bombs) freight forwarding industry and we've had an
                            AN-124 in Omaha a couple times. Don't forget when you get to Omaha on your way back home lunch is on me brother.
                            Ok will do. Im usually rolling through in the wee hours, but I will be back near the end of May. Pm me your contact info sometime before then. We could get all the Huskers on BS together and do something interesting.

Comment

Working...
                            X