LS engine search for 86 Camaro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS engine search for 86 Camaro

Dad got a neglected 86 305 auto camaro a couple years ago, its ruff around the edges but with a little TLC he got it running he was going to fix it up and make a cruiser out of it but lately he has been talking about putting a 5.3 or other LS based engine in it and using it as a LSR car.

What year did they start putting the "LS" engines in the Chevy trucks? What should be gotten other than the wiring and ecm?

Are there any other vehicles (fwd M.C.?) that are good for their motor I know the f-body and vette would be great but I more than likely those go really quickly cost much more. What should a 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 engine cost. I don't go to the JY often but have never seen one there. They come up on CL every once and a while most of the time listed for $800-$1000+

Saw this and got me thinking........ "** chevy gmc 5.3 v8 engine--low miles*** - $800 this motor has only 62k miles, came out of a 05 gmc yukon. runs great"

This is a long way off but being a ford guy I am way behind on this stuff. And its never to early to collect parts
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Re: LS engin search for 86 Camaro

The GM LS engine is a new engine design intended as the only V-8 engine utilized in General Motors' line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. The LS series was a clean sheet design with little in common with the classic Chevrolet small block V8. Some LS engines are all-aluminium, especially the performance oriented engines, while others are cast iron, and all LS engines have 6-bolt main bearing caps.

The LS engine has been the sole powerplant of the Chevrolet Corvette since 1997 and has seen use in a wide variety of other General Motors vehicles, ranging from sport coupes to full size trucks. Due to the engine's relatively compact external dimensions compared to its displacement and power output, the engine family is also a popular choice for kit cars, hot rods, buggies, and even light aircraft.

The Generation III V-8 engines replaced the Gen II-LT family in 1997 and Gen I completely by 2000. Like the previous two generations, the gen III/IV can be found in many different brands. The engine blocks were cast in aluminium for car applications, and iron for most truck applications (notable exceptions include the Chevrolet TrailBlazer SS, Chevrolet SSR and a limited run of Chevrolet/GMC Extended Cab Standard Box Z71 Trucks). The architecture of the LS series makes for an extremely strong engine block with the aluminium engines being nearly as strong as the iron generation I and II engines and with the iron LS engines far exceeding the capabilities of the previous two generations. The engine also introduced coil-on-plug ignition. The traditional five-bolt pentagonal cylinder head pattern was replaced with a square four-bolt design, and the pistons are of the flat-topped variety (in the LS1, LS2, LS3, LS6, LS7, LQ9 and L33), while all other variants, including the new LS9 received a dished version of the GM hypereutectic piston. The cylinder firing order was changed to 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3, so that the LS series now corresponds to the firing pattern of other modern V8 engines.

Read more about it here -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

Comment

86 body... yikes. could be anything.

if carbed, it may even have a gas tank not meant for 60psi injection. :

If you are into welding, attack the usual places..while its good.

the gm stuff over to injection is way simpler than japanese. I looked into it at a junk yard. Even the conversation was quick.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Steve, thanks for the info, 2000 and newer!

Boxer, Yes it currently has a Q-jet,

Originally posted by boxer3main

I don't understand.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell
          Steve, thanks for the info, 2000 and newer!

Boxer, Yes it currently has a Q-jet,

Originally posted by boxer3main

I don't understand.
          rustbelt area they are real thin underneath... before you do much..
          check the unitbogy for rot

Comment

Check out LS1Tech.com and look in their conversion section. Haven't found a better LS1 conversion site than that.
            Bakersfield, CA.

Comment

They are super easy to transplant with the adapter brackets. Nothing to it.

Make sure you get the factory computer and harness if you are going that route, because they did have different crank trigger wheels in different years so you want the computer to match. Or, the better way is to use a megasquirt or EMS pro and go that route. It will make more power and you can make your own harness that will be much cleaner.
              "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Russell......Look up LKQ....they usually have these for a little cheaper.....

I am super stoked that you guys are thinking about this....I would love to see/help you guys at Maxton.....

Let us know if we can help with anything....

BTW.....Dave Maty (greenjunk) knows a ton about these motors as well....and he is in Raleigh.

Seth
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                X