Oil drops again; decline slowly gets to gas pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil drops again; decline slowly gets to gas pump

You know I've been holding my tongue about the price of gas lately, as it seems to be creeping up to the $3 range, and then I read a story that says oil is dropping in price. So should these oil companies be faster at getting the price down at the pump or are we just going to continue to get screwed by these bastards.

Oil prices continue to dramatically spiral downward. A decline in U.S. pump prices apparently will be more drawn out.

Oil fell below $70 Monday for the first time since February due to concerns about the European economy and weakness in the euro. The price has dropped nearly 20 percent since hitting an 18-month high of $87.15 a barrel during trading on May 3.

The decline is expected to soon reduce consumers' gasoline bill. But so far, the cost of a gallon of gas has fallen just 2 percent nationwide since peaking earlier this month at $2.929 per gallon. That pace should pick up heading into the Memorial Day weekend and the summer driving season.

Re: Oil drops again; decline slowly gets to gas pump

Are you surprised? Gas prices won't drop much between now and the Memorial Day holiday. Maybe after, but I wouldn't hold my breathe.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm with you Scott, I just wish they would stop taking advantage of us, and give us a break for awhile. I mean would it really make a difference if they drop the price by 50 cents, the only thing it would hurt is their pocket books, so they make 25 million instead of 30 million, you know what I mean.

Comment

I wonder why they haven't started price gouging based on the spill in the gulf --- I mean this is going to cost BP billions in clean up I'm sure....
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Its been dropping over a week now-significantly and we have been over 3 bucks for reg here in NY for a good 2-3 weeks
          typical crap. Lets get em good before Memorial day

Comment

175 billion gallons a year, for just cars and trucks... lets see if my calculator can handle the big number...

at 2.90 a gallon that is only:
            $507,500,000,000

how will they survive?

damn, they gonna be as rich as microsoft in 3 or four days. :
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

My wife the financial mathmetician says that gas should be around $2.50 as a sign of a rebounding economy. Lower prices means overall reduced demand which translates to lower consumer levels of most items. Over that means either instability in the oil market (significant disruption in refining or production capacity) or a return of speculator pricing. I think it's a combo of the time of the year (memorial day weekend) and the fact that the current price of oil effects gasoline prices somewhere near a week in the future.

Be happy that delay exists because when things happen it's how they zap people for price gouging since they paid the old non "emergency" price for it and can't sell it at double till they have to buy something at the higher rate.
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                Are you surprised? Gas prices won't drop much between now and the Memorial Day holiday. Maybe after, but I wouldn't hold my breathe.
                X2

WITH SPIKES EVERY LONG HOLIDAY W END ALONG THE WAY

Comment

The only way we can send a real message is having millions of us leave all of our toys( motorhomes, boats, bikes, and cars.) in the driveway all weekend. Spend the three day weekend at home barbequeing and watching sports on TV. When the expected demand and useage is not there by a large percentage, then the prices will drop by maybe a dime. If we do again on the 4th of July weekend as well, then we'll see more of a significant drop in prices.

The problem is getting the numbers out there to stay home after a long, cold winter.

Americans strongest voice now is their closed wallet and their votes, but too many of us aren't willing to to do either.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I say this being registered to go on the Power Tour with a 401 AMC V8.
                    Start buying small cars that get 40mpg or some hybrid.
                    Use less gas every chance you can. That will lower the price of gas in Denver which is the end of
                    the gas pipeline for the states east of the Continental divide.

;D
                    Nick

Comment

"They" being companies owned wholly by shareholders - who buy those shares because (gasp) they want to make a money (read, making money from no work on their part - which seems pretty immoral as far as I'm concerned, but this isn't a discussion of morals; rather it's about money)....

So let's get to the bottom line: Want to know how to get a gas discount.... buy shares in the oil companies. Then you too could be part of the "they."
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                        The only way we can send a real message is having millions of us leave all of our toys( motorhomes, boats, bikes, and cars.) in the driveway all weekend. Spend the three day weekend at home barbequeing and watching sports on TV. When the expected demand and useage is not there by a large percentage, then the prices will drop by maybe a dime. If we do again on the 4th of July weekend as well, then we'll see more of a significant drop in prices.

The problem is getting the numbers out there to stay home after a long, cold winter.

Americans strongest voice now is their closed wallet and their votes, but too many of us aren't willing to to do either.
                        Scott
                        Im willing to do both. They can swallow it. And I will be the first guy at the polls come election day too.

Comment

Working...
                        X