Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bondo/Rust Bucket Special: $2500 '69 Belvedere

I just spotted this on my local online classifieds:

'69 Belvedere that has been allegedly sitting for 10 years in a barn. The car had paint/bodywork done prior to being stored, hence it looks good from the outside. I just spoke to the seller and he said it definitely needs floors and frame replacement.

At $2500 for a potentially rusted out '69 Belvedere, is it worth checking out? I'm not up to speed on Mopar pricing, so I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I also spotted this "1924 old car" that by judging from the solid steel wheels, used to run on railroad tracks. This is way more of project that I'm looking for but the rail wheels definitely add to the Ooga-Booga factor :P

Re: Bondo/Rust Bucket Special: $2500 '69 Belvedere

rusted out is relative..I would go look at it..but something inside me smells scam.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2
      rusted out is relative..I would go look at it..but something inside me smells scam.
      That's quite true. I restored a truly rusted out '71 Monte Carlo, except that was a $500 car a few years back. I'm also with you on being suspicious, usually Mopar equals $$$$... even when there's not much car left. hmmmm

Comment

I have seen cars that were nothing but shells sell for 2500...all the metal for this car is readily availible...might be worth the time...could be one of those once in a life times.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm slowly convincing myself to go see it this weekend. I just spoke to the seller and the car's only been listed for 1 day now. Within the last month, on every other deal I've acted on, sometimes within a few hours of it being posted, I always seem to miss out. Although I'm in the middle of final exam period at university, I'm trying to rationalize reserving an hour or two to go see it.... dammit, I think I'm going to call him back to set a meeting :P

Comment

Patience, dont buy on emotions of missing out. could be good ,could be bad, I have a friend that has a cuda for sale for the same price in North Carolina.

Comment

If I had room, less projects and most of all, the extra money, here's one I'd go for, real close to me

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1654115600.html

Comment

cheese box = perfect sox and martin body style
                worth a look

Comment

Originally posted by RealSteelFreak
                  Patience, dont buy on emotions of missing out. could be good ,could be bad, I have a friend that has a cuda for sale for the same price in North Carolina.
                  Words of wisdom, like most of us on here, I get easily caught up in potential projects even when just perusing classified ads. I'm going to get one of my buddies to go with me to have a second opinion / "dude, wtf are you doing?" lol

... well couldn't reach the seller this time, sent an email and voicemail. We'll see what happens, if I can check it out I'll grab some pics.

Originally posted by sedandelivery55
                  If I had room, less projects and most of all, the extra money, here's one I'd go for, real close to me

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/1654115600.html
                  Wow, looks real clean - just surface rust. I hear ya on not having the extra funds, I'm a university student and work part time just to keep me out of the hole, lol. I spend lots of time kicking myself about missing out on deals or not being able to afford, well, anything, lol. The time will come for us both and we'll be building bitchin' stuff, just gotta tough it out. ;D

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  cheese box = perfect sox and martin body style
                  worth a look
                  Oh dear, you're a sick man :D .... just thinking about pro-stock makes my pants get tighter :o Yeah, guys I know, I need to work on the girlfriend situation - engineering degree means no girls and no time, cars are all we've got, lmao :P

Comment

look at the big picture then

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      look at the big picture then
                      Indeed, but now thanks to you thoughts of a bangin' gears in a Pro Stock Belvy are running through my head :P.

I appreciate all the input and advice guys. It means a lot to me to be able to drop something like this on here and receive your thoughts (not to mention, so quickly!)

I'll keep you all posted, hopefully I can check it out and make an honest assessment.

Comment

I don't know if I'd touch that one. A 1969 Belvedere may share a body shell with a Road Runner or a GTX, but it will never be worth what one of those would. One that needs floors and frame rails sounds like a money pit, and I'd be worried that under that paint job is shoddy bodywork that is more bondo, newspaper, and fiberglass than steel (I'm speaking from experience: 1970 Road Runner). Plus, it looks like the engine is smoking badly in the pics. If it was a '69 1/2 440 6-bbl Road Runner for $2500 - good deal, '69 Belvedere - pass.

Comment

if the locale gets snow, and you mention rust.. it is never a big money car.
                          I say the ad is right on.. and the car did "smoke em" in a photo, without twisting a hanger out of the old framing...? unless that is engine.. who knows..

that says enough for me.. and it sits up too.. proving it has toughened like its age.

Take it from me, the guy who drive the triple broken framed malibu.. all while it had a nice wax job... :

if he had from brand new paperwork going way back, all records, he could quadruple the price the way it sits.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It never hurts to give it a look....................you just never know it might be a great deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver68RT
                              I don't know if I'd touch that one. A 1969 Belvedere may share a body shell with a Road Runner or a GTX, but it will never be worth what one of those would. One that needs floors and frame rails sounds like a money pit, and I'd be worried that under that paint job is shoddy bodywork that is more bondo, newspaper, and fiberglass than steel (I'm speaking from experience: 1970 Road Runner). Plus, it looks like the engine is smoking badly in the pics. If it was a '69 1/2 440 6-bbl Road Runner for $2500 - good deal, '69 Belvedere - pass.
                              Yessir, all those things have crossed my mind - especially about the previous bondo err, bodywork. Growing up in a body shop I've witnessed all kinds of shoddy work roll in and the untold hours spent to correct everything. To me it looks like they were doing a burnout in the picture, but I wouldn't be surprised if the motor was smoking - apparently it's a 318.

boxer3main, yep, I live in rust country - Montreal, Qubec. With all the salt and gnarly winters, you'll see people with 5 year old cars rusting to pieces when they haven't gotten a good rustproofing job done.

Among the issues brought up by you all, I stumbled across an old ad for the car on another website in Google's cache. It seems like the car's been for sale for a couple months but no takers. I think I'll still go check it out for kicks but I'll be armed with my refrigerator magnet, screwdriver (for poking through the floor if it still exists, lol) and a buddy for a second opinion.

I'm waiting on a reply, but I won't hold my breath given what's been discussed here and the fact that I've learned that no one has bought this thing if it was truly a screaming deal.

[Note to self: It's good to talk things over with you rational folks instead of the usual voices my head :P]

Comment

Working...
                              X