Bad Parenting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bad Parenting

I'll be willing to bet most unschoolers couldn't construct a response argument such as yours. Well said.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Joe
      Thank you a million times for a long career that I'm sure was often thankless.

I've often said that we should cap pro sports players salaries - and put that money into schools - as a society - what is really more important? This is an example to me of how out of whack our priorities are.

I've had some life changing teachers and I'm very thankful they were part of my life.

I would love to see these kids on the first day of boot camp...
      I for one think 1-2 years of mandatory civil service (Like Israel) is a most excellent idea.
      The guys I went to college with who'd been in the military before coming to college were far better students, and far better disciplined citizens than most of the rest of us.... they took thier studies seriously and all did quite well.

To think that a child is responsible enough to be in charge of his own learning and development is pure foolishness.

Social skills? they won't have any!

one of the things I've seen time after time on a job posting is "must be a good team player" when you've never been in a room with more than your own familiy - how can you possibly know anything about being a team player.

My Mom and Dad were both on the school board when I was a kid - I can't wait to see how they react to this story - I forwarded it to them in an email.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks, Joe. Great response.

I'll add just a little to Joe's post. There's a reason kids are born with parents - they don't come out of the womb knowing what to do and someone has to teach them. That's WHY we have parents. For some reason I can't get the picture of my oldest daughter as a toddler heading toward an electrical plug with a bobby pin in her hand. Should I have just let her "learn"? Nope - I stepped in and made a huge fuss so that she'd know not to repeat this activity. In other words, I did my job. These parents, however well meaning, just don't want to do their job.

Best of luck to these kids - they're going to need it.

Dan

Comment

Seems like a kids dream.....at least for my kids...
          I happened to like school though, my parents owned their own business when I was a kid, most days they were long gone before I woke up in the morning, and home way after me. School wasn't that difficult if you just paid attention, heck, I passed.
          Originally posted by TC
          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Life takes discipline. Self-discipline is not a natural occurrence, it must be taught/learned, not just "sought out if its needed." I agree with Dan, kids have parents (that's a mom and a dad) for a reason. Plenty of people grow up with a parent missing or emotionally absent and turn outto be fine responsible citizens, but it's never the best scenario.

The thing that bugs me about this is that we've worked so hard to make our schools as good as possible in the interest of furthering the public. This unschooling thing might work for a few special kids who are able to learn on their own, but you know what's going to happen next-- kids won't even learn to read and write as a result of not getting an education. We need schools, and we need good ones.
            The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I applaud parents that home school their kids, they take on a Hugh responsibility to ensure their kids learn the fundamentals of having the skills to be a productive adult.

But these people are not good parents and the damage they are doing to their kids will eventually be felt when its time for them to go out on there own....

Our country is going down the tubes in education;

(AP) The United States is losing ground in education, as peers across the globe zoom by with bigger gains in student achievement and school graduations, a study shows.

Among adults age 25 to 34, the U.S. is ninth among industrialized nations in the share of its population that has at least a high school degree. In the same age group, the United States ranks seventh, with Belgium, in the share of people who hold a college degree.

By both measures, the United States was first in the world as recently as 20 years ago, said Barry McGaw, director of education for the Paris-based Organization for Cooperation and Development.

I agree with milner351, every 18 to 21 year old should do a 2 year term of service in the military, peace corp, homeland security, etc. Since the majority of kids today have no respect for anything this would do them a world of good....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
              1966 Plymouth Fury III
              2014 Dodge Ram 1500
              Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
              Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

My dad taught me discipline, school had nothing to do with it. He taught me how but not why. I had to learn that on my own. It took a long time, as in learning the hard way. Do as I say not as I do is really a terrible lesson. Want to do your kids a favor?, teach them why not only how. Basic habits are learned at home not school. School for me was a prison of repetitive learning. More like group babysitting. Now I know its hard for a teacher to reach everyone in a class of 30 to 40 students. But throughout my schooling with the exception of trade school I had only 2 or 3 teachers that really reached me. School ill prepared me for life. After high school I had no clue about human nature, (not talking about the birds and the bees here) the stock market, or even how to make money.
                Anyway apples never fall far from the tree no matter how well one is schooled outside of the home or to what higher education that one obtains.

Comment

Working...
                X