Source Interlink Von Fink's Squirrel Hair Panel Jam/Charity Car Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source Interlink Von Fink's Squirrel Hair Panel Jam/Charity Car Show

Man, that's a mouthful. In short, this was a car show at the Hot Rod/Car Craft/Motor Trend/ Muscle Car Review/ and some motorcycle mag's offices in El Segundo. I guess that wasn't shorter. Anyhow, this show came about when sign painter/ pinstriper extraordonaire Jeff Styles starting talking about hosting a panel jam at his shop. Photo god, Randy Lorentzen, got the idea of making a car show out of it. Then came the idea of having a bunch of pinstripers and air brush artists show their stuff and auction off work all for charity. Fireman's Fund became the receiving charity and the whole shebang got going.

This show was last minute, only about a month notice, and only had some internet and flyer handouts for advertising. Considering the lack of notice and word of mouth, the turnout was great. I'm hoping there's another one next year. Or, this fall.

Let's get started with some of the bitchin rides I saw.

First, was this '67 Charger. It was immaculate inside and out. This body style was not the big hit Dodge had hoped.

Underhood was a 440 built with the latest go fast goodies.

I can't understand why Dodge didn't keep this interior when the Charger got restyled for '68. Buckets front and rear and full length console are so cool. Yeah, I know, not very useful, but c'mon, it could've been an option.

Source marketing guy and Swede, Kemon (sp?) got his '66 Buick Wildcat back on the road. He bought it with the front clip mushed.

The Wildcat is running the original 401 right down to it's leaky Rochchester. Thankfully, he thinks nailheads are cooler than small block Chevy's.

Next door, was another cool Buick, a '64 Riviera. It's got a '65 nose and a really bright red paint job.

Check out the major metal flake and pinstriping on the roof of the Rivey.

Under the hood, another nail head, and it's as bright as the paint.

Parked next to each other were these two pale green '56 Fords. A coupe on the right was a Crown Vic.

On left, a mildly customized two door wagon. You don't see these everyday.

I think this is a '65 Mercury Comet. That dude in the red hat is Jeff Smith, tech editor at Car Craft. He was answering a flurry of questions on his '66 Chevelle and the LS engine install.

This lil '67 Chevelle is a super clean lil cruiser. It had a bench seat, column seat, blue interior. Very sedate.

The original 327 got rebuilt with some new stuff like Edelbrock RPM heads, intake, and carb. I'm betting it gets up and goes a bit better.

What's not to like about a red mid year Corvette with a hot sbc and 4 speed.

At first glance I thought this was Steve Strope's "Hammer" 70 Road Runner. Nope. The only things in common were the color and the quality of it's build.

A stroked 440 with some juice on the side makes this baby scream. Vrrroooommm!!!.

Inside, a pair of buckets, a big and tall shifter connected to a Keisler 5 speed, and a custom dash.

Some of our Bang Shifters are car carrier crazy. They're a nice, weird bunch. This crew cab COE on a F600 chassis is for you. That F100 getting a ride is just one of many that came that morning.

Inside the COE was a modern, comfy place to hit the road in.

This is a one off prototype with a mid engine LS7 pushing 600 horseys. This thing looks to have been designed by someone with a serious Batman fetish, but at a measely 2200 pounds; I'm betting it's just as fast.

This total copper custom has made the mags on several ocassions. I like it even though it has some bump steer issues. That's a Olds Rocket V8 for power.

Check out the custom seats, cut down Olds steering wheel, and chromed rebar supports.

This show had a ton of pin stripers and air brush artists in attendance so this Lincoln Continental looking like it got attacked wasn't a surprise. I liked the result of the paint assault.

It's not everyday you see copious pin stripes mixed with an airbrush skeleton.

You want to be in style with your rod forever? Buy a '57 Bel Air, paint it black with flames and add some Cragars. Done.

This particular car got some print on The Cults Sonic Temple album cover. I've also seen it at more than one movie premier.

It's hard to see in the pic, but this '68 Charger is actually green. So dark of green, it's almost black. In anything but direct sunlight, it looks black. With four bias ply Mickey Thompsons, I'm betting driving this muscle machine is exciting.

Certain muscle car engines have sounds all their own. This Green Z/28's 302 with it's solid lifter Duntov cam, 11:1 compression, and chambered exhaust doesn't sound like any other small block.

Chad is a proud mini truck fan. Hell, he used to build them. This customized S10 had been slammed into the weeds with air bags and a C notch chassis.

This is an Nash Ambassador Super 8 Town Sedan. The original Super inline 8 was replaced with a BBC and the owner drives it quite often.

My buddy, Yannick Sire, brought out his '69 International Harvester 800. Yep, that's what it's titled and register as. He should've taken pics of the day he took to the CHP office to get it OK'd. Now, he can drive everyday.

Yannick hasn't been able to touch it lately to get the body on it. He's moved to a better shop and suddenly gotten busy with paying customers. The rear differential has a top side Watt's link and cantilever coil over shock set up. All custom made by Yannick. He built this car last year in two and half months from mock up in the driveway to driving vehicle. He did this at home in the driveway, not at his shop, and after working on customer cars all day. Talk about quick with a welder.

To ease himself in getting in and out, the entire roof lifts tilts up with the dash panel. That roof and windshied are from
    a Karman Ghia.

I still think these are the coolest headers ever!! The pair of 383's make about 920 hp at the wheels. They have AFR heads, Engle hydraulic roller cams, Air Gap intakes and 750 Holleys. This thing weighs 2500 lbs. You can do the fun math here.

This is a shot of the engine coupler. I think he made it from a two piece drive shaft. The engines are 45* offset to get them in balance. He's a bit hard to talk to at shows. I don't think he was expecting the overwhelming crowds and questions he'd get when he brings it out.

This '31 Model A five window is all Henry Ford steel and just envy enducing. It's old school brown laquer.

Out front is an even fire Olds 231 V6 with a pair of Holley 94's. With head work and a big cam, this little V6 makes just over 300 hp. Enough for some major fun.

Old step vans are in ample supply in SoCal. In the hispanic neighborhoods, you can see them turned into mobile groceries. This one gets to advertise a local car shop.

That's real patina on this Model A two door sedan. That's a sbc Chevy trying to disguise itself as an Olds Rocket. No matter.

I think every F100 in SoCal showed up Saturday. Wow.

This F100 Panel Van had it's patriotic coat on.

Under the hood of a flat black 53 F100 was this Mod Motor. It's nice to see this plentiful V8 getting some love in the rodding world.

This '35 Ford pickup had the flat black when it rolled in, but it got all that bitchin stripes while here at the show. The tri-color stripes were applied by four of the greatest painters in the business.

Two New Yorkers in two weeks. This '56 got some air bags to plant it on the asphalt.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Re: Source Interlink Von Fink's Squirrel Hair Panel Jam/Charity Car Show

It seems every day another barn find shows up. This one claims to be an original hot rod built just after WWII and stored in a barn from '54 to '98. It's been repair and made roadworthy and not restored. Not restored? The hell you say.

The Model A still had it's four popper, but with a high compression '32 head, later ignition, '40 Ford juice brakes, Lincoln trans, and several other improvements of the day.

Inside, a mexican blanket covers the seat.

Bright, bright blue. No problem finding this one at the mall's lot.

This '59 Caddy sedan has been owned by it's current care taker for the last 23 years. It's gotten a mild custom touch.

The original 390 went to a buddy restoring a 59 convertible. This is the '70 Eldo 500 with 10.25:1 compression, 440 hp and 550 hp. That was stock. He added to that with a high rise intake, Holley carb, and uppity cam. I like his cold air setup made with Home Depot bits attached to an early 80's dual snorkle air cleaner.

This pro streeted 65 Mustang got it's quarter panels pushed out 2 1/2 inches to add to to the room for the big meats out back. Those air intakes behind the door are functional.

This '68 Mustang fastback GTA has all the looks of a car that prowled the streets in the 80's looking for races. I used to race against a car that looked nearly identical to this one.

The original 390 got replaced with the latest in speed tech in the way of a 392 ci Windsor.

One needs a very cool Plymouth long roof to carry one's long boards to the beach when the surf is up.

More Mopars were lined up along the side of the Source office. Inside, is the cube farm.

The wide mouth grille of 70 Charger R/T's look like they swallow Mustangs and Camaros whole.

Our Ryan Walker has a '64 Malibu SS he's trying to decide to keep or sell. Here's one similar to his.

This insanely bright yellow '69 Camaro had the engine note that made everyone get up and take notice. That roar came from a Bill Mitchell Hardcore sbc 427 that pumps 600 hp using the whole catalog of World products.

GM's lineup of big cars in 1958 really swung for the far fence with their huge grilles, literally tons of chrome, a sweepy lines.

Another rolling advertisement of one's shop talents. Nice business card.

The hood got chopped into scallops to show off the Olds V8.

I'm neither a fan of Magenta or Fushia for paint color choices, but I couldn't discount the amazing quality this paint job. Look at the reflection of paint against paint. Stunning.

You have a really cool car that you want to get photographed? Don't park it half in the shade and half in the sun. Mag editors will have no choice, but walk on by. I'm not a mag editor and took a pic anyways.

One of the guys in my Dad's RC 135 flight group had a fuelie '57 Corvette. He took me for a ride. I'll never forget that day. I can't remember his name, but it's his fault I'm a car junkie.

This is lovely Raquel who braved leaning up against my beast for a couple pics. What a sweetie too. She got herself pinstriped along with those wild high heels.

A lot more to come. Stay tuned.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Bitchin!

Comment

Re: Source Interlink Von Fink's Panel Jam/Charity Car Show/Open House Pics!

Source Interlink opened up their offices, photo studio, and shop to the show attendees. The photo studio is amazing. Great lighting and a hangout area to chill while Randy or Wes shoot pics of your hot car. The studio was where the pinstripers and air brush guys and gals pulled out their brushes and air guns, then went to work making works of art.

Here's a look at the studio from the roll up door. It's quite crowded now. The cars lined up on the floor are getting striped. For a donation, you could get one, or two, of the best stripers around give you some nice lines.

Off to the right is this room. I'm not sure what they call it, but the walls curve down to the floor with a three foot radius curve to eliminate the line between floor and wall. The floors and walls get repainted constantly to eliminate tire tracks and foot prints. Someone's hot '55 Chevy was in there with back lighting and diffuse lighting over head. Even I can take decent pics of the car in there.

Outside that room is a lift that is for taking pictures of the undercarriage of your car. That cool 39 Ford coupe is up there to show how they do it. The lighting has been turned to light the guys painting the cars. He had plywood under his car because it leaked and the suspension is mostly stock under there.

Below the '39 Ford, is this totally cool retro '56 Chevy owned by Bob Melhoff. He plucked a 70 LT1 from a wrecked Vette back in the day and stuffed it under the hood here along with the Vette's Muncie. The only change since then was an updated cam design and an Air Gap intake.

here's that '35 Ford pickup in the midst of it's striping.

In the back of the studio the tables were set up and art work began.

This totally cool flamed '56 Chevy 9 passenger wagon belongs to striper Jeff Styles. It's his work car. I'm jealous.

Photoshoots can take hours so having a comfy place to hang out is a must. Also, there are often ladies in these shoots who have to get dressed and primped. Behind that wall are a dressing room and a hair/makeup room.

Over on the other side of the building is the The Shop. It's shared by all the mags that work out of this building including the motorcycle mags. Those guys/gals are the only ones allowed to store vehicles here. Those chain link fences are like lockers to store tools and parts for articles. You can see the only rack way in the back with a 67 Chevy pickup on it.

This '10 belongs to Keith Stone, the Keystone Light Beer spokesman. Youtube his name for fun commercials.

I think this bright emerald green and white mild custom is a '52 Chevy. It's sweet and almost looks like a big piece of candy. I'm hungry.

Ooooo. Another flamed out '57 Chevy. This one is red. Duh. I like it.

I didn't confirm this, but I was told that this late 60's Ford F100 short bed is getting the whole treatment in Custom Classic Trucks. I like those large variety Magnum 500 wheels.

Under the missing hood is Mod Motor Madness with a supercharger. I'm going out on a limb and say it's a 5.4 ltr variety.

Inside, are Mustang buckets, and a big hole in the floor for trans tunnel mods to fit in the auto/overdrive trans.

Out back in the bed, are some of the window pieces and the wheel tubs getting modded for more room.

This '70 Lemans GT belongs to Randy Lorentzen. It's hot. I really like the paint scheme. I wasn't able to get any news of what's hiding under hood. I'm going to pretend it's a nasty 455 poncho.

This C10 short bed is getting all kinds of suspension goodies from CPP. I'm hoping it will be running at the Goodguys OC show and autocross. I wanna see this thing getting tossed around tight turns. Those little white wall tires are in for a beating. hehe.

After talking with Jeff Styles, I decided my Impala needed some color in that sea of flat black. We decided on a long stripe in red and creme. Here he is laying the tape.

Jeff took the reigns to lay down the fatter red line.

Right behind Jeff, Ron Hernandez out of Pheonix came along laying the thinner creme color stripe.

All done and waiting for it to dry. Yes, I got after people getting too close to it.

I asked Styles to sign his work for me.

This lovely foot and pump belongs to Mrs. Jeff Styles. She says nothing escapes Jeff's brush work including her shoes.

Styles' tool box.

Another car getting striped at the same time was this '10 Camaro. It's getting subtle flame pin stripes.

Working wedged next to my car was this super cool and rare '53 Ariel Square Four motorcycle. He was getting the tank name hand painted. I've never even heard of this bike before. It had a really cool exhaust note too.

I had to wait a couple hours for the two cars behind me to get finished before I could see my car in the sunlight. It was worth it.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

no more powerbuilt toolboxes

once again reb , great job in the blinding sun

Comment

Great job again Scott, you make it interesting, I looked and studied every picture, wish I was there!

Comment

SWEET!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Nice job on the pics

Comment

great pics, looked like good times

this one is owned by Larry Woods, he has recently retired from a job at Mattel, he had a lil known job being the chief designer for Hot Wheels

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Great Job, Scott! As usual. Great cars showed up, for sure. I LOVE the Nash.

Dan

Comment

I'm supposed to be studying for finals! Oooo something shiny!
                      Dustin in Pennsylvania

Comment

Nice job Reb - I think the 60's Ford pickup is an ongoing article in Classic Trucks - Bumpside Buildup - Grant Peterson.
                        I havn't finished looking at the one that came in the mail last week yet, I enjoy that magazine. Jim Rizzo, recently of Rod & Custom is back as editor.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

That was way more interesting than most of the stuff Source has put out......... very nice job & thanks!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Scott, did you get a new camera or something? you seem to have stepped up your photography game!!

As usual, the writing is great. Totally enjoyed the pics and writeup. Nice stripes on your car too,

-Scott
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                              great pics, looked like good times

this one is owned by Larry Woods, he has recently retired from a job at Mattel, he had a lil known job being the chief designer for Hot Wheels

Yes, Booghar, you are right. I forgot that. Mattel's west coast headquarters are not far from Source's offices. I just remembered that the corporate headquarters has a corporate toy store. hmmmm.......

Glad you guys enjoy this stuff. No, Diesel, I didn't get a new camera. I've just been taking a bit more time shooting pics. Reading the directions helped too.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X