• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Parenting

HOLY CRAP, HOW THE HELL DOES THIS.....
    I am literally speechless as to what to say
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/health-1...oling-19218933
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Re: Bad Parenting

Someday the kids will do something stupid and the parents will wonder how the hell they turned out that way.
    THEN, they will try to get help from an expert to "fix it" after the damage is done.

Happens all the time - my little brother gets called to do what the parent is too lazy or stupid to do.
    He tells them the same thing every time - "You had your chance, and blew it - there's no going back to make it all better".
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

ashame..
      it is as if parents admit before any formalities begin that they are loser'd.
      #1 ingredient for criminal outcome...no doubt about it.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

as said at the campground in mansfield , ma
        good parenting ALWAYS starts with alcohol

Comment

Incredible!!!!!!! That this is even allowed in our country. Those kids should be taken from their parents. And the sad thing is the parents have brainwashed the kids into thinking that it's all ok.

It's just sad.......

Ya I'll just pick up a book and learn Calculus today, it's no big deal if I don't know the math that leads up to it. :

Comment

Damn Hippies. Children need guidance and structure with a sprinkling of independance and free time.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

All I saw was two future welfare recipients. :
              I R Bob
              You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
              2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

As the days go by I find more and more blessings to count and more reasons to thank my family.
                Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

another plot to discredit homeschooling yuk yuk yuk

Comment

Lazy parents = Lazy kids
                    :
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Liberal conspiracy to discredit and make all home schoolers look bad. Theres got to be a exit exam from each grade in IN doesn't there?

Comment

If I was going to do this with our kids, I would just get them a small apartment and leave them alone. Then I could move into the house I wanted, rather than having one they want. LOL

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I could see this for myself, not going to school. School for me was a waste of time. Could have used that time to persue what really interested me. I'm not saying there shouldn't be guidance or rules. One has to be expected to meet objectives.
                          Looks like the newscast was a little one sided and made to look like all they do was fock off.

Comment

Originally posted by ch1ll
                            I could see this for myself, not going to school. School for me was a waste of time. Could have used that time to persue what really interested me. I'm not saying there shouldn't be guidance or rules. One has to be expected to meet objectives.
                            Looks like the newscast was a little one sided and made to look like all they do was fock off.
                            You never know if you'll like something if you don't try it

My dad was married once before he met my mom, and my dad has always loved motorcycles, she wanted nothing to do with them, after much convincing, my dad convinced her to borrow his friends helmet and go for a ride on his bike (1976 Harley), and she loved it, ended up becoming a biker chick after they got divorced

Same thing with school stuff, How do you know you won't love History, or Math, I LOOOVE History, I wouldn't know that I love history if I didn't go to school
                            Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I started to reply to this thread last night, but erased it and went on. It could so easily turn into a political rant that I did not want to be guilty of overstepping those boundaries. But after reading some of the responses this morning I thought I would give it a try.

I really do not believe this is a liberal-conservative issue. I taught school for 31 years, all but one in junior/middle school. Lots of eighth graders came and went out of my classrooms during that time. Many thought they would have loved to have had a system like what these parents have provided for their kids. My thought is, however, that you can?t depend on anybody (kids or adults) to choose on their own to learn needed skills that are all that they are not all that excited about. If it had been up to me I would never have sought out math skills. I hated math and science and really struggled with it a lot. I would much rather have read about history. I also loved poetry, even the heavies like Whitman and Thoreau. But when we started racing go karts as an eighth grader my dad, along with a very patient math teacher, showed me the need for some math. I still don?t like it and am not very good at it, but it was a necessity that I would never have delved into on my own. If left on my own, math would never have entered my world. Kids have to be exposed to the necessities of life, academically.

Naturally, there are some very special people that are self-disciplined enough to find out what they need and go after it, but those kinds of folks are few and far between. Exposure to a wide array of subjects becomes more and more important as the world gets smaller and smaller (No, not physically). A gear head may be great at math, physics, etc., but at as a citizen how good is he without some knowledge of history, government, economics, etc.? How do you communicate without a basic knowledge of grammar, spelling (Spell/grammar check is often not correct.) You don?t have to be an expert in these areas, but being competent in them is very important in today?s world. For us old geezers such very general knowledge may not have as important back in the day as they are today.

I have seen during my many years in the classroom many parents who attempt approaches to education and discipline that are very similar to the approach of those parents in this story. These parents were of no particular political or social bent. I really think that most had the best for their kids at heart, but were simply misdirected to one degree or another. One of the real detriments to the kids involved in these types of education is their lack of socialization. One of the things that happens to people who associate with only one kind of people, usually the kind is just like them, is that they have a hard time dealing with folks not like themselves. Whether it be an ultra conservative religious school, or an ultra liberal approach that lets the kids choose everything for themselves, the end result often is one that makes it difficult to deal with the realities of society as we know it.

As parents we cannot ignore the fact that we have a responsibility to provide the best for our kids. Those are decisions that are parental ones, and not ones that we can expect our kids to make on their own. Naturally there are varied approaches to this difficult job. It is an unbelievablely difficult responsibility. A responsibility that I am glad my wife and I don?t have anymore (Okay, I do realize that the responsibility never really goes away.). Time has shown that we did fairly well in our approach as our two kids are doing well and have become responsible citizens. Now it is their turn to struggle with the responsibilities of raising kids so that they too eventually become successful and responsible citizens, who are well rounded and happy. I only hope what my wife and I did for them was good enough that our grandchildren turn out okay. So far, so good.

End of rant.

Comment

Working...
                              X