Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are throttle cables unsafe?

Are throttle cables unsafe?

I ask, because the automotive industry seems to think replacing them with tons of electronics will somehow improve safety, drivability, emissions, etc. I don't get it.

Look at the latest problem Dodge is having with the NHTSA. http://bangshift.com/blog/Breaking-N...ll-victim.html

If hundreds and hundreds of Americans were dying from sticking throttles all these years, why weren't we hearing about it?
    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Re: Are throttle cables unsafe?

I dont believe in throttle cables I guess , My 07 F150 is drive by wire and the 65 Dodge 225 is all rods. ;D
    But I know what you mean

Comment

I guess the modern engineers gotta have the computer controlling everything thru the data bus.

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

well , IAC valves don't go bad anymore

Comment

What I wonder about is if throttle by wire goes bad the fail safe should be throttle closed, works in theory at least. What is fail safe for steering by wire? Strait ahead? Or brake by wire? Full stop?

Comment

oh brother.... now repeat after me "Life is dangerous, but it beats the alternative".... drive-by-wire-darwinism....

have you considered it's all some big conspiracy by (hmm, which faceless large corporation should I put here) Hot Rodders to kill stupid people who drive econoboxes? I mean, really, how many of the cars that are driving into walls, off cliffs, or (worse) onto shoulders of highways would any of you own?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

:-\ never had one make my car run away with itself :-\ ???
              COBEY..... franklin, kansas

Comment

I got some drive by wire, linkage kept fallin' off so I had to put some bailin' wire on it.

Seriously though, I think it's not a conspiracy, it's a matter of turning the pedal into a sensor, and the computer reacting to it. Instead of the pedal pulling a cable against a throttle blade with a sensor attached to it and a computer reacting. However, I think most here (myself included) feel more comfortable with mechanical controls. How many here have had a computer lock up (Mac users are banned from responding), on newer computers (in the last 10 years) you just hold in the power button for 5 seconds and it powers down. Now think about shooting down the highway at 70 mph when that happens. I'd rather be able to knock it into neutral when than happens.
                sigpic

Comment

I prefer a solid rod connection to MY carb!

Underground metal band... any BS'ers gonna be in W.Va. on the 14th? Check these dudes out...

Comment

Drive by wire is just another step in the process to remove the person behind the wheel from control of the vehicle. Eventually, the cars will be driving themselves. Police would be thrilled not to have speeders, drunks, illegal u-turns, and every one will move in unison, orderly fashion. Of course, morons can play with their cell phones all they want. I'm not going to say it's a conspiracy, but it seems that the direction we are heading.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

it's for cafe and that all..
                      a cable is way safer... but at the same time as you drive your foot moves as you hit bumps in the road..
                      move'n the throttle.. and enrich'n the mix..
                      the wire can take this into account.. and is why the throttle is so dam lazy in most of these type cars..
                      I don't like them.. I'll take a cable anyday..
                      the cable will be back as the lawyers will force their hands, as there is no foolproof way to have wire control and it not fail..
                      one short is all it take..
                      no thanks..

Comment

it is not about safe with the cables, just like 18guage making an entire car called evolution.

car companies do not fight inflation, they create it.. it is a one way street dead end.

all electronics are cheap as shit, and they riding it now more than ever. one more piece of precise metal to take away and save money.

I see my local state police are gaining ar15s. Nice. 8)
                        at least there is a thick enough barrel to fire some bulletts that are gonna defend us...

me, my carb, and my throttle cable. ;D

"right to bear thottle cables" going to be a campaign.

there is no excuses for criminal.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Buickguy
                          oh brother.... now repeat after me "Life is dangerous, but it beats the alternative".... drive-by-wire-darwinism....

have you considered it's all some big conspiracy by (hmm, which faceless large corporation should I put here) Hot Rodders to kill stupid people who drive econoboxes? I mean, really, how many of the cars that are driving into walls, off cliffs, or (worse) onto shoulders of highways would any of you own?
                          Sweet mother of pearl!!! I hadn't thought of that! Kinda along the lines of my favorite theory: More dangerous toys, less stupid adults. So Toyota is actually doing us a favor???
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

I'd say for Toyota, fly by wire is unsafe. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by BangShiftChad
                              Are throttle cables unsafe?

I ask, because the automotive industry seems to think replacing them with tons of electronics will somehow improve safety, drivability, emissions, etc. I don't get it.

Look at the latest problem Dodge is having with the NHTSA. http://bangshift.com/blog/Breaking-N...ll-victim.html

If hundreds and hundreds of Americans were dying from sticking throttles all these years, why weren't we hearing about it?
                              They are just preparing the cars for OBD III. This will be the ultimate in VCM software, where Police will be able to send a command to your car and shut it down, or in the case of fly-by-wire, shut the throttle down and not effect the power steering and brakes.

Plus a little thing I've picked up with the HP Tuners gig, the transmission actually monitors torque output and in the software their is a torque limit parameter. If the trans sees more torque than the value in the field it commands the throttle to shut down some. So even if you have the throttle to the floor the computer may keep the throttle from fully opening to keep the torque output down. It's all part of the torque management that is programmed into the transmission programming.

Comment

Working...
                              X