Possibly moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly moving

Unemployed since November. I have a good shot at a job that would require me to move about 200 miles away. It's in an area full of paper mills. I'd miss my friends of 40 years. I'd be leaving behind two of my (grown) kids. I don't know anyone in that area, and haven't even been there yet.
    BUT...there's a dragstrip in town. Wisconsin International Speedway.

Re: Possibly moving

200 miles is nothing dude. You'll be fine. That's only a 3 hour drive. Around here that is a 50 mile drive LOL.

Wisconsin International is a drag strip, but it aint pretty. But, beggars can't be choosers.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Its different Chad ;D Only track in the nation that the dragstrip is also the return road.Make a run,go up the hill and turn around. :o

Comment

200 south is better than 200 north.

Comment

good luck..
          a job is a good thing..

Comment

Heres some video from DragWeek 07.

Comment

Paper mills stink....literally :P. Have you ever been by one?
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

oldrustycars,

Is this place you might be moving to anywhere near Appleton, WI? If it is that is a nice area. I grew up there. And yes, the paper mills do stink...your best best is to not live close to one. Where I lived, the only time we could smell the paper mills was in the summer when the wind was blowing in a certain direction, but most of the time we couldn't smell them.

Comment

paper mills ? thought the russians and chicoms took over that business
                  good luck to you old friend
                  seems like the urban area GM mechanic is getting to be a dying breed too

Comment

In Kansas the wind either blows from the north or south.Where I grew up the sewage treatment plant was on the south end of town and the feedlot was at the north end.No win situation. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      paper mills ? thought the russians and chicoms took over that business
                      good luck to you old friend
                      seems like the urban area GM mechanic is getting to be a dying breed too
                      and the Poles, and Czechs....

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If it's good work you will be fine. I had to make the big move two years ago. Moved from California to Nevada, 235 miles. The hardest thing was convincing myself it was the right thing to do. I was fifth generation to be born and raised in my home town.

Comment

It's been part of life for me.

Born and raised in the 'burbs of Chicago (folks moved from NJ in '65 with the plan to stay 5 years, never went back)

College in Kalamazoo, first job in Elkhart, second job in OH, been in the motorcity almost 10 years now.

If the quality of life will be better - it's worth the move, only you can answer that question.

Just remember, sometimes more money doesn't equal better quality of life....
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Yep, Page, its in Kaukauna. I'd be working for Ditch Witch, which was my first mechanic job. This dealer is woned by the same man as the one I started at, we've spoken over the years. My first day as a mechanic I carried all my tools in two little Craftsman gray toolboxes, the ones with the handles on top.
                            At this point if I get offered the job I'll have to take it. I love Wisconsin, I'm sure it'll be OK.

Comment

Kaukauna (and that whole Appleton, Little Chute, Neenah, Menasha, Grand Chute, Kimberly area) is nice. Big enough to have everything you need or want within a short drive, but small enough to not have all the hassles and mess of the big city.

Comment

Working...
                              X