Blind man sees again after stem cell transplant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind man sees again after stem cell transplant

Stem Cells, making the blind see again. Just amazing.

Mike May, of California, had been blind for 40 years since an accident at the age of three where he lost one eye and was blinded in the other.

During that time he had some ability to perceive light, but could not make out form or contrast.

He said he had no visual memories from his early childhood.

The operation transplanted corneal and limbal stem cells into his right eye.

The cornea is the clear part of the outer layer of the eye that covers the iris and the pupil. The limbus is the thin area that connects the cornea and the sclera, the white part of the eye.

Shapes

Researchers followed his recovery in order to study how Mr May learned to see again.

They measured areas such as how he perceived shapes, his spatial awareness and how he saw 3D images.

When he was tested five months after surgery, the patient was able to perceive slight movements of a bar and was able to recognise simple shapes.

Two years after the surgery, Mr May was able to see form, colour and motion almost normally.

Re: Blind man sees again after stem cell transplant

Wow.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

gettin political again ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
        gettin political again ?
        Nope, just passing on some information on the advancement of medical science. Maybe someone you know could benefit from this.

Comment

Comment

I think stuff like this is way cool....it's Hot Rodding cell's to make them do things that benefit mankind....

Wicked cool science.... If they could get spinal nerve cells to regenerate like your fingers nerve cells... some of my pal's might walk again .....

K

Comment

How cool is this. I can think of nothing that is cooler than this story. I hope the "hot rodded" cell thing can be used more and more and naturally the sooner the better. I know a couple of kids that I have taught over the years that certainly could benefit from this kind of thing.

Comment

looks like he regained his sight during the embryonic stem cell research ban

Comment

I remember reading an article some time back about a guy who regained sight. He had a very hard time adjusting to the sensory over load. IIRC, he had trouble associating names with visual items and recognizing things. Kinda like being thrown in the deep end of the pool and learning to swim for the first time. Think about it, we take it for granted since we've grown up with it. I would imagine it would be like one of us going blind all of a sudden. Hope he copes with sight. I wish him the best.
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Good stuff.

Comment

I thought Jesus didn't approve of stem cell research?!?!? :D
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

well some of us have a problem with some of the harvesting of said stem cells

Comment

Nothing in this article reeked of politic's or religion.... until we started defining it....

I don't care about politic's or religion when it comes right down to my buddies standing up and walking away from a life time in wheel chairs..... Spidey... you of all folks should stand up and say how important it is for us to have Real progress in medical science....

K

Comment

Working...
                          X