New barn find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New barn find

I was walking out of a salvage yard (pics of that later) on Monday and I see a guy across the street wheeling a bike out to the road and put a sign on it. I recognized it immediately and walked over to check it out. He saw the '70 Yamaha DS-6 on my trailer, checked it out while I was in the junkyard and remembered he meant to bring this out front and sell it. Well I had to have it so I loaded it up and took it home. It's a '66 Puch SGS250. Hooked up a battery charger to it, cleaned out the petcock, added some fresh gas, and it fired up. Took it for a spin around the neighborhood and it seems to run very good. The sticker on the front fender is says Seneca Army Depot 1967.

Re: New barn find

Two weeks prior I had sold this '65 175 that was a nice low mileage original, but like most of these that you find, the engine was locked up. I had sellers remorse almost immediately and vowed to find another.

Comment

I have no idea what that thing is worth, but it's good looking and I can't believe it started up that easy. Great find.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The crazy chopper based on one of these Puch 175/250 bikes. This one was a show piece from the '60s that was found in a falling down barn. The engine? Locked up of course, but I have had it moving so there is hope. This one was originally a Scrambler, which is very rare and worth lots of dough in nice condition. I've seen one go for close to $7k. This one is a keeper because it's just so unique.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Puch. Were they made in Germany or Italy? It's a cool looking bike.

Somewhere here in my computer I have a crappy picture of a really cool barn find motorbike I saw one day. This hate inducing guy found a Vincent Blackshadow and was hauling around in the back of his pickup while running errands all day.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
              Puch. Were they made in Germany or Italy?
              Germany,and i wonder if there where sold lots of Puchs in the states..or just in Vermont ;D.?.Looking at the mileage,it wasnt loved.

I have some buddys that have restored several Puchs.Mostly 175 and 125.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                Puch. Were they made in Germany or Italy?
                Germany,and i wonder if there where sold lots of Puchs in the states..or just in Vermont ;D.?.Looking at the mileage,it wasnt loved.

I have some buddys that have restored several Puchs.Mostly 175 and 125.
                They were made in Austria by Steyr-Daimler-Puch. Most you will find are 175cc. They aren't worth a whole lot, a nice one with a locked up engine is worth $750-1,000 for a 175, up to $2500 for a nice running example.
                The SGS 250 is fairly rare, so it's worth more, sometimes reaching $4000 for a mint example. I paid a few hundred for this one despite it's condition because it wasn't locked up. Now that it's rideable it would probably bring $750-1000 but I'm keeping it.

The engine on these bikes is a 2 stroke known as a split single or "twingle" It has a single combustion chamber, and two pistons on a Y-shaped connecting rod. It is a design that was in use from the '20s up through the '70s.

Comment

That was the fastest sale for that guy, right time, right place.
                  Phil / Omaha

Comment

Nice score. 8)

That Puch bears a strong similarity to my '65 Ducati 250. Is it possible they shared a designer, or did one company bootleg the others' designs?

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

That Ducati is a beauty :o
                      I have a couple but nothing that old and small.

Comment

Back in the mid 70s, I used to see some Puch bikes on the mx track and in the woods. Back then, it was Husky, Maico, CZ/Jawa, Bultaco, Ossa, CanAm, Honda, Yam and Kaw. The Huskys had the power and the Maicos handled. The Puch bikes had pretty distinctive cylinder and head fins. Am I imagining things or did Puch had a twin carb MX bike?

Never saw a Puch motorcycle on the road. Plenty of mopeds but never a road bike.

Comment

I thought they only made mopeds.. big around here in the early 80's on the vanyard and beach areas

Comment

Cool find ;D Reminds me of the Suzuki T200 I fix up for my older brother in the early 70's.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY
                              That Puch bears a strong similarity to my '65 Ducati 250. Is it possible they shared a designer, or did one company bootleg the others' designs?
                              There were common designs used by most bike makers at different times, just like most early 1930s cars look alike.

My dad had a couple of those Ducati 250s back when they were not very old.
                              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X