Young and stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young and stupid

The story starts last summer when I decided I wanted more power, nothing new here.  I figured I could get a little mote by advancing the timing because my dad set it back after I got done racing so I could drive it home.  I liked it better with the timing advanced, streetability be damned.  So I went out and tried to bump the timing but turned it too far, oops.  Tried to get it close to where it was before and tightened the bolt back down on the distributor and hoped for the best.  Then I went to start it, yes I did just try and adjust the timing with the engine off.  After a couple of cranks... BOOM.  A really loud backfire and a chunk of exhaust missing.  I could also hear that there was at least one pushrod bent, luckily I have spares from the last time I changed them.  After getting the timing back to where it was driveable again, I drove it around all summer, took it to the track, found out I was a full second slower with no traction problems this time. 
    The fall comes around and I decide I want to drive my Charger out to school, a lot of my college friends kept bugging me to bring it out.  The weather was nice, drove the car around all summer with no problems, figured it'd be alright.  The 2-hour interstate ride out went well, nice weather, just cruising along enjoying every minute of it.  While I was out at school, she ran normal, could still hear the tapping of the bent pushrod, gave some rides, everything was good.  The ride home was a different story.  It started off good and ran normal on the interstate, but when I got off, I noticed it didn't have any kind of power in low RPMs.  I hoped it was the cooler temperature, but knew it wasn't.  When I got closer to home, I decided to try a burnout, didn't happen.  I made it home and basically parked it for the rest of the year. 
    Today I took the intake off to change the pushrod or pushrods and this is what greeted me.

This last one you can't see in the picture, but the end is broken off of the left pushrod, I didn't realize it until looking at the picture now.

2 broken, at least 2 bent
    Hopefully the missing end is sitting in the oilpan and it'll come out whit the oil, we'll see.

Re: Young and stupid

So how long did you drive around with zero oilpressure? ;)
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Might be time to invest in a timing light. That "Crank the distributor around to - um - HERE" stuff really doesn't work for me. Nor does it seem to work for you. Hope everything works out OK.

Dan

Comment

ha, the oil pressure gauge read 0 for a while because the line got a hole in it and I just blocked off the hole in the engine until I could get a new line.

Originally posted by DanStokes
        Might be time to invest in a timing light. That "Crank the distributor around to - um - HERE" stuff really doesn't work for me. Nor does it seem to work for you. Hope everything works out OK.

Dan
        I actually have a timing light, I had to use that to get it back to where it should be. I don't really know what I was thinking, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Comment

OPPSIEE

Comment

I always like finding bent pushrods and lifters tossed out of their holes.

Why does the closeup pic of the two pushrods, the one on the right looks to broken and welded back together?

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm not sure why it looks like that, I think it just crushed like that, maybe even on the initial backfire. The two pieces will probably come apart, they're pretty loose and definately not welded. Maybe it was the flash from the camera or other lighting, I'm not photographer. I think I'd have to park it for a while if the engine got hot enough to weld metal.

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                OPPSIEE

Man, we really need to send you back to school.
                Your spelling is awful. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                  OPPSIEE

say it as it's written 8)

Comment

Originally posted by min301
                    OPPSIEE

say it as it's written 8)
                    ;D

Comment

so how do you know which lifter goes back into which bore????
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                        one potata, two potata..

Comment

Apparently they're different sizes because one of them was too big for the hole on the left.

I also found the other piece of the pushrod resting between two valvesprings, glad it didn't go anywhere and break anything else. Final tally was 3 bent, 2 broken.

Comment

Close your eyes and just pick one...... ???

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
                            1966 Plymouth Fury III
                            2014 Dodge Ram 1500
                            Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
                            Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

Different size lifters?...WOW!
                              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Working...
                              X