Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motorcycle adventure riding...(stupidity follows )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle adventure riding...(stupidity follows )

So there is this place on the web called Adventurerider.com and they have a game called "tag O' Rama" In Southern Alabama it's called the SoTor (southeast Alabama Tag O' Rama )....

What you do is find a place and take a pic of your girly ass adventure bike in front of it.... then you post hints of where it is and then your jack ass friends go and find it.... first one takes a picture in front of the same stupid spot.... and wallah... you have grown up Version of Tag for Motorcycles..... ( basically it gets fat old farts off the couch and on a scooter)

So Last night I decided I was going after the most recent tag.... it's 25 miles down a TWISTY two lane road and it should be fun... or at least an adventure.... ( little did I know... ) ( NO CRASHING pic's or Video to follow )

So here is what I wrote up about the trip..... Just thought I'd share it here so you guys could know what kind of idiot your dealing with here.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------My post

Okay so here's the deal... I'm sitting around mopping cause someone else tagged Bruce's Rods and Customs.... Bruce is a good friend of mine and we often do lunch.... if you've never been there it's a great paint shop... ( oh and he sponsor's my " Camaro " )

So I'm sitting here last night and find the tag on Google.... ( not to hard... )Then tell the lovely Miss Tonya that I'm going to go snag this thing in the morning... and hopefully it will still be raining ( cause I want to test my new one piece rain suit )... go to bed early...get up at 3:30am... dress and head down to my shop/garage... ahhh so which bike... the new Buell??? or maybe the new Ascott V2 Honda?..... well it's raining... and they are both recently cleaned up from my last foray's.... hmmm now bout the " Jam'n Family Truckster " my Stalwart 550 Honda that was my mount for the trip to Mexico....it's good in the rain... and frankly was wanting wear.... Perfect...

Off we go..... ( me in my new fancy rainsuit ).... Bout half way down Hwy 27 I realize that in my hast to get started....I forgot to grab and wear my Riding jacket.... ( I'm pretty good about ATTGATT )... Damn it... now I feel naked.... but quite dry thanks to my new Fancy one piece "Daisy red Rider " rain suit.... ( it's black, but work with me here )....

Flicker Flicker headlight not so headlighty.... Hmmm SHIT!!!... well at least the high beam works.... and damn if I don't have to go just over there and gets me some of that Tag thing....

Tag Check.... check Check.... hmmm oh well... Least I gots me some High Beam action....

So the story went... till it was dark and rainy in the back woods of Alabama... hmmm okay this " Not So Headlighty" thing it's not all it's cracked up to be.... and hey... did anyone notice it was Dark out here??? I'm talking dark like 14 mo fo's eating a ham sandwich.... Dark... hmmm

Who would have thunk that a bad ground could effect both Low and HIGH beam.... ( Well I NEver ).... Dang it man...

So I pull over by that light up ahead and it's attached to a House... Okay now here's a high light of the next 30 minutes ... ( bout how long it took to restart my heart ) Would you believe that folks who live in the country own say..... DOGS..... and damned if they would not partake in Leash laws? ( I should note at this time that I have a Deathly fear of canines )(not a healthy respect.... but a deathly fear... ( think little school girl fear ))

Hmmmm sure is dark out here.... ( I did mention it's raining and dark right? ) I'm not about to sit still.... that freaking Dog wants to EAT ME.... I asked him in our brief encounter and his specific request was a piece of my ass..... Yes sir'ee Bob.... that puppy wanted my body....

Hmmm I'll just go slow and pull over when I see a car coming behind me.... but alas... woe is me.... the car comes from the opposite direction.... and since I'm an OLD fart... my Visor virtually blinds me... both it and my Glass's ( required equipment for an old Fart ).... sparkle in the glow of the on coming cars headlights.... I decide to pull over and loose the Visor.... yeah that will help... Still got the windscreen and my glass's but the oncoming headlights aren't the worst thing here..... worst is... a car does finally come up behind me.... and I get over in time cause it's DARK... and while I have Tail lights ( I think ).... I want to ride his butt and use his Headlights.... BUT Wait.... he's going 65mph and on the way over here I didn't exceed 55mph cause I was being a Little girl... ( see School girl comment above ).... But I try and tail his nappy butt for as long as I can... cause he's got lights and me.... well "not so much".... I lasted thru 4 gears before I cancelled my plans to use his headlights in the rain.... Only issue I had at that point was slowing back down while staying on a winding road in the middle of a very black night while it was raining in no where Alabama....

I creeped back home the 20 miles.... opting not to hang out and get eaten by the little doggies.... cause... .... well just cause....

It really was good to roll into the shop safe and sound.... what a freaking adventure... riding at night in the rain with no headlight...... talk about an IDIOT... damn the shame of it all.... but you know what... I spent 20yrs of my life flying helicopters at night and I know how to do this junk.... I just sincerely worried about scaring the poop out of a driver coming up behind me or on coming traffic seeing my running lights... absolutely brain dead.... but for the last hour and half I have been totally alive.... I mean wide ass awake and vibrating....

LIFE IS GOOD..... I'll see if I can't find a picture in this hear box....

Hmmmm
    Last edited by KeithTurk : Today at 05:31 AM.

Re: Motorcycle adventure riding...(stupidity follows )

So I assume you won't be riding at night without a headlight again? ;)

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Awesome, a night time rain ride :D I've left for work with out my riding jacket once, felt the same way. Glad you made it home safe.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

You should give those Jackass guys ideas ;D

Comment

I'd love for those Jack ass guys to do this.... then we wouldn't have to be exposed to them anymore.... ( not a fan )...

This was just one of those nights that you'll never forget... Crazy stuff...

Think about all the dumb stuff we've got away with over the years..... Like who here hasn't driven a car using a Milk crate for the seat.....

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
            I'd love for those Jack ass guys to do this.... then we wouldn't have to be exposed to them anymore.... ( not a fan )...

This was just one of those nights that you'll never forget... Crazy stuff...

Think about all the dumb stuff we've got away with over the years..... Like who here hasn't driven a car using a Milk crate for the seat.....

K
            Hehe..i remember a friend that should help med tow a 53 Fargo pick up..thats a Dodge,but called Fargo in export markets.It was completely disassembled when i bought it.The cab and the bed had been taken off the frame,and just about all parts where tossed around in the garage where it was.

We (my friend)had a stepside chevy with a built 350,so we took his truck for this expedition.

There where no trailer involved in this operation either..just a tow rod,since there where no brakes on the Fargos frame .Cause this was the plan..to tow the frame with the cab on it..it was just that the cab was mounted loose on the frame..that was my brilliant idea..and my friend had been towed by me before..and i must have been interested in scaring him..,and now he had ideas on how to scare me..

It wasnt a long trip either.Just some 6-7 miles..through our city.He started towing slow,but after a little while,we had 30mph...the cab was moving on the frame several inches each way,and when we hit a bump,it jumped too.The only thing that didnt move,was the steering column and the steering wheel.

Instead of taking the road through the city,he took another road with some twisty turns..now we had around 40mph..it felt like 100..

How i got through those turns with life in behold,is still a mystery..you steer with the same handle that hold you in position in the cab..and your ass is moving around like you are on a roller coaster.

I told him rhight away when we stopped,how dangerous this was..he didnt believe me..he felt i needed it ;D.
            His truck .

Comment

So is this a long Pole with a chain stuck through it????

Comment

So is this a long Pole with a chain stuck through it????
                I forgot to tell.That tow rod,was a 4 inch steel tube that we had compressed each end in a press,and then drilled a 1 inch hole in in each ends..yeah..chain or wire held it in place in each truck ;D

Comment

wow, two funny stories - one thread.... that said, I just can't help but wonder at your choice of places to stop after your death-defying, doggone moto-ride ;D

as for the tube - who knew that there were rednecks in Norway? that is some redneck engineering ;) I won't tell you of the time I did that and the bar folded :-X
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

.... hmmm now bout the "Jam'n Family Truckster" my Stalwart 550 Honda that was my mount for the trip to Mexico....
                    This must be what people call artistic license ... since that is the "Rattler" with "Jam'n Family Truckster" bolt-ons !!
                    ;D

Great story ... but one you probably don't want to tell in your next Motorcycle Safety Course ..
                    ;)

Comment

if you took nothing away from the OP...at least take this

"did anyone notice it was Dark out here??? I'm talking dark like 14 mo fo's eating a ham sandwich"

Quote of the week?
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                      X