Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy 500

67 cars entered. 10 teams from the USA.
    Seventy-six cars entered. All cars use Dallara chassis, Honda engines and Firestone tires.
    Remember when the INDY 500 had different engines and encouraged inovation?
    It reminds me of a SPEC series in the SCCA.

>

Nick Leone

Re: Indy 500

is it 67 cars or 76

Comment

Dyslexia strikes again 76 cars.
      Nick ;D

Comment

I live less than 12 miles south of that l'il ol track at 16th&Georgetown...finally went to my first 500 last year.

The history and such was great....but I'm with ya on the diversity of the cars competing, or moreso the LACK thereof.

Getting back to those kinds of programs is what's needed to "save" the Greatest Spectacle in Racing(hush, Spidey...I can hear ya catcalling clear from Joisey ;D).

Stuff like the turbine cars and Yunick's "side-pod" are what made it interesting...that and the crazy nuts that raced back then like A.J., Mario, Big Al, Jim Hurtibise and so on.......

Want chills? Go to the infield museum and stand next to one of those old Novis, gaze at the old Offenhauser mills....mechanical ecstasy.

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
          I live less than 12 miles south of that l'il ol track at 16th&Georgetown...finally went to my first 500 last year.

The history and such was great....but I'm with ya on the diversity of the cars competing, or moreso the LACK thereof.

Getting back to those kinds of programs is what's needed to "save" the Greatest Spectacle in Racing(hush, Spidey...I can hear ya catcalling clear from Joisey ;D).

Stuff like the turbine cars and Yunick's "side-pod" are what made it interesting...that and the crazy nuts that raced back then like A.J., Mario, Big Al, Jim Hurtibise and so on.......

Want chills? Go to the infield museum and stand next to one of those old Novis, gaze at the old Offenhauser mills....mechanical ecstasy.
          Chris is spot on - the history of "the great race" is far more interesting than what is running now. I don't know how they could resurrect the interest of the old days - i'm sure it's too expensive to field a car for just one race.... but spec racing is just so boring.
          I hope someone comes up with something to save it before people just stop going.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I've said it before, but the only tech (outside of safety) at the Indy 500 should be as follows:

A giant-ass sheet of plywood
            A large hole in the plywood

Anything that fits through the hole can qualify.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I've had one idea that would make it a bit more interesting, at least for gearheads like us.

Instead of one manufacturer supplying boring cookie cutter spec engines
              they should simply set an engine "formula" like F1 does.

For example: All powerplants have to be a normally asperated, 3.5 litre fuel injected V6
              using a production block, or something like that. I can't think of a manufacturer
              that dosen't make one, FORD, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan etc.
              Let the teams source and build their own engines like they used to.

Although, the plywood idea would be cool also!
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

1-Must fit through hole in plywood

2-Spec "tub" driver's compartment for safety

3-You get one 55 gallon drum of fuel of your choice

4-No wings

Have at it.

Comment

55GAL OF FUEL FOR 500 MILES...
                  come on..
                  I don't want to see a bunch of eco boxs racing

Comment

It's a sad caricature of its former greatness. Where once it was the epitome of creativity its now a lowly spec series.

I quit watching after Penske snookered 'em with his "pushrod" engine. it was probably the last great bit of creative rule reading that was allowed to occur.

Comment

economy runs are lame
                      make it a 300 miler

Comment

Some things are just NOT to be tampered with, Jim....."Indy 300?"

Yeh....didn't think so, either.

I like Brian's idea.....and this track/race meant so much more when it was not merely a stop on a lame-duck series.

I wanna see the turbines return....wonder how a turbo'ed rotary would do?

Metric Hemi in race form, anyone? Howsabout an electric racecar(OK, that's stretching it a bit)..........

Comment

honda passing the honda for the lead , going around the honda 2 laps down

go danica patrick !!!

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                            Some things are just NOT to be tampered with, Jim....."Indy 300?"

Yeh....didn't think so, either.

I like Brian's idea.....and this track/race meant so much more when it was not merely a stop on a lame-duck series.

I wanna see the turbines return....wonder how a turbo'ed rotary would do?

Metric Hemi in race form, anyone? Howsabout an electric racecar(OK, that's stretching it a bit)..........
                            have yet to see a metric hemi in race form -yuck yuck -maybe at the NHRA e town we will see one

Comment

El Spido, this baby throws header flames like a mo fo. It ain't a racer, but it's a neato piece.

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X