fuel pump melting time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump melting time

ALEXANDRIA, Va.- This summer, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will decide on whether to allow a 50% increase in the amount of ethanol in the nation's gasoline supply, from the current E10 (or containing 10% ethanol) up to E15 (containing 15% ethanol). However, with testing data on the new "mid-level" ethanol formulation to be completed on only a small group of 2001 and newer model vehicles by this time frame, consumers with older cars, boats, non-road vehicles or gas-engine powered equipment may find that the fuel is not compatible or safe for use.

Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatU.S.), the nation's largest boat owners group, is concerned. "Some of our members have advised us of performance, compatibility and possible safety issues with the current E10 blend," said BoatU.S. Vice President of Government Affairs Margaret Podlich. "To add 50% more ethanol to every gallon of gas without first knowing what it will do to the older vehicles and other gasoline engines we currently own, is simply irresponsible," she added.

The U.S. Coast Guard Office of Boating Safety has also raised concerns about higher levels of ethanol and the lack of independent testing. Ethanol, a strong solvent, can accelerate the deterioration of fuel system components such as fuel lines, causing them to fail and increasing the level of risk for fire or explosions.

Re: fuel pump melting time

The EPA would be happy to see all of the older cars burn up ... another attempt to get more people into a new car and boost sales for the gov't owned car manufacturers....
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

and don't forget the farm lobby who would be selling more corn ....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I was convinced maine had 50% crap already in the fuel.. I even followed some rules to change some rubber lines to titanium (ski poles are good for that)

I guess now the high compression spare engine is going to have to be put to use eventually...

the old 9 to 1s hate it without a small boost.

total shame. >

if procharger gave a 99% discount, I would mortgage a supercharger on a 35 year palyment plan. ;D
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

you bring forth a problem......then also bring forth a solution.

Hmmmm. well?

Whatta ya gonna do about these kinds of irrational 'laws'? eh?

guess we should all just park our cars an look at 'em. since most folks won't/don't want to do anything about this type of crap. 'cept complain.

:-\
          Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

The switch to E85 is already in the plans for me....it's just not very readily available in my parts yet.....

Comment

Guess the food shortage will only get worse.
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

the e85 is nowhere near the NJ , even though every tahoe for the last ten years is e85 ready

Comment

Gee guys, you will believe anything.

Right now this is running E50 on a stock tune with no changes and it has been for two years now. I put 6 gallons of E85 in and 5 gallons of 87, keep in mind the LS1 requires a minimum of 91 octane. It doesnt like much more than E60 unless I stay out of the throttle, because at the stock fuel pressure the injectors run into duty cycle at WOT.

This has a Qjet with a stock fuel system except for the carter electric pump that it needed to feed the 455 even when it was running gas. It has been running E85 only for three years now. I opened up the Qjet so it would run ethanol, its a tad rich on E85 but should be close on HE100 I make.

This one runs quite well on E85 with the stock tune, and it makes more power. It runs like crap on gas because the little 5.0 in it sucks for power. It has dual tanks on it, and I mix one and run the other with only E85. It did clean out the tank, gasoline leaves a shitload of garbage and varnish in a tank, so it needed a fuel filter after the first round of mixing, just fine and dandy now. Been on E85 for two years.

This one is getting a 13:1 455 later this year, it will run a Qjet at first then it will get one of the new TBI setups, maybe a self learning one, maybe a Holley system. The fuel system rusted out of it so it needs some lines. Mild steel lines work just fine with ethanol.

My father in law's boats have stainless steel tanks, and the boat tanks that had a problem with ethanol were built from fiberglass with a cheap resin that isnt in production anymore, and besides less than 1% of all boats had those crap tanks. My father in law could run freakin methanol in his boats if he wanted to, but that would require some different seals, where ethanol really doesnt. He has run oxygenated gas in his boats for a while now, that is 10% and so far they havent exploded or died. These are 30ft charter boats on Superior.

So you think we will starve is we make ethanol with our corn? Or that food prices will go up across the board because of it? How does corn affect carrots, lettuce, or any number of other things including bread? 60% of our corn goes to feed cattle, chicken, and hogs, and the starch is pretty much just passed through these critters. It just so happens that when we ferment corn we are only using the starch to make ethanol, the protein, fats, and other good stuff that them critter can digest remains. That stuff is called Distillers Dried Grains and we EXPORT that to countries such as China, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, Yemen, and others to feed their livestock. What the hell else are we exporting to oil countries other than hard earned cash and scrap metal to China?

Just an interesting thing about DDG, cattle put on meat 17% faster when they eat it than they do eating corn, and they crap a lot less because there isnt as much not digested and thus wasted. For every 56lb bushel of corn we get roughly 2.6 gallons of ethanol and about 30lbs of DDG. I guess if you are concerned about high fructose corn syrup running out then making more than 50% of our corn into ethanol before feeding it cattle might be a problem since that uses the starch that the yeast eat. DDG is much better for cattle than soymeal and much less expensive to grow and process, plus we get fuel out of it.

We can get around 500 gallons of ethanol per acre of corn, and the yields are going up per acre due to advancements with corn so it isnt like we have a shortage of the stuff, besides the last two years we made record gallons of ethanol, still fed all our cattle, exported and gave away billions of bushels and we still had almost two billion bushels of corn just laying around. We didnt even have that many acres planted to corn those years, but we are going to run out and starve because we use field corn to make fuel..

Field corn is more of an industrial crop, people rarely eat it like corn on the cob, you wouldnt like it much if you did. The stuff you get at the store is sweet corn and it is quite different and grown on much smaller farms. Like I mentioned earlier, we feed it to cattle. Did you know people can eat the DDG too? Did you also know it is quite good for you?

Remember when food prices went up? Hey wasnt that the year we had $4 gas and almost $5 diesel? Gee I wonder how stuff gets around and what is used to move it... Hhmm perhaps it is diesel, you know trucks, trains, etc. You think multiple transports with a truck or trains would have an effect on what a supermarket wants for stuff? Like if the fuel cost DOUBLED would that not affect the price of things more than a 2 cent increase in the corn that is actually in the product? My bud that is an assistant manager in a grocery store said they were having fuel surcharges on everything in the store, yet somehow ethanol was blamed for the fuel surcharges and high cost of transporting goods. I wonder why someone would say that....

The thing is we make ethanol right here. It employs people right here. It creates revenue that stays right here. Nebraska and other ag states have lower unemployment than non ag states, I wonder why that would be? Minnesota has a few million in tax revenue every year that they would not have had if they didnt have ethanol produced right there. The money that goes to the ethanol companies stays here in the USA, the oil company buys its oil from the persian gulf and other countries. Know anyone who has lost a job due to the crappy economy? Ya think it might have something to do with how much we send to the Gulf every freakin day? So how does anyone plan to create jobs and wealth if we dont make things here? It makes no sense to send everything we make off to countries that end up funding people who fly into buildings.

Hell I havent even started on how much better ethanol is for your engine than gasoline is! Not just ludicrous power but longevity. After 500,000 miles on neat ethanol you cant find a ring ridge and you can still see the cross hatch in the cylinders. There is no black carbon on everything and thus no gritty crap floating around in the oil. Oil changes can be performed at 8,000-10,000 miles and the oil looks clean. The only reason you have to change it is because of thermal breakdown. It comes out as clear as the day you put it in.

But sure, ethanol is evil and crap. Go ahead and keep thinking that and if you are in the UP sometime, stop in and you can drive something that runs it. Hell you can see how I make it from WEEDS! Yes weeds, cattails make more fuel per acre than corn does. Hell we just use corn because we have so damn much of it. By all means send your hard earned $$$ to the Arabs, the ones I know are pretty cool people and they need jobs and income too. Just remember who you are paying the next time you complain about the guy down the street on unemployment and how bad our economy blows. I'll keep making my own race fuel for about $.40 a gallon and laugh at you guys running slower and wearing engines out.

Comment

Almost forgot, this one is going ethanol this summer too, but it needs an entire fuel system upgrade to hang with the 700hp Pontiac in it, 3/8 line just wont cut it.

Comment

already 15% out here...truck only gets 10mpg here...if I go to another state that doesnt run the crap I get 15...go figure...

I have considered using E85 in the plymouth...should be an easy conversion...prices are about the same as premium
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Thumper ya put forth a good argument and from what I can conclude, sound reasoning. I'm interested in joining in on this fuel brewing and would like to see your operation. And at 40 cents a gallon I'm way tired of these pit traders driving up the price of petroleum. You know there is more profit to be made in an up market.
                        By the way I wouldn't call myself a Pontiac guy, but you have cool cars too.

Comment

I get on the average of 4 marine fuel pumps per week to rebuild due to the diaphragms deteriorating. Any fuel pump made before the mid 70's is subject to the same thing.

Comment

food riots - excessive cleaners in the fuel tank - ooph! too much to bear

Comment

I'm all for E85....It's just not readily available around here, and the one station that actually has it that's within an hours drive is super inconsistent as far as the ethanol content. There are a few guys that buy it by the drum from a supplier so they get a consistent blend, but storage/transport/etc is pretty time consuming.

If the EPA wants us to embrace and use this new fuel, they need to give some incentive (set standards for the blend, make it more available) so we can all jump on the band wagon. I'm all for less pollution and being able to pull into any gas station to fill up....

Comment

Working...
                              X