Suggestions for Upcoming Move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Upcoming Move?

Divorce is final and I'm moving rest of my stuff from Tampa Bay to Ohio the week of 4/26. I'm looking at ways to make this happen but are there any ideas or possibilities I haven't thought of?

Background details:
    Already used Uhaul truck to move tools, garage stuff, and the Impala last July.
    I left the ex almost all the household stuff but I still have a considerable load left to haul.
    Also taking detour to deliver Marine Son and DIL?s furniture to them at Camp LeJeune in NC.
    20 yr old daughter hasn't yet decided if she's coming with me, so may have her stuff too.

I have a 1 ton dually but too much stuff to fit in UHaul's largest trailer (6x12).
    Don't want to rent another truck (>$800) and drive two (low mileage) vehicles.
    Daughter can't/won't drive even the smaller of the two anyway.
    Dually won't fit on Uhaul trailer

If I buy an enclosed trailer (16?-18?), I would simply sell in Ohio but the used trailer market seems depressed there so I would likely lose my arse.
    If I'm going to buy a trailer to keep, I would want one big enough to haul the Impala, but don't have enough cash left after settlement to buy one that size anyway.

The only people I know personally that have trailers I could borrow would require swift return, sooner than I could get back to Tampa Bay. I'll be back to the area eventually, not sure of precisely when. No later than end of October but probably much sooner since I've agreed to help the ex move when the house eventually sells.

The best possible solution would be if someone had an empty trailer they simply needed transported and didn't mind me filling it for the trip.
    Next best would be a rent/loaner from someone who just had a trailer sitting around not being used. I could get it back to them eventually, just not sure exactly when.

What other ideas have I not thought of?

Re: Suggestions for Upcoming Move?

Not sure if it's do able, but if you could sell most of your stuff, then you would only have to move the money. Then get different stuff in Ohio. Whatever you do, good luck.

Comment

I would get one of those PODS, load it up and they deliever to your door step, even store it for a while if need be
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
        I would get one of those PODS, load it up and they deliever to your door step, even store it for a while if need be
        this might work
        COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I hadn't thought of the POD thing so I sent in a request for a quote this morning. All they asked for on the quote is when and where they should drop the thing off, and where it was going, not when they could pickup or deliver. I assume that means they can't give a precise date for either. Thanks for the idea guys.

Comment

Try these guys for price -

Planning an out of state move? U-Pack Moving is the affordable solution. You pack, load and unload, and U-Pack drives. Compare to traditional moving companies and see how much you can save!
            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Sorry to hear man - been there done that - and it was only Ohio to Michigan.

Try uship.com as well - maybe able to come up with something there. I've had good luck there a couple times.

Used trailers seem to be selling for good prices pretty much everywhere in this lovely economy - I'd still keep my eyes out for that possibility too.... just make sure it has decent tires on it before you make that long haul - check those DOT codes for date of manufacture!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

buy an older u haul truck and then sell it in ohio..
                it'll be more than the 800 rental fee up front.. less than the trailer in the end..
                after the sale.. you can get box trucks cheap also..

or post a craigliss ad/ e bay/ ect
                there might be an area moving company( ohio area) thats going down loaded to fla.
                but coming back empty.. that you could swing a deal with.. as having a load is better than empty.

Comment

Okay, I realize this is, hmmmmmmm how do I put this, shady?....

But, I do know a guy that bought a small enclosed trailer for Drag Week one year and used it all week, took it home and detailed it, and then returned it to Menards where he bought it.

Lowes sells a 7'x16' enclosed trailer at the North Tampa store. It's like $5000
                  "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad
                    Okay, I realize this is, hmmmmmmm how do I put this, shady?....

But, I do know a guy that bought a small enclosed trailer for Drag Week one year and used it all week, took it home and detailed it, and then returned it to Menards where he bought it.

Lowes sells a 7'x16' enclosed trailer at the North Tampa store. It's like $5000
                    ha.. might be hard to return in ohio if they don't stock it ;)

Comment

Working...
                    X