How much of a hit would you be willing to take on a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much of a hit would you be willing to take on a car

I am kicking around the idea of unloading the Fury, it has been sitting since November...and the wife and I are talking about looking at houses again...I figure I paid 3K for the car, I have about an additional 900 in it...The extra money would be nice to add to any down payment/closing costs and such...but I dont really need to sell...I dont know if I would be too upset if the car went away...I could focus on rebuilding my truck, or maybe saving for something more solid and suited to my automotive restoration skill level....or just enjoy owning my own home and making some improvements...I dont know...I guess I may be thinking out loud again....

Thoughts...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Re: How much of a hit would you be willing to take on a car

Joe, I think this is the wrong time to sell a project car. Two months ago I tried to sell one of my Montegos on craigslist. The only bites I got were two guys who wanted it for parts for their Cyclone projects and the highest offer I got was $1100 bucks. Unless you really need to unload it I'd hang on to it for now.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your house search.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Just like with everything it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Comment

I've lost my ass on a couple of cars, but I was done with those cars. My level of fulfillment had been reached (or level of frustration) At that stage I was willing to lose more because I could depreciate things..... i.e. I've owned it for a couple of years, I've used it hard, I didn't put much money into it......

If you have had your fun and are done with this particular car, unload it for what you can and start looking for something else to do with that money.

Here's the kicker, don't sell this one and step into something worse. At this stage in the game you kind of know what you've got. And once you've had a project car.....the urge to get another one is hard to stop. If you've got great self control to wait for the right deal and you're not happy with what you've got, it might be the right time to make a change.

Do you have an idea what its worth to you?
        I usually end up eating the money/labor I put into the car because that money and time just brought the car up to the standards I expected when I first bought it!
        Its frustrating to watch someone else jump into a car that you've straightened out into an OK driver for the same price as you bought it with problems......

Its your call, you make the rules on this deal.

Comment

NOT FER NOTHING
          but if your thinking of buy'n a house, wouldn't you get more for the truck?
          and drive the car,, use the money from the truck for the house, then buy a better truck after the house..
          everyone at one time or another is looking to buy a truck..
          a 60's fury, not so much..
          I'd get it running, get the bugs out of it, so you don't fear beaking down, and slap a sign on the truck..
          get the house, then look for a truck for your d/d as that tank of a truck will not fly as the bills that come with a house start coming in, you'll be looking at a truck that sips gas..
          thats my two pennies

Comment

the truck is far more reliable and safe than the car would ever dream to be. I cant haul the kids around in the Fury everyday...just not the right thing to do,no heat, no AC...no seatbelts. It is a mess...however, if I get a house with a big enough garage I can actually start to work on it...

I think I would be willing to seel for 2800...not a dime less...it runs too well...its worth that in parts.

If i got rid of it and moved on...I learned way to much from this car to ever get something this rough again..i now know just how difficult it is to replace body panels...and paint...the engine stuff...pretty straight forward.
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm a big believer in "it's just a car" philosophy. I sold 2 67 Camaros (just before the market exploded) to go to law school - I'm not sorry at all. I couldn't sell the Buick or the Studebaker.... so I kept them and they're my mainstays now. Now, I'd never own another Camaro of that vintage because I've found that the less popular cars give me far more enjoyment without the asses.

A house you will enjoy for years, and eventually own - thus saving you from paying rent... not to mention you'll have locked in your housing costs (rent always increases)....

That said, don't give the car away just to show that you're committed to buying a house.... figure out ways to save money rather then sell assets at painful losses. Nice thing about your car, you're at the point where you could spend a great deal of time - not money - making it prestine so you get your car fix for cheap.....

my 2 cents good luck
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You make your profit or lose your ass when you buy the car. You realize your profit or suffer your loss when you sell it.

When you buy right, you can sell right. When you pay too much or buy junk that no one else wants, you lose.

Now, the bad economy is a factor, it is harder to sell. But still the car is worth what ever someone will give you. What you have invested is of no significance at all, in good times or bad. If it is now worth less than you have in it, you already lost the money. Hanging on to it holds little hope that you will ever recover your loss.

It sounds like you have lost interest in it, and would prefer to put the $ into a house or something more solid. So I would say sell it. Yes, the market is down now, but you don't have to sell it to the 1st low ball offer that comes along. Advertise it alot, hold out for a fair offer.
                Good luck!

Comment

You can always let the market answer your question.

You'll take $2800 without crying about the pain - so - why not start asking something like $3950 and see what happens.

You can run ebay classified adds for free, craigslist is free.

If you get no interest at all - or - only offers in the basement.... then perhaps it's best to hold onto it - buy a house with a large garage and start doing some work on it in ernest --- but - ------ don't plan on having much time to work on the car for probably the first year of having the house. Even if you buy a brand new house - you'll have plenty of projects to keep you busy.

I would encourage you to take advantage of today's housing market by buying low, enjoying the home buyers tax credit, etc.

Every person I know that buys now while prices are low - it makes me feel a bit better about having my azzzz handed to me every month as I pay on a mortgage that is at least 100k more than I could get for the house right now....

Be choosey - it's a buyer's market - get what you want where you want it - and if you're not embarrassed - you're offering too much!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

dump it
                    gut it , sounds a little too far gone

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY2

I think I would be willing to seel for 2800...not a dime less...it runs too well...its worth that in parts.

If i got rid of it and moved on...I learned way to much from this car to ever get something this rough again..i now know just how difficult it is to replace body panels...and paint...the engine stuff...pretty straight forward.
                      Joe, 2800 is what I paid for my 66 Fury 2 years ago, and just like yours there was lots of body work to do... You do know what you got! and its not a "Me Too" car like you see everywhere.... If you do decide to sell it after Power Tour... Let me know.... I got a soft heart for Fury's...... or is that a soft head? LOL Ed

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                      1966 Plymouth Fury III
                      2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                      Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                      Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
                        Just like with everything it's only worth what someone will pay for it.
                        and now is a bad time.. been that way for a couple of years local.

the chvevelle still drivable, 283, much less than 100k miles... at $1300
                        a custom dual range subaru with an ea81 (aviators engine), 4 extinct unbreakable 4x140 alloys $800.. and yes a young punk got it for 20th bday..
                        an m1009 military truck... $1500.. custom paint job included, heavy bumper with winch (all miltary)
                        a 1986 turbo xt subaru 37k miles... $2000, fix a gas line, drive it home...

all of this less than 5k.. and all of it to gain in the future... oh...my...god... :
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

As much as I love 60s mopars only a few bring big bucks.If you sale it you wont find another one.
                          I have had my s10 for sale and most people are broker than me.(2500) the parts will cost more than that.
                          If you are ready to let it go then sale it and dont look back.Just my 2 cents worth.
                          terry

Comment

This is a tough one. If you don't have any real attachment to the car and if moving would be better for the whole family, then I wouldn't object. However, if your goal was to hang on to the car for the long haul then that's where things get tricky. My dad flipped cars often and my parents had their '71 Mach 1 up for sale when they were buying our first home. The car ended being vandalized while sitting in a friend's used car lot and my parents took the insurance value ($7-8k in 1991) - my dad didn't bother to buy it back. He only ended up getting another Mach 1 in 1999.

I'm on the other side of this issue much like Buickguy was: I'm doing whatever's necessary to keep myself afloat in university. While I haven't sold any cars for profit, I also have restricted myself from investing in anything other than essentials, let alone a project car [wrenching withdrawal can get pretty gnarly sometimes, as I'm sure some of you know]. And yes, I know I've got a thread going about buying a '69 Belvedere but if it's too risky in my situation or simply out of budget, I'll just have to walk away - as usual, lol. Anyways, tough times come and go

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            dump it
                            gut it , sounds a little too far gone
                            lmao! Spidey, is this a common response for you regarding any question related to buying or selling a car? :P Just razzing you because you posted the same thing in my thread.

Comment

Originally posted by 66Fury3
                              Originally posted by JOES66FURY2

Joe, 2800 is what I paid for my 66 Fury 2 years ago, and just like yours there was lots of body work to do... You do know what you got! and its not a "Me Too" car like you see everywhere.... If you do decide to sell it after Power Tour... Let me know.... I got a soft heart for Fury's...... or is that a soft head? LOL Ed
                              I payed 3 for mine, after new tank, pick up, exhaust, headers, intake, carb, tie rods and some othe misc do-dads and what nots it runs like a beast..I tell you what...if I sell it...i will let you know and cut you a deal...cuz I would rather take a hit selling it to someone like you then to let it go to someone who is going to cut it up or let it sit...

Comment

Working...
                              X