Unmarked police cruisers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unmarked police cruisers.

Saw a car pulled over by an unmarked car the other day and I got to wondering... Why would you EVER pull over for an unmarked 'police' car? Just because it has flashy lights? How are you supposed to know for certain that they are the good guys? I would think an unmarked car could constitute them failing to identify themselves, I mean it could be some nut job with some lights and a Crown Vic. Stranger things have happened.

Thoughts?
    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Re: Unmarked police cruisers.

I've pondered this for a long time. Even pulling over for a marked car could be a bad situation.
    Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Call 911 and get dispatch to verify that the car behind you is a officer, or proceed to a safe / well lit / public place before stopping
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger
        Saw a car pulled over by an unmarked car the other day and I got to wondering... Why would you EVER pull over for an unmarked 'police' car? Just because it has flashy lights? How are you supposed to know for certain that they are the good guys? I would think an unmarked car could constitute them failing to identify themselves, I mean it could be some nut job with some lights and a Crown Vic. Stranger things have happened.

Thoughts?
        Nothing new around these parts. Even though you don't have to stop for them. But that doesn't mean run from them, best bet is to drive to a populated area and then pull over and then explain your concerns to the officer for why you didn't pull over immediately.

You can also tell the officer that you want a "marked" unit at the seen.

Also if you ever feel your being treated unfairly by a police officer, tell him you no longer wish to talk with him and you would like a Superior officer at the seen. I've done this on a couple of occasions and it was interesting to see the officers attitude change.

Comment

My brother didn't pull over for an unmarked car once. The car followed him the couple miles to his house. Then when he got out it turned out to be drug enforcement officers in the unmarked car. They didn't seem to concerned about the fact he did not pulling over. He "looked" suspicious so they wanted to pull him over. He had nothing to hide and the vehicle was registered and insured so they went on their way uneventfully. I'm not sure I'd pull over either because of the nut job factor. I'm sure it's a situation the unmarked car officers are aware of.
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell
            Call 911 and get dispatch to verify that the car behind you is a officer, or proceed to a safe / well lit / public place before stopping
            Hahaha, how great minds think alike. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockRanger

Thoughts?
              I recently saw a news story where a man was arrested for that reason. He had a former police CV and had flashing headlights and such, but no blue/red on the car. He tried pulling over a lady and did the stupid thing of holding a flashing light out the window of the car in his hand that flashed back and forth between blue and red. The lady was smart and called 911 to check. He got nailed.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Had a mustang 05 or newer about 14 months ago.........I don't know if not pulling over for him after passing him on a two lane sweeper of a off / on ramp for 465 to 70 at 70 in a 55 but recommended at 35 (yellow sign ) I pulled right over when he finally caught up with me ( keep his speed at 50 till down on the next high way ) man was he ticked ! I like the idea of asking for a superior officer if he acts like a jerk though. In my case after the second irate stupid question I just said....I'm done talking....just give me the ticket. He did.

Comment

I've told this story before but the one and only time I ever decided to race someone on a highway, it was an unmarked Mass state trooper. It was 1998. I was in my 1988 Camaro (TPI 350, cam - headers) and he was in a blacked out 1998 Camaro SS. Side by side at 110mph and he hammers the brakes, pulls in behind me and hits the lights....I pulled over.

I paid a MASSIVE ticket, got killed on my insurance, and got reamed by the parental units (I had just graduated high school).

I can laugh about it now....then it was tragic.
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I've waved back at a cop that was trying to wave me over for some infraction (I suppose it could be the 80 in a 55).... he had another car stopped so I figured I'd either make the other guy's day or get away with it..... must have been my fierce, lawyery expression but he just stared at me as I drove by.... ;D
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I saw so many troopers in RI and MA today that it was disgusting. Rainy day, so NONE of them were actually working, just out there to be 'seen'.

There are SO MANY more productive ways to spend our tax dollars. Protect & Serve, my a$$.

Comment

Oh, and for all you other drivers doing 60 mph in the passing lane where the limit is 65... put your turn signal on, check your blind spot, and MOVE OVER. PLEASE.

And thats not just New England drivers...

Too bad everyone that applies to is probably on either Oprah.com or WebMD, trying to figure out why they're constipated.

Comment

unmarked is supposed to be detectives or other busy non-street police. I can see it promoting a chase or attempt at getaway. I kinda just know if its police or not..a hunch.but alot do not.

lights up top and obvious is a safer route for everybody.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

six figure coppers
                            maybe they can help the orange jumpsuits pick up litter on rainy days ?

Comment

We've had a few situations of people mounting up the correct lights and what not for a unmarked police car here the last few years. Because of that the police issued public notice that if they get pulled over but an unmarked cruiser it's ok to pull over in a well lit/populated area, and ask for a marked cruiser to come to the scene.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X