Oh I just have to share....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh I just have to share....

I don't know how many of you don't get along with family members, but me and my sisters husband have our times. You see my sister home schools her kids and I think it's a bad idea, not that my sister isn't a good teacher, but I feel every kids should go to school and not miss out on those experiences of life. Anyway my brother-in-law is kind of the I'm "right" type of guy and always says this arguement that MIT accepts more Home Schooled applicants than applicants coming from public type schools. Anyway like I always do when I hear BS ;) I decided to do a little research and low and behold I found this.

Over the past 5-10 years, we have seen a surge in homeschooled applicants. Homeschooled applicants still make up less than 1% of our applicant pool, and homeschooled students corresponding still make up less than 1% of our student body
    And where did I find this, straight from the MIT admissions website, the Accociate Director of Admissions wrote it. And I can't wait to hear what my brother-in-laws excuses are going to be. :D :D :D

Here's the link in case any of you home school and would like to know what you have to do to get your kid into MIT.

At MIT Admissions, we recruit and enroll a talented and diverse class of undergraduates who will learn to use science, technology, and other areas of scholarship to serve the nation and the world in the 21st century.

Re: Oh I just have to share....

I tend to agree with you TC in that going to school isn't just about getting an education, it's about life and all it's experiences and learning how to deal with them
    "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

I think today with schools teaching for the mcas, and only that.. so they look good and get grants..
      you have to send your child to school, and then home school them after they get home, as the school system now. only teaches what the feds think they should know..
      current events are not part of the mcas, and sadly not covered as they happen..

Comment

Since you asked, and I've been drinking...

My brother and I don't get along well.
        My mom died in 1989, worked for the state of Michigan(30yrs),
        and left us both 60k in insurance money....but my brother
        was older, so named executor.

He screwed me out of that 60k, which leaves me where I am now(broke).

Rant over.

PS(F*&%k my brother...shall he rot in hell).

Comment

Originally posted by min301

Rant over.

if he didn't take it, you ex would have, better it to be in the family, no?

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD

Rant over.

if he didn't take it, you ex would have, better it to be in the family, no?

At the time, she wasn't my ex.
            She's gonna rot in hell too.

Comment

first thing taught was to forgive..
              you might want to try that before your last hours

Comment

You don't know me...
                don't lecture me, you have no idea.

Comment

You don't know me...
                  don't lecture me, you have no idea.
                  lite'n up..
                  your gonna have a heart attack real young.. everything gets under your skin

Comment

So, homeschooling deprives me of life experiences? And it doesn't give me a good education?

Let me start from the beginning on homeschooling, since I have had this discussion many, many times.

The success or failure of homeschooling relies on the parents, and how they handle working with their children. The thing that a successful homeschooling relies on is that the parents will instill a sense of self discipline in their kids. Most home education is self study work, and will rely on the student taking time and working with their curriculum on their own. Homeschooling offers many other unique opportunities. Dad and I rebuilt a B+S 16 horse engine when I was 13. It was my first real experience with gearhead type stuff. As far as academic performance, most homeschooled friends I have far surpass my publicly schooled friends. Personally, I scored a 28 composite on my ACT. As far as the social life- how many places after highschool do you encounter a similar social environment to a public school? Most of my social experience has been in more of a workplace or colliegate social environment, which I have been encountering more and more as I get older. Just my thoughts and experiences on the issue.
                    -Walt

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi
                      So, homeschooling deprives me of life experiences? And it doesn't give me a good education?

Let me start from the beginning on homeschooling, since I have had this discussion many, many times.

The success or failure of homeschooling relies on the parents, and how they handle working with their children. The thing that a successful homeschooling relies on is that the parents will instill a sense of self discipline in their kids. Most home education is self study work, and will rely on the student taking time and working with their curriculum on their own. Homeschooling offers many other unique opportunities. Dad and I rebuilt a B+S 16 horse engine when I was 13. It was my first real experience with gearhead type stuff. As far as academic performance, most homeschooled friends I have far surpass my publicly schooled friends. Personally, I scored a 28 composite on my ACT. As far as the social life- how many places after highschool do you encounter a similar social environment to a public school? Most of my social experience has been in more of a workplace or colliegate social environment, which I have been encountering more and more as I get older. Just my thoughts and experiences on the issue.
                      -Walt
                      got ya,, but at the same time if you had the public schooling too. you might have had talk to the people in that class you where taking when your car shi t the bed..
                      and they might have been more eager to help..
                      just a thought..
                      I think today you have to have both, and it's always been that way.. it starts at home, but interacting with others is a plus,,

Comment

if formalities are written, accepted by state, local standards. home schooling is not different.. its sociopathic, but hey, that is thier business.

I have a younger sister adopted from kasikstan (spelling) .. I bet her real parents thought home schooling was great too.

alot of prejudice out of fear goes away with public school... could be as simple as "never seen a negro before" or whatever.. that happens at like 4 years old... we all end up a people. same goes for encounteriung femmies, and lezzies, freaks and weirdos that like honda civics, and every other out loud thing to dislike.
                        school is more than school. still friendlier than a blunt wartime military. I guess this is a serious subject.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Grew up with two people (guy and gal that werent related) that were home schooled.I was a bit of a hell raiser but not that bad and he couldnt beleive some of the things we did.The gal on the other hand Im sure her mom would fall into the MILF,GILF and Cougar category ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 116ciHemi

-Walt
                            But does home schooling prepare you for a job??

You know, having to get up at a certain time, shower, get dressed,eat, brush your teeth and hair, get to school on time, being there for X amount of hours and doing what your told by a superior. School is not just for learning, it also prepares you to be at a job for a certain period of time.

As for social environments, I'm still friends with people that I went to Kindergarten with. For me school stemmed life long friendships and opened opportunities that I would have never had if I didn't go to public school.

Comment

Well, lets see. My days right now look like this.:Up at 7:00 am every day, doing school work by eight, ride my bike 4 miles to the machine shop at 11, ride home at 3:30. Evening are split between working on the car, planning CAP activities, and screwing around in general. When I take care of dogs, I am the first one up and out of the house, I have to be there by 7:00 am and 5:30pm every day twice a day no matter what. Part of the reason I got that job is because I am homeschooled.

For the socialization, I personally am a little antisocial. I don't know if it is a result of homeschooling or what. I know other homeschooled students, my sister as an example, who have many good friends and communicate well with everybody. I deal well with adults, but I have trouble talking to kids my own age. When I hear kids talk about the social goings on of a highschool, I have never wished I was there.

-Walt

Comment

Working...
                              X