OK tractor guys....Ford 8N question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK tractor guys....Ford 8N question.

The owners of the house we just bought have a Ford 8N tractor. This piece of property is 3.5 acres. We already bought a 42" Craftsman lawn tractor for cutting the main yard but there's quite a bit of rougher areas where I think little Craftsman won't cut it figuratively and literally. The tractor also has a cutting bar attachment that he put on the tractor to cut the rougher areas.

I think he said it was a '52. It looks to be in pretty decent shape and runs well. Been converted to 12 volts with a GM alt with some funky wiring. Has about 2300 hours of running time and the hour meter does work. He wants $3K. At first I was thinking it was a little high but looking in the local paper, seems to be about the going price. Opinions? Thanks.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Re: OK tractor guys....Ford 8N question.

8N's will run forever....I believe 3K is fair especially if it operates well..
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

8n's are really popular with restorers.... the question is... does it have a Power Take off??? ( I can't remember...)

Oh and will it do what you want to do with it?

K

Comment

My cousin just bought another Massy Ferguson. He paid $3750. It came with a front loader.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
          8n's are really popular with restorers.... the question is... does it have a Power Take off??? ( I can't remember...)

Oh and will it do what you want to do with it?

K
          Yes it does have a PTO. Well, thinking it may come in handy to keep the rougher part of the property trimmed up. He has the grass cutting bar attachment (looks like a giant hedge trimmer).
          Tom
          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

That's called a sickle bar mower - usually used to cut hay as it'll leave the stalks in tact so you can bale the stuff. They work great but you'll need to change a tooth occasionally (the actual cutter is that triangle-shaped piece on the moving bar that driven by the PTO) as they break if they try to cut a rock. Not too hard to do but you just need to be aware. Not if you had a rake and a bailer you'd be all set.

The above info is the result of spending too much time around horses and the attendant culture.

Dan

Comment

Jeremy in NY redid an 8n but I'll be darned if I can find the thread pics or remember his screen name.
              He had posted pics of his boy driving it in the snow....... I'd start looking for a "brushhog" for mowing the rough stuff - you'll tear up that lawn tractor in no time out in the "rough".
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10
                Jeremy in NY redid an 8n but I'll be darned if I can find the thread pics or remember his screen name.
                He had posted pics of his boy driving it in the snow....... I'd start looking for a "brushhog" for mowing the rough stuff - you'll tear up that lawn tractor in no time out in the "rough".
                mustang13 is Jeremy's screen name
                and here's the thread - but most of the pics are gone -

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Around here 8n's aren't bringing that much money. They're pretty basic tractors. Here's an example of one in nice shape with a blade for $2K.

Interesting thing about the Ford 8N is that they used a Ferguson 3 point hitch. May be the best thing about the tractor

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/grd/1699058637.html shows you (if you really want a Ford) which for $3500 gets you a newer tractor with POWER STEERING and a brush hog.

Bottom line is that $3K seems way to high for an 8n and a sickle to me. I know is sounds stupid, but if you're using the tractor much power steering is REAL nice to have, and I wouldn't use a sickle for anything. 8n's are great to restore and play with but there are better options for work.

Comment

sickle bars are OK on flat ground and REALLY tall grass. They're more for cutting manicured cover crops though: alfalfa, etc.

A bush hog type mower might be better. Also, the 8N doesn't have very many speeds and can be a little bit fast for many mowers, especially bush hogging types. $3000 seems steep, they go for a lot less than that here in the midwest (unless it's super clean).
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Seems a little high to me. I really like them and they make all kinds of parts for them, so you're never stuck looking for an obscure tractor part.

Comment

you just bought his house and he wants another 3k ? pfffttt I'd offer 2k tops

btw, can you put a snow plow on those ?
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Keep in mind, those do NOT have a live PTO.

What this means, is that the mower (especially a bush hog type with lots of stored momentum) will PUSH the tractor after you have pushed in the clutch. Very unnerving to a rookie and somewhat dangerous until you get used to it. Just FYI.

I mowed our yard with a '47 CockShutt 30 & 72" Landpride finish mower for 10 years, my wife even liked running it. :o

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Wow, I'm away from the computer for a few weeks and 8N's start falling out of the sky on here LOL.

The tractor I just did was a 51, sold it for 3k, with no attactments or extras so, Tom, your right in the ballpark, but offer less anyways.

Make sure the 3pt. hitch picks strong when its warmed up, and do a compression test to make sure all four holes are the same, if both are OK, it should run for the next 50 years.

Good luck and have fun, if you chose to buy it.
                            Jeremy George in Windsor NY

Comment

Originally posted by mustang13
                              Wow, I'm away from the computer for a few weeks and 8N's start falling out of the sky on here LOL.

The tractor I just did was a 51, sold it for 3k, with no attactments or extras so, Tom, your right in the ballpark, but offer less anyways.

Make sure the 3pt. hitch picks strong when its warmed up, and do a compression test to make sure all four holes are the same, if both are OK, it should run for the next 50 years.

Good luck and have fun, if you chose to buy it.

Thanks Jeremy. It runs really well. The guy is anal about taking care of his stuff. He has a early 50's Willy flat fender in nice shape as well but he's not parting with that He's bringing it to SC for his son. He also has a really nice early 60's Honda, I think a 305CC twin in beautiful shape as well.

One reason why I'm buying it besides I think they're cool and wanted one but he was using it to maintain the property. I'd rather take a chance now and have it rather then say no thanks and find I'm screwed. I'm sure it'll make short work of the grass in the back yard (about 2 acres).
                              Tom
                              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                              X