Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPAM Alert

Hey all,

I've gotten a couple emails this morning from folks saying they have gotten a spam message and the spammers claimed they got their info from BangShift.com. We do not share our email list, and believe that our mass email server may have been hacked. Not sure yet, but we are working on it and want you to know that we are.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and will let you know as we find out more.

Thanks,
    Chad and Brian
    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Re: SPAM Alert

go looking at the google ad's thats how they get in..
    the team sites had this happen too. a few months ago..
    right after the google ad's

Comment

Or they very well may have looked at members profiles and got their email from there.

Comment

Fried SPAM is good, So are fried SPAMMERS. I say let's fry the lot of 'em.

Dan

Comment

I didn't think about the google ads, but they didn't get in via our email program. I just got off the phone with them, and the account is clear and secure.

So, that leaves Google ads or our Facebook page I guess. We're still working on it.
          "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Chad there is a good chance they just looked at members profiles, neither Randal or I got the email and we keep our emails "hidden".

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
              Chad there is a good chance they just looked at members profiles, neither Randal or I got the email and we keep our emails "hidden".
              my email shows up and i didnt get one ???

Comment

no worries chad - there are so many ways to get spam that if BS was the hole or not doesn't matter a bit....
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My e-mail isn't hidden*. And that is a ton of work to go profile by profile.

*After reading Malc's comment, it's not that I know of...
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Hi all,
                    i got one of the emails, there not getting any money out of me...
                    Thanks Marty

Comment

Just checked my spam folder. Yup. Got one, too. It was bound to happen, we are getting big enough now to start drawing attention from scammers and spammers. Hmmm, think this might be the Valkyrie guys paying us back? :D
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by tedly
                        Just checked my spam folder. Yup. Got one, too. It was bound to happen, we are getting big enough now to start drawing attention from scammers and spammers. Hmmm, think this might be the Valkyrie guys paying us back? :D
                        I dunno, but they sure are due a payback run of some kind if tomfoolery is their thing at all.

I've got my email addy posted on every index page of my site, so there it is. Wide open. And the hotmail filter catches it, tons of it. "Urgent Reply Reqared Imadately" from Ramswar Habatchiacn, etc. It doesn't bother me.

I've got a question - a real question for those of you in the know. When you click and categorize a spam message as a phishing attempt, it disappears but where does it GO? Is it sent to the phishing police? Is anybody trying to do anything about it, or does it just maybe block their next message from the same email address? I've always wondered...
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Sooo, that cute little college girl from Saudi Arabia, who's father died leaving 6.5 million in a USA bank that she needs my help is a hoax???? Now you tell me :'(
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                            My e-mail isn't hidden*. And that is a ton of work to go profile by profile.

*After reading Malc's comment, it's not that I know of...
                            When I click on your name to see your profile it says your email is hidden. Here, look.
                            [Add To Buddy List]
                            Name: TheSilverBuick
                            Position: Hero Member
                            Date Registered: November 01, 2007, 08:08:05 AM
                            Last Active: Today at 02:55:39 PM
                            MSN:
                            YIM:
                            Email: hidden
                            Current Status: Offline Offline
                            Join Mailing List: Join E-Mail List
                            My Cars: '77 Skylark(455/TKO-600), '72 Centurion(455/TH400), '67 Thunderbird(428/C6), need to replace a '69 Firebird 400
                            Car Mods: Skylark's got a 455/TKO-600 Transplant, '67 T-bird with a TBI.

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something big entirely. So the spam message has a reference to Bangshift, and y'all think you have your email addys blocked? Is that it? Remember, I can't follow the plot to Gilligan's Island for a whole 30 minutes.

Seriously, I really can't - it's too complicated.

Spam to me is a daily thing with the website. Always. Every day. Doesn't hurt a thing. Where it comes from to me is not relevant. My addy is on a billboard. Spam's harmless until you open it. Or worse yet, open an attachment.

So...okay, I think I'm getting it. I'm slow...a reference to BangShift and your email is not posted on Bangshift. Hmmm sounds like an inside job. Some serious hacking. James Bond. I think I'm getting it. This is too complicated.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X