• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 Dead in W.V.

AND four missing .
    as a mine shaft goes boom..

pray for the families

Re: 25 Dead in W.V.

sad stuff... prayers for the families said.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Damn SHAME...and a DISGRACE! Seems the Mine Operators/Owners have had MANY MAJOR VOILATIONS over the years. In 2009 for example,the Mine had 500-HUNDRED VOILATIONS,in 2006,a Fire,in the Mine killed 2 Miners. Anyway,prayers being sent :-[ :'(. ~J/W.

Comment

Originally posted by Junk Whisperer
        Damn SHAME...and a DISGRACE! Seems the Mine Operators/Owners have had MANY MAJOR VOILATIONS over the years. In 2009 for example,the Mine had 500-HUNDRED VOILATIONS,in 2006,a Fire,in the Mine killed 2 Miners. Anyway,prayers being sent :-[ :'(. ~J/W.
        A shame indeed. I just heard that this very mine had some major violation citations just a few weeks ago.

Comment

Don't let the violation count fool you. MSHA is OSHA on steroids, and simple things like a greasy rag sitting on a floor can net a violation. Our mine was recently hit for something like 25 violations for unlabeled "spare" circiut breakers : And we were hit last year for something like 20 violations on belt guards on electric motors, which had OEM designed guards on them that had been good for 12 years, but suddenly weren't good enough :

Unless they show an itemized list of those violations I don't care what the number is. Oh and it doesn't really take much to cite something as a major violation (such as the rag..), there aren't many minor violations in MSHA's eyes.

This article goes against the mob.
          Get breaking news and the latest headlines on business, entertainment, politics, world news, tech, sports, videos and much more from AOL

Still couldn't pay me enough to work in an underground coal mine, and would take a big boat load of cash to get me to work at an open pit one.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It's dangerous work,to be SURE. Still is sad about these Mining Men,Lord knows what the Courts are going to say/do to the Owner(s). ~J/W.

Comment

Being from WV , my Father and both my Grandfathers were miners, my nephew and cousin are miners.
              I also just learned one of my Facebook friends (Teddy Bowles) also from WV now living in East NC lost a nephew in this mining accident this week. Underground work is dangerous stuff but that Massey mine has had its problems, mostly on ventilation and escape routes.
              Still its such a big loss of human lives, pray for the families.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_mine_explosion

Comment

Get breaking news and the latest headlines on business, entertainment, politics, world news, tech, sports, videos and much more from AOL
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

ODD. I reported about this on here a couple of days ago. :-\

Anyway, they've identified some of the deceased...

Montcoal, W.Va. AP -- The 25 people killed by a huge explosion in an underground coal mine owned by Massey Energy Company in West Virginia -- the worst U.S. mining disaster since 1984 -- included two fathers who loved to go hunting and a 30-year mining veteran who was just weeks away from retirement. Here is a look at some of the victims.

------

Carl Acord

Carl Acord shared a big Easter dinner with family on Sunday and doted on his infant grandsons, 9-month-old Chase and 3-month-old Cameron, said his sister Sherry Cline.

"He was looking forward to riding them around on the tractor this summer," Cline said. "He kept talking about that at Easter dinner."

Acord also enjoyed fishing with his two sons, 24-year-old Cody and 19-year-old Casey.

Even though he was about 6 feet tall, everyone called Acord "Pee Wee" -- which he hated.

"That was his nickname since he was a little tyke. It just stuck," Cline said.

Acord, 52, had worked in mines for 34 years and liked the work, Cline said. But he told his family on Sunday that he was concerned about the mine's roof and worried about going to work Monday.

--------

Jason Atkins

Jason Atkins was born and raised in Boone County, near the coal mine where he lost his life, said his father-in-law, Rick Withers.

The 25-year-old miner and his 28-year-old wife, Amanda met when they were students at West Virginia Tech and got married in 2008, Withers said. Amanda Atkins could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Withers said he was not sure when Atkins began working at the mine.

"He was an hourly guy," Withers said.

Atkins played second base on his high school and college baseball teams, but left West Virginia Tech without graduating, Withers said. He enjoyed playing golf.

The state medical examiner's office said Tuesday that Atkins was among the dead.

--------

Timmy Davis Sr.

Timmy Davis Sr. loved coal mining -- and when he wasn't doing that, he was out hunting and fishing.

"My dad was the best hunter and fisher you've ever seen. The biggest buck or bear would come to him so he could shoot them," said Timmy Davis Junior. "He's got five or six in here. He's killed a lot of big deer."

The elder Davis' wife of 30 years, Diana, said he and two nephews -- 27-year-old Josh Napper and 20-year-old Cory Davis -- were killed in the blast. Davis Junior said his uncle Tommy Davis and brother Cody Davis also were at the mine at the time and survived the blast.

Davis Junior says Cody Davis and his father were best friends. He says Cody Davis was in his way in at the time of the blast.

"He loved to work underground," the younger Davis said of his father, who was from Cabin Creek, West Virginia. "He loved that place."

------

Steve Harrah

Steve Harrah was "always thoughtful and would give you a hand," his father-in-law said.

The 40-year-old enjoyed hunting deer in Pocahontas County, said father-in-law Jack Bowden Junior, who also is director of the Raleigh County Emergency Operating Center. Harrah lived in Cool Ridge, West Virginia, with his 6-year-old son, Zach, and wife of 10 years, Tammy.

"They went to the same high school, and they just knew each other and started dating," said Bowden, who choked up as he spoke. "It's pretty rough."

Harrah was leaving the mine when the explosion happened. The mining company told the family that Harrah was killed instantly, Bowden said.

------

Gary Quarles

Gary Quarles' life was consumed by his wife and two children.

The 33-year-old from Naoma, West Virginia, took trips every summer to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, with the kids, ages 9 and 11, as well as his wife. The family often went fishing along the New River there.

"He liked to hunt and spend time with his kids," Janice Quarles said. "That was about it. That's all he did."

He liked to hunt everything from raccoons and deer to wild boar, and he had wanted to stay home from work Monday because his children were still on Easter break, she said.

Janice Quarles said her husband was a quiet, laid-back man nicknamed "Spanky." She was told of his death by a Massey official.

Gary Quarles started coal mining when he was 18. He was among those finishing a 10.5-hour shift when the explosion happened, his wife said.

------

Deward Scott

Deward Scott met his wife, Crissie, when she was his karate student. The pair loved to go hunting together -- Deward Scott taught her to bow hunt when they first met nearly 20 years ago, she said.

They've been together ever since -- usually enjoying the outdoors while hiking, hunting, fishing or gardening. The 58-year-old Montcoal resident had been a miner for 21 years and loved his job. But he also was kind and outgoing, Crissie Scott said.

"He was a Christian man who loved to help people," Crissie Scott said, her voice choking. "He's one of those people that once you met him, you wouldn't forget him."

The company notified Crissie Scott that her husband was among the miners killed in Monday's explosion.

------

Benny R. Willingham

For Benny Willingham, retirement was just five weeks away.

The 62-year-old from Corinne, West Virginia, had been a coal miner for 30 years and spent the last 17 working for Massey, said his sister-in-law, Sheila Prillaman. Willingham and his wife were supposed to go on a cruise next month to the Virgin Islands.

"Benny was the type -- he probably wouldn't have stayed retired long," Prillaman said. "He wasn't much of a homebody."

Out of those identified, I think I knew Mr. Willingham. If it's the same person I'm thinking of, his brother was my algebra teacher in high school. Great guy that lived for his family. Quite a few (to include Mr. Willingham) from the area I grew up at went to work at the Upper Branch mine when all the local mines shut down. Let's keep praying for the remaining four.

Comment

I spent a few days in a bootleg hole that my ex-girlfriends dad worked. tough work , but everybody knew the risk. The Dirt cops have made it so tough that there are not any independent mines left here in Pa. This is not saying there isnt problems in the mining ind.
                    Rest in peace .
                    Reading , Pa
                    Good Guys rodders rep.
                    "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                    X