Trailering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailering

Trailering a car for the first time tomorrow. Anyone have any tips to offer as far as securing the car? Rental trailer comes with webs for the front tires and a couple of chains that are supposed to looped loosely around the frame. Wouldnt it be a better idea to cinch down the frame to the trailer loading the suspension a little. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: Trailering

Cross the rear chains so they pull against the opposite side, make them tight so the car doesn't move around on the trailer. You'll need to pull them from the front, then secure the front wheels/tires.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Where would you secure them to the car, rear frame rails? I have a couple of load binders I could use.

Comment

don't load the suspension ..... connect to the axle, and the unsprung portion of the front lower control arms (key being unsprung).... if you connect and "slightly" preload the suspension the car will dance off the trailer.... and really, I know this one the bad way... if you don't spring it, the "worst" that could happen is the car could get enough momentum to jump the trailer - a far out possibility.... however, if you preload the springs the car will compress, loosen the chains, pop a chain binder and take leave of the trailer.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I never thought of that. Sounds right though.
          All right so around the axle tube in the rear or maybe the lower control arm, and the tire webs in the front should do it. And use the front tires webs to pull the chains in the rear tight?

Comment

uh....read the directions?

Find a pickup truck rental at U-Haul for as low as $19.95, plus mileage. Use a pickup truck for diy projects, moving items in town or as a replacement vehicle.

has the instructions for the uhaul rental car trailer. Other companies might also.

I haven't spent the $$$ yet to get some strap tiedowns for mine, so I use chains and binders...chain the rear axle housing to the back of the trailer, and the front control arms to the front of the trailer. But find out the right way to do it for the trailer you're using

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The directions say to strap down the front tires and loosely drape the provided chains in the front and one in the rear over the frame. I just wanted to see if anyone has any other advice for me. Thanks all for the help. Pics to follow.

Comment

Drive slow. Since its your virgin trip, pull over every couple minutes for the first little while to check on things.
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Hey Cadman, listen to the majority. They are correct.
                  Yes, you do want the suspension to move.
                  Yes, you do want to use the tire nets to secure the front.
                  And yes, you do want to secure the back by strapping (or in your case chaining) the rear axle to the trailer and criss-crossing the straps.
                  Criss-crossing triangulates the attachment preventing any side to side movement.
                  sigpicJohn Castelli
                  www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

Thanks, and believe me I am listening. Lots of good advice. I've done plenty of trailering just never a car trailer. It'll likely take a couple of miles before I stop staring at it in the mirror. The U-haul unit seems sturdy enough if a little short, so it should go well. Hopefully I will have good news pics to post tomorrow night.
                    Thanks again
                    Pete

Comment

Originally posted by cadman
                      Where would you secure them to the car, rear frame rails? I have a couple of load binders I could use.
                      Yea what everyone else said.....I'm cheap too, I use chains on the rear axle. I wrap them around and hook them back to themselves. I use the front factory frame holes for my front ratchet straps and only slightly compress the front springs...maybe not the best, but it's only a 15 minute ride to the track.
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                      X