Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Insurance for your junk. Who's good....who sucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance for your junk. Who's good....who sucks?

Ok, so I am finally getting ready to register and insure Goliath and I'm hunting around for insurance.

So far it looks like American Collector is the best with an insanely low price of like 66 bucks a year for the coverage I want. I am going with a stated value policy (and the stated value is pretty low )

Who do you use? Good stories? Horror stories?
    That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Insurance for your junk. Who's good....who sucks?

I go thru Allstate, my agent also offers Haggerty. I went with the Allstate policy as they have an agreed value on the hot rods. I sat down with my agent and we went thru all of the receipts and provided them with detailed photos. We agreed on $18,000 for the Chevelle and $24,000 for the Camaro. Without looking at the policy, I don't know what break down is, but we are right at $600 +/- every 6 months for the two cars plus my truck and Momma's Pathfinder.

Get this, my motorcycle is only $70/year for full coverage.......
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Checked with Hagerty and with Grundy for quotes on all the Studebakers that I've owned in the past and the one I currently own - however, my State Farm agent who insures my DD Ranger always comes through with a lower quote. Right now I have an "stated value" policy that insures the Wagonaire for less than $90 per year for a collector car worth around $12,000.

I am quite happy with the policy, and the agent and I have had a good relationship for over 30 years. He used to insure my home (until I lost it), and covers my brothers vehicles and homes (he has several rental properties), and my mom insures her home, vehicles, and business with him.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

this subject is bothersome..
        Especially when it comes to modding steel. I have yet to keep a vehicle with an oe frame.. and ya know. it just might be much uglier than oe to get a closer look, thousands upon thousands of pounds over the flunk that needed it in the first place.

I am still chuckling over the little subaru I attacked with a mig...

The oe games are quite insanely bizarre...crazier than a canuckian sinkhole less than 300 miles to the west....
        speaking of unlikely breakables.. I looked under the kitchen sink for something, saw that an all iron ring that seals the drain broke like a f-body frame rail...shattered. chunks in my hand...I am glad cars are on rubber wheels and bushings..and I still continue to break things leaving a few heads in disbelief.

If I had my truthful way, my locale would probably pay alot because of the weather, and land... I just get what insurance I can, and stay quiet.... keeping the real value of anything in my mind. :
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'm with State Farm, I pay $400 every six months for full coverage on my '06 Duramax and pay $160 every six months for my '99 Camaro, but that only has the basic liability coverage.

Comment

I've got State Farm too. I think the Lightning is about $700 for the year, the purple people eater is $350 a year but that's only liability and the Galaxie is insured as a collector vehicle with an agreed value of $6k and that costs $80 a year.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

For the most part I think they all suck! I added the falcon to my geico policy. I have my 04 silverado and my wife's 08 Chrysler aspen on the same policy . The our dds are insured full coverage and the falcon has an agreed value(falcon runs about $12.00 a month). I will be looking at other insurance companies when I renew. my wife totaled her 05 trailblazer in DEC 09 and it has not been a pleasent experience trying to deal with geico. we settled on the trailblazer but the medical bills were more than the at fault drivers insurance limits. we are filing a claim on our underinsured motorist coverage and that has been the PITA.They are easy to deal with until they have to pay out.
              It's a Tri-Power Inline six [email protected] in the 1/8th

Comment

grundy
                agreed value policy..
                10k coverage is 192 a year..
                so if it's totally the cut a check for 10k
                stated value, be carefull. they are alowed to deprecate it over time..
                no matter.. brian, your gonna be stuck with normal ma. insurance..
                not collector car, as most require it(car) be garaged..
                good luck tho

Comment

I use Grundy.
                  Agreed value.
                  Good rate.
                  No mileage limit.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

3 driving kiddos....don't ask me about low cost insurance....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hagerty, just renewed for another year.
                      Used the flatbed service once last year. :
                      Same rate this year as last, even with one additional speeding ticket :D
                      Claimed value of about 30 g's, three hundred something per year. the ONLY part of the project that was less expensive that expected.

Comment

Originally posted by IRONHEAD
                        grundy
                        agreed value policy..
                        10k coverage is 192 a year..
                        so if it's totally the cut a check for 10k
                        stated value, be carefull. they are alowed to deprecate it over time..
                        no matter.. brian, your gonna be stuck with normal ma. insurance..
                        not collector car, as most require it(car) be garaged..
                        good luck tho

I'm working a deal with a neighbor to park the truck in his garage to meet the insurance requirement. American collector is looking like the leader at this point. I'm only going 5K on the stated value because all said and done I will have about 3k into the truck on the high side.

Brian

Comment

Brian I have my 34 ford insured with grundy for agreed 5K and it added only 15 bucks to my total for collector cars. My total for the 39 valued at 30 k and the 34 is only 210 per year.
                          Solutions are often obvious once you get the questions right.

Comment

39 -- good deal!

I'll call Grundy on Monday and see what they've got!

Comment

I wish I didn't drive my junk so much, then I could get those good rates.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
                              X