Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think my "Automotive ADD" may be kicking in again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my "Automotive ADD" may be kicking in again...

Saw a Mercedes 300TD wagon today. I don't what it is about that car, but I really like it! So much so, I may start hunting for one soon. For those not familiar with the 300TD, here are some pics...

The kicker is I've never been crazy about any Mercedes. One thing I do not like about this car is the 5 cylinder diesel engine. At some point that would have to go. In keeping with its turbo heritage, I'd probably go with a Ford 2.3 turbo/5 speed combo. I figure it would be easier fitting it between the frame rails than a V-8.

Thoughts?

Re: I think my "Automotive ADD" may be kicking in again...

sure why not...

BUT.. 5 cyls and dieseled is not exactly the insanity audi did with one. It is very smart in the mercedes.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I had a 300D for a while ran it on WVO when gas was $4 / gal it had some neat stuff 4 wheel disc brakes, IRS, "they" say the engine will run on almost anything ei burnt motor oil I never tried it. If you like it get it, but if you want a 2.3t 5 speed i would say get a fox ltd or fairmont wagon! ;D

I know what you mean about auto ADD I sold the MB for $1000 add now i feel like i need to find another car to replace it, of course i love the thrill of the hunt!
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

I know a kid who ran one on restaurant grease and had a big auxiliary tank in the back of the car...which ruptured....filling the car with said grease. :D
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell
          If you like it get it, but if you want a 2.3t 5 speed i would say get a fox ltd or fairmont wagon! ;D
          I've thought of that also, but they're getting harder to find. At least with the MG, it'll give me that excuse I need to take a welding class or something (I don't think they make motor mounts for this conversion). I like "dare to be different" cars. ;) One thing I have to be careful of though...is the wife "taking ownership" of my project. She's already managed to wiggle her ass in between me and the Cougar. I don't know how the hell that happened, but it's happened nonetheless. Stupid she is not. Anyone else have that happen?

Comment

This would be the perfect fodder for the swap...

I figure having a whole turbo car would help facilitate a swap like this. Beats having to pillage trough junkyards for all the stuff I'd need. Again, this is just thoughts running through my head right now. I gotta get the family moved down to VA before I could even consider something like this.

Comment

I'm with most of the rest, find another LTD wagon like that one we tried to get for you. Those 300TDT's command decent coin in good shape and that I5 diesel is a tank of a motor. Get a gas powered wagon and do the 2.3 SOHC and T-5 swap and let me drive the 300TDT.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Here's another one and it's even running this time!
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Shannon - take it from me - I've lost $$$ on trying the alternative fuel mercedes diesel thing.... worst car I've ever owned - mine was a W124 chassis (the pictures are of the previous w123) mine had the 606.910 aluminum head 24v non turbo diesel - an engine not imported more than a couple years here and a total fargin nightmare.

So - if you do go with one of the benz - get the 123 (4 round headlight) versions, and get a turbo... I think the later ones had a 6 cyl turbo - and that's THE one to get.

There are forums on the benz, and there are avid supporters that swear they will run forever... but it's a learning curve everything is different right down to the fuses, and just about everything has to be ordered - you won't find parts on any shelves for these things at your local parts store.

As much as parts cost and the hassle factor of the unfamiliar -- I'd urge you to stick with something you know - and has a common powertrain. Free fuel is an intoxicating attraction - but it can be quickly eclipsed with the price of parts.... I'm still trying to sell parts I didn't install on mine, and I sold it a year ago.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

in my neck of the woods, the older benzs are extremely popular, I dont know jack squat about them but I do like the looks of them, There are two area shops in the same city as me that do nothing but repair old benzs, and benzs only and both the shops are extremely busy. I know at one time there was also a local guy who was doing SBC conversions in benzs and jags and he had a heck of a buisiness too but not sure what ever happened to him
                    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

BOOO hits the nail on the head. Why does a relatively low sales volume vehicle NEED two busy specialty shops and a guy converting them to American power? Because the darn things are BROKEN all the time! Great money in fixing them and a never-ending stream of customers. In fact, these things put the "cuss" in customer.

No Thanks
                      Dan

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                      in my neck of the woods, the older benzs are extremely popular, I dont know jack squat about them but I do like the looks of them, There are two area shops in the same city as me that do nothing but repair old benzs, and benzs only and both the shops are extremely busy. I know at one time there was also a local guy who was doing SBC conversions in benzs and jags and he had a heck of a buisiness too but not sure what ever happened to him

Comment

First an Exploder and now a Merc Wagon ?
                        I think Captain Caveman hit you on the head way too hard !!
                        :P

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                          BOOO hits the nail on the head. Why does a relatively low sales volume vehicle NEED two busy specialty shops and a guy converting them to American power? Because the darn things are BROKEN all the time! Great money in fixing them and a never-ending stream of customers. In fact, these things put the "cuss" in customer.

No Thanks
                          Dan

Originally posted by BOOOGHAR
                          AMEN brother - turds of stuttgart

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
                            First an Exploder and now a Merc Wagon ?
                            I think Captain Caveman hit you on the head way too hard !!
                            :P
                            :D :D :D

What can I say? I like a wide array of cars. ;) I thought I'd get more support for the 2.3 Ford swap into a Mercedes. I think this is the first time someone hasn't been enabled around here. ;D

Maybe I need to step away from this particular batch of Kool-Aid...

Comment

I'm trying to get a grip on my ADD. That's why I'm not encouraging a wagon painted black with the 190E evolution body work on some vintage mesh wheels... that'd be ridiculous(ly awesome).
                              Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Working...
                              X