More Granddad goodness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Granddad goodness

Brian's "I love talking to my grand dad" post was kind of prophetic. This past week I scored some treasured pics of to my two grandfathers that I'd like to share.

First up is Grandpa Cole. I mentioned in some previous posts that I am a 4th generation engineer. Dad and I are both Mechanical Engineers in the oil biz. We've both worked on some massive projects that have received TV coverage, but nothing really special. Grandpa Cole was in the Aerospace business during breakneck pace of the '50s and '60s. The aircraft and projects that he was involved with seem almost legendary. Certainly a lot more interesting than pumping oil from Tank A to Vessel B.

Anyway, here is my grandfather, Willis Cole, Jr., sitting the cockpit of what is probably the most interesting project he worked on. The McDonnell XV-1.

Now, what is the XV-1 you might ask? It was one of the first convertiplane technology demonstrators and the world's first rotorcraft to exceed 200 mph in level flight. It was unique in that it utilized tip jets for VTOL and a prop for horizontal flight. Here are some pics I pulled off the internet.

Horizontal Flight

Vertical Take Off (or landing?)

Two XV-1's were built and both of them remain. This one is in the National Air and Space Museum's Garber storage facility.

The other XV-1 is at the Army Aviation Museum in Ft. Rucker, AL. I'd like to repeat the cockpit picture before Grandpa passes (he's 87 now), but unfortunately, neither NASM nor Ft. Rucker are allowing public access to their XV-1's.

I'll talk about Grandpa Weikart tomorrow.

Re: More Granddad goodness

Man alive that is neat!

There's some serious pride in his face to be sitting in a craft he helped create.

Thanks for posting those!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

bad ass - nothing motivated like the cold war

Comment

Very nice . I wish everyday mine was still here.

Comment

Re: More Granddad goodness (added pics)

Ok,it is time for Grandpa Weikart.

I had previously posted this pic of taken of him in the Netherlands during operation Market Garden in 1944.
          This was is second Glider drop into Europe. His first was D-Day of course.

So, a couple of weeks ago I was in Phoenix visiting some of my Weikart family relatives and was surprised to see this shadow box on the wall.
          Everybody new these existed, but nobody new where they were. Apparently my Aunts uncovered these while moving Grandma into an assisted living facility last year.

I did a little research it turns out that practically every WWII soldier in the 82nd Airborne had a purple heart and a bronze or silver star.
          I can't really tell what color the star is supposed to be in this photo.

Comment

I never had a grandpa so i enjoy hearing and reading about yours.
            Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

My Dad's dad past away several years before I was born, and my Mom's when she was two :-\ Dad's Mom never remarried, then the guy my Mom called Dad and I Grandpa, was a real quiet easy to smile old fashion mail man. Then it wasn't until after he passed away a few years ago (after a long run of alzhiemers..) that we (at least my Mom and I) found out he was in the Air Force :o Damn, if only I'd of known, but even my Mom didn't know until funeral arraignments were being made.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

My daddy trained to fly at the end of WWII. We have this phot of him the day he soloed in a Stearmann:

He went on to advanced training and flunked out of aerobatic maneuvers, so they assigned him to be a tail gunner on a B-17.

The war ended before he was deployed. So many stories. He passed away in 2000. As Mark Twain pointed out so many years ago, my daddy got a whole lot smarter and more interesting the more I got older myself. A gold mine.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Aircooled,
                  If your Granddad was in the 82nd and was with a glider outfit, could he have been stationed at Fort Bragg and done his glider training at Maxton (Laurinburg - Maxton Airbase)?

Comment

Thanks for sharing! I'll bet he had a lot of great stories to tell. I had an uncle who past away a few years ago who worked in that field. Had a lot of stories to tell as well. The one story he told me was he had been assigned a task along with several other guys to way to come up with a way to disperse water over a specified area at a very high altitude. He didn't take it to seriously and handed in a formula. Later on he found out his was chosen but it was to disperse nuclear war heads :o not water. He said if he knew that at the time, he would have taken the task more seriously.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts
                      Aircooled,
                      If your Granddad was in the 82nd and was with a glider outfit, could he have been stationed at Fort Bragg and done his glider training at Maxton (Laurinburg - Maxton Airbase)?
                      I really don't know where grandpa Weikart trained. He actually started out in the 401st GIR of the 101st airborne. Upon arrival in England, his battalion was transfered to the 325th GIR of the 82nd airborne.

Thanks for the info on the connection with Maxton

Comment

Dang, wouldn't you know it. The day after I posted the pic of grandpa Cole in the XV-1, he trips on a crack in the driveway and shatters his right hip. He is scheduled for artificial hip installation tomorrow. He did ok 20 years ago when his left hip was replaced, but now he is 87 and has heart issues, so there is quite a bit of risk this time around. The whole family is on pins and needles.

Comment

Here's a thread I wrote some time ago about my maternal grandfather who died 6 months before I was born. He was a B-17 pilot during WWII. After seeing all the pics he took at that time; I really wish I knew him.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X