pay too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pay too much?

I am browsing the web looking for a hose barb, weldable, stainless steel..1/8th inch.
    this is for a gas tank that goes for $400 delivered new, untreated...I refuse to scrap my high pressure tank over a hose barb.
    so I stupidly spent 15 bucks at summit for this:

it better take a tack weld...even after the reaming and threads >

1.25 inches long... claimed to be for vacuum. I wanted straight edge as I may compression fit it, I may not..

would you pay that much?
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Re: pay too much?

Nope....I go to ACE or Lowes.....WAY cheaper.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Never fails ......the smaller the part
      the higher the price.

I'm assuming it being stainless is what is
      driving the price.
      Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

hey got the little part today. It was better than expected. I never see the backside of these, they are usually hollow, and useless on thoughts of a tack weld. This one is quite solid and heavy. I knew not to get the 303 version, this one is the step below that, but still heavy and stainless (for weld/melt puddle reasons- this is going directly into a sheet tank)

no complaints from me. before shipping was $10.25.. and local is impossible (there is nothing.. even with a lowes, etc etc)

Also got a new order catalog and a $20 coupon. Alright I guess. I can tell it is weldable, but will have to wait and see.
        Previously boxer3main

Comment

stainless prices, especially for machined stainless has been going up. Last time I was looking at bolts at Home Cheepo a normal 1/2"x2 SS bolt was 5 bucks each (no word as to whether you needed to pledge your 1st born).... it was a bit surprising.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

got any pic's of how this worked out?

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
              got any pic's of how this worked out?
              not yet. I am a weekend warrior with the mig.

it should be alright, easy going. auto dim mask a must do.. little tiny bead, straight shot in. I will thread it in for what its worth, then let it have it.

I got a 13 foot exahust sytem behind me, curves angles, all on a super stoiching engine (I could catch it glowing if I tried)I got to know the sealing in circles routine. The tank to be fixed has been empty since 2006, sitting on the cold ground. I will be darned to pay 400 dollars for one...
              The only reason for my current failure is a freak rare batch of cheap tanks shipped to the world (just 2 years of 35)... so, looking forward to changing integrity, if all goes well. ;D

I found some more stainless gadgets in the performancesst website, but will stay to ordering through summit (seems cheaper)
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

if snap on made it ...........

Comment

Working...
                X