Anybody remember these things ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody remember these things ?

I was diggin thru some shoeboxes of pictures looking for a certain pic and I came across some pics of the NHRA Pro Stock Trucks. I took these pics at the tracks in Baytown and Ennis

who knows, maybe 50 years from now these pics might show up again in some magazine like HR Deluxe
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Re: Anybody remember these things ?

Yup - sure do.

I thought they were cool, 'cuz even back then they looked more like the street versions of the trucks than Pro Stock cars did.

Nowadays, with Pro stock cars basically funny cars with doors, who knows how the trucks would have evolved?

Too bad how poorly NHRA treated the teams who had invested in the series...shamefull actually.

Comment

I loved them! Surprised to see a Harbor Freight Tools truck !
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

A guy here in the area has one he runs in brackets (I think). Bought it for pennies on the dollar or so I've heard. S10 w/some sort of built to the teeth small block. It really screams down the 1/8 mile.

Dan

Comment

IIRC Either Summit or Jegs offered the entire body for one at one point. I remember the S-10 for sure being available, not so sure about the Dakota.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

there was also a handful of rangers, Dyno Don had one, im not sure as to what happened with that pic, Im sure its around somewhere in one of my shoeboxes
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

WHERE ARE THEY NOW

Comment

I hated them. I hate Craftsman truck racing too.
                In general, I think that pavement racing of trucks is just pointless. ??? You race trucks off road or in pulling competitions.
                Don't get me wrong, if you want to take your street truck to the track and race it, that's cool. Run what you brung. 8)
                But building a dedicated race truck for drag, circle track or road racing is like playing baseball with a 4"x4" instead of a bat. Thousands of people before you have already figured out the best weight distribution and shape for what you are doing, why would you want to ignore all their experience?

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                  WHERE ARE THEY NOW
                  Lots of the trucks are now racing super gas, competiton eliminator, top sportsman, and there are a sparse few running in Super Comp.

Originally posted by DanStokes
                  A guy here in the area has one he runs in brackets (I think). Bought it for pennies on the dollar or so I've heard. S10 w/some sort of built to the teeth small block. It really screams down the 1/8 mile.
                  Dan
                  If he bought a complete truck it may have the original motor from it's PST days which would have been a totally bad ass 358ci small block. The best part of the class were the 10,000 rpm engines that the trucks ran. They sound incredible. One of the motors found it's way into a bad ass vega up here with a G-Force transmission. Mechanical symphony.

Originally posted by Aircooled
                  In general, I think that pavement racing of trucks is just pointless. ??? You race trucks off road or in pulling competitions.
                  Don't get me wrong, if you want to take your street truck to the track and race it, that's cool. Run what you brung. 8)
                  But building a dedicated race truck for drag, circle track or road racing is like playing baseball with a 4"x4" instead of a bat. Thousands of people before you have already figured out the best weight distribution and shape for what you are doing, why would you want to ignore all their experience?
                  That's the practical engineer in you talking, and there's nothing you have said that can be disputed. You have to remember that when this deal started up, the Craftsman (nee Camping World) trucks had just gotten going and were making huge press and garnering lots of attention. This was an obvious attempt to get in on that action.

Few things have ended uglier or messier in drag racing history than the pro stock trucks.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Aircooled
                    o.k. I see your point, but ask you this..
                    why own and drive/fix an old car then..
                    as all you listed applies to them also..
                    but people do.. and love them. for the lack of fit and finish, safety, road noise, harshness,drum brakes, bad handle'n..
                    with you post. it also makes no sense to , fix/drive an older car.. when the newer ones will run circles around them..

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Few things have ended uglier or messier in drag racing history than the pro stock trucks.

Brian
                      Hey, Bruab... whadda ya say ya stir up a little muck and enlighten us on some of that ugliness. I know when I talk with Unk about it, he just gets grumpy and doesn't say much.

Ron
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I was always a fan of the Pro/Stock trucks.

Comment

No I don't, but I was blinking at that time.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

the late larry kopp and bill jenkins really fried ps truck when it started
                            loved those trucks , but it got killed , cause GM was the only factory support and nhra was plotting to clear the decks at national events to add NOPI classes and pro mods

Comment

The late John Lingenfelter in pic 2 is the brother of my big bossman Charlie Lingenfelter, of Industrial Distribution Group.

Pic of Johns Monza in our suite @ ZMax

Comment

Working...
                              X